• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

A little seat surgery

Prox

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Been loving my Tour X for over 1,000 miles now, but one of my biggest complaints was the seat. Yes, they are great seats and are infinitely adjustable, but I developed a "hot spot" on my left hip. I admit it, I am not a small man (6'2", 280 lbs) so I barely fit comfortably in a Regal as it is. Took a while to notice that the plastic bolster on the outboard side of the bottom cusion was digging into the side of my thigh and was making driving much less enjoyable. I tried to ignore it, shift around, try hundreds of positions etc., but no good solutions. After inspecting thoroughly and deciding nothing could be done cleanly with it mounted, I decided to pull the seat and see if I could trim down the trim. Seat came out remarkably easy with only one connector and four big bolts. Disassembling the side switches and trim was a bit more delicate, but everything was logical and came apart nice. I ended up taking off about 1/4" of the plastic trim as well as bending the thick metal wire that holds the trim in place to the seat. I figure I got about another 1/2" overall width on the seat. I put it all back together and my problem has almost entirely disappeared!! Its amazing how such a little thing can make such a big difference. IMG_9493.jpg IMG_9485.1.jpg IMG_9486.jpg IMG_9487.jpg IMG_9496.jpg IMG_9497.jpg

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
At a boney 6'3" and 195lbs, I have even found my GS seats to be plenty narrow. I know, they're supposed to be narrow sport seats but I did have to move around to stay comfortable on the only 2+ hour trip I've driven. I can't imagine the average North American gorilla sitting in them comfortably.

I'm gonna give the seat a chance to wear in a bit but I doubt I'll ever be able to cut any interior plastic that is visible. I may have to play around with bending that bar outward if it comes to that. Thanks for having the guts to tear into a new car and taking pictures while you were at it!

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
At a boney 6'3" and 195lbs, I have even found my GS seats to be plenty narrow. I know, they're supposed to be narrow sport seats but I did have to move around to stay comfortable on the only 2+ hour trip I've driven. I can't imagine the average North American gorilla sitting in them comfortably.

I'm gonna give the seat a chance to wear in a bit but I doubt I'll ever be able to cut any interior plastic that is visible. I may have to play around with bending that bar outward if it comes to that. Thanks for having the guts to tear into a new car and taking pictures while you were at it!
Average Chinese here (not), 5'11" @ 250lbs, GS seats are fine for me though, I find it miles better than the ones in the Stinger GT and Genesis G70 3.3T. It hits a sweetspot when the side parts are at the widest position. (Actually they are the best I've ever come across, I might find better ones in a Ferrari)

Buick Ownership
New Tourx Owner
I tried this fix and it did not help with my seat comfort. An upholster and glass shop added a 1 1/2 inch high density foam to the middle of the seat with an addition foam over the whole seat bottom using the original seat cover. Looking @ other GM forums it appears that other GM brands owners find their seats uncomfortable. The seat does not look very different just a little thicker. I think this will make the car better for me.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I find that MANY new cars have uncomfortable driver seats. My Tour-X just less uncomfortable than others. Presently using beaded covers on the front seats.

FWIW, my 1994 T-Bird had the VERY BEST seats I’ve ever had.
No butt pain.
No shoulder pain.
No back pain.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I'm 6'2" + on a good day and getting fatter by the day, somewhere around 240 Lbs with a bad back.

My wife & I find the seats comfortable in all our cars, 2018 F-150, 2018 Seinna, 2014 Forester, 03 Cobra and the TourX. The Cobra and the TourX are tight, but I fit just right. Can and have done 400-500 mikes/day in both. Seats would be a problem if I keep expanding.
My body contour must meet some SAE seat standard. I just need to stop every two hours to stretch.
Subie has no lateral or side bolstering, but is surprisingly ok with my lower back. My least favorite seats of the 5 cars,.
2018 F-150, 2018 Seinna are very good. Great place to ZZZZ in second row of captain chair's in the Sienna. Made it to Florida in 2 days, 1700 miles. Returned drove straight thru. That was tough.

STSinNYC

NYC
Buick Ownership
Tour X
Been loving my Tour X for over 1,000 miles now, but one of my biggest complaints was the seat. Yes, they are great seats and are infinitely adjustable, but I developed a "hot spot" on my left hip. I admit it, I am not a small man (6'2", 280 lbs) so I barely fit comfortably in a Regal as it is. Took a while to notice that the plastic bolster on the outboard side of the bottom cusion was digging into the side of my thigh and was making driving much less enjoyable. I tried to ignore it, shift around, try hundreds of positions etc., but no good solutions. After inspecting thoroughly and deciding nothing could be done cleanly with it mounted, I decided to pull the seat and see if I could trim down the trim. Seat came out remarkably easy with only one connector and four big bolts. Disassembling the side switches and trim was a bit more delicate, but everything was logical and came apart nice. I ended up taking off about 1/4" of the plastic trim as well as bending the thick metal wire that holds the trim in place to the seat. I figure I got about another 1/2" overall width on the seat. I put it all back together and my problem has almost entirely disappeared!! Its amazing how such a little thing can make such a big difference. View attachment 14552 View attachment 14553 View attachment 14554 View attachment 14555 View attachment 14556 View attachment 14557
ProX...I too have a big problem with pressure on my hips from the bolsters. The metal rod you circled on the left side of the photo of the disassembled seat...does that go up into the bolster to hold it in place? Not sure what I am seeing in the disassembled view. Keen to learn more about what you did.

Oscarr

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
For me, my original GS seats were untenable. After a week of owning the car and breaking it in my back was so sore literally I could hardly walk. It was a problem because I loved the car but couldn't sit in the seat. I got an essence seat and it bolted right in, the wiring worked no problem. But it still wrecked my back. I did what 1612202 did and put foam on the base to fill in the cupped out part. I cured it and now comfortable as can be, no back issues.

yaklich

looking at buying a GS but lets face it, I'm fat and the bolster digs into my left thigh. I even tested a normal essence and it still digs in. I don't mind going to an upholstery shop to get things fixed, but was wondering if anyone else had the seat bolster made less painful without adding foam to the middle of the seat? I fear it may take away the precious headroom that I'm already Lacking at 6'5".

basically, anyone have them cut the foam in the bolster or any other actual "surgery" that gets rid of the metal bar or anything?

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
The GS seats are certainly plenty narrow... I don't have any advice on how to make the seat work for you but I do have something to say about headroom. Unless you're dead set on having the sunroof, try to find one without it. It's ridiculously small by today's standards (for the Sportback), eliminates the overhead sunglasses holder, and reduces headroom. The Regals without a sunroof have a little over 2" of additional headroom.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!