• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

A letter from Buick about error P2138: accelerator sensor

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Got a letter today that some of you - specifically '18 owners - should be on the lookout for. GM says there's a possible defect in the connection to one of the car's accelerator position sensors. If affected, the car could go into limp-home mode and give you a Check Engine light and code P2138 (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Correlation). The letter says in bold underline not to take the car to the dealer unless this has already happened. This is covered under a special warranty of 10 years or 150,000 miles. If somehow you've already needed to have this done and paid for it, there's a reimbursement form enclosed. I'm noting that GM is not calling this a recall, or even a TSB. It's just a "notice." But be on the lookout for it regardless.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Got a letter today that some of you - specifically '18 owners - should be on the lookout for. GM says there's a possible defect in the connection to one of the car's accelerator position sensors. If affected, the car could go into limp-home mode and give you a Check Engine light and code P2138 (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Correlation). The letter says in bold underline not to take the car to the dealer unless this has already happened. This is covered under a special warranty of 10 years or 150,000 miles. If somehow you've already needed to have this done and paid for it, there's a reimbursement form enclosed. I'm noting that GM is not calling this a recall, or even a TSB. It's just a "notice." But be on the lookout for it regardless.
I don't recall anyone mentioning this in previous posts. Hopefully it's more of an installation mishap and not a defective part. Guess we just have to wait and see what shakes out. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

LOGO

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Thanks for the heads up.

Along these lines though...

Has anyone looked into the availability of a Sprint Booster for these cars?

I have one in another car of mine and it made a huge difference in throttle response....so much so that it's almost like chipping your car.

It plugs right on and there's 3 modes....stock, Intermediate and race....as well as Valet.

Edit:

Just got off the phone with them and the Regal one should be good for up to 2018 according to them.

Link:

2011 to 2018 BUICK Regal Sprint Booster V3

Last edited:

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2018.5 (White needle) TourX Essence DC1 DC2 S&S Pano
I have also seen ads and some forum mentions about something called Pedal Commander. It sounds similar. I have no personal experience with it.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
Pedal commanders sit in line and interrupt the data going to the TB to tell the TB that the pedal is pressed further than it is. I don't think they are worth it. More worth in doing a tune instead of a pedal commander.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I got that letter from gm.

all I can say is something a pinoy at work says all the time,... "hoo gib a pak., pakin eegit guy"

In other words,.. I'm not too concerned.

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
I wonder if it’s early builds only as my TourX built in the first batch got the letter but the one built a few months later did not.

Red_X

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I wonder if it’s early builds only as my TourX built in the first batch got the letter but the one built a few months later did not.
Wouldn't be surprised at all. Mine was built 1/18. Apparently built before this problem was fixed but just after the TSB on the control arms.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
2/18 build, I haven't seen anything yet.

stembridge

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Wife has the car so I can't check, but I think our build date is 5/18, and we did get the letter. Hit 10K miles yesterday (in 4 months!), no issues.

es

Map18TTourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Tourx
i wonder what happens if you go to the dealer and said the car went into limp mode with this letter..

Anyone with free time wants to find out ;)

6/18- No letter. But i live in NH, might take longer for the mail..

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
i wonder what happens if you go to the dealer and said the car went into limp mode with this letter..

Anyone with free time wants to find out ;)

6/18- No letter. But i live in NH, might take longer for the mail..
The letter clearly states that the incident will set a DTC (diagnostic trouble code.) When the dealer connects their code reader, they will immediately know it didn't happen.

Pedal Commander