A Look into the GM 3.1 engine

G-731596

I have a 2002 buick century with the 3.1L, 3100 in it. It runs great but has a ticking noise to it. Does anyone know what would be the most likely cause?

Wiscobuick87

Buick Ownership
Current 99 Century Past: 98 Century 95 Century 05 Lacrosse
I have a 2002 buick century with the 3.1L, 3100 in it. It runs great but has a ticking noise to it. Does anyone know what would be the most likely cause?
It’s probably lifter tick. If it’s usually when cold the lifters tended to make some noise on these motors nothing to worry about and no fix for it.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

RydorDi

Buick Ownership
2003 century
+1 for me! I'm looking for the right 2005 Century and now I know what I'm in for. Assuming I need to have the intake manifold gasket done, any ideas on labor hours and parts cost?

It looks like I can do the rest myself!

Thanks.
What a great post.. I just got done with my post and I was thinking I was being played by the mechanic.. I s there a way to make sure the work is done?

chem_man

Buick Newbie
Fallston, MD
Buick Ownership
1999 Century
RydorDi, Welcome to the Forum!

Probably the easiest way to tell if the work has been done is to look at the passenger side of the engine behind the water pump and under the valve cover and look for "fresh looking" RTV sealant. It might be orange, clear, blue or black. This is where the lower intake manifold meets the block and the cylinder head and per the factory service manual and the gasket kit (assuming the mechanic used one from Fel-Pro, Victor-Reinz or General Motors) and RTV sealant is required in order to ensure a seal at these points (there are 4 of them - one at each end of the cylinder head).

I do not have a picture of it but I'll take one and post it later this evening.

chem_man

Buick Newbie
Fallston, MD
Buick Ownership
1999 Century
RydorDi, as promised here are two pictures, one for each side. You can see the orange RTV in the pictures. You should see something similar.

Attachments

• Intake Manifold Driver Side 1.JPG
    Intake Manifold Driver Side 1.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 3
  • Intake Manifold Passenger Side 1.JPG
    Intake Manifold Passenger Side 1.JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 3