Thread starter #1

Sal Collaziano

Buick: World Class Luxury
Staff member
Royal Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Buick Ownership
None right now
EDIT: ACTUALLY... <--

So, you've probably heard the news by now that the Buick Avista will never be developed. GM has a long history of tantalizing us with beautifully designed automobiles that it'll never make. A few of the most recent examples are the Cadillac Sixteen, the Cadillac Elmiraj, the Cadillac Ciel, the Buick Avenir and now the Buick Avista. Buick says the public's reaction wasn't enthusiastic enough and "It was purely a concept and meant to generate some buzz"...

That's a real shame because The Avista is the kind of car that people dream of owning some day. A highly aspirational type of vehicle. Perhaps designs like these are a gift template for other manufacturers to learn from and build themselves. What are your thoughts on beautiful concepts like these that Buick and GM have no intention of building?

ITguy54

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
GM is full of crap when they say there wasn't enough interest shown by the public. I really hate GM and Buick. If GM wants to make money they should have made the Avista. Let Cadillac and Chevy whine. If they don't want to lose sales for the Camaro and CTS then the designers should make those cars look as good as the Avista.

Thread starter #3

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now
GM is full of crap when they say there wasn't enough interest shown by the public. I really hate GM and Buick. If GM wants to make money they should have made the Avista. Let Cadillac and Chevy whine. If they don't want to lose sales for the Camaro and CTS then the designers should make those cars look as good as the Avista.
I hear ya. And ya know what? ...Buick hasn't completely shut down the idea of bringing the Avista to market... There may be hope because they're still talking about it. Let's see what happens...

ITguy54

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I hear ya. And ya know what? ...Buick hasn't completely shut down the idea of bringing the Avista to market... There may be hope because they're still talking about it. Let's see what happens...
Yeah, they showed a red Avista at the NY show. What's up with that? Are they TRYING to annoy people? Some people think it's up to China as to whether the Avista will make it to production.

Thread starter #5

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now
Yeah, they showed a red Avista at the NY show. What's up with that? Are they TRYING to annoy people? Some people think it's up to China as to whether the Avista will make it to production.
Yeah, I'm hearing that about China. The market for Buick is really good there so I imagine they will now play a part on decisions like this...

ITguy54

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick

RegalDesire

4.6L Northstar Member
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal GS
I say...

PHOOEY on Buick...

No longer interested! 2015 Regal GS will be my last Buick! I admire the interior style I've seen in pics of the NG Verano...but the outside is BUTT-UGLY!

Monti182

North Plainfield, NJ
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS, WDT, Sunroof, Nav
Nuts to China, So what if there's a huge market for Buicks there? WE want the Avista HERE. Produce it on the same line as the Camaro and only sell it in the United States. Globalization is good for business, but sometimes you need localized models to satisfy specific markets. Is Buick and American Brand? or a Chinese one, because lately its been hard to tell.

Philthy

Elizabeth (ROCK) City, NC
Buick Ownership
Buick Roadmaster
It's a beautiful car. I think it looks better than anything else GM makes. Unless you look at the badges, it could be mistaken for something new from Aston Martin, Jaguar or some other exotic car company. This is a car I'd buy if I wanted to reward myself after getting a promotion at work.

I would love for Buick to bring this to market as a "semi-halo" car. In other words, don't worry about selling 10,000 of these a year. Although Buick hasn't said so, it's likely built using the 6th generation Camaro/Caddy ATS/CTS platform, which is a good thing. If they built it in limited numbers, they could get away with assembling the bulk of it on an existing assembly line, then do the final specific work elsewhere. Yes, it would add some cost, but I for one think it would be worth it.

Sadly, this is GM. They'll throw some styling cues on another boring crossover and pat themselves on the back. GM isn't known for taking risks. They are also worried about losing sales at Cadillac and Chevy if Buick had an awesome car like this. VW Group, despite their costly misstep with diesel emissions, doesn't seem to be too concerned that Audi R8 sales are going to eat into Lamborghini sales, even though the cars share the same platform and are aimed at the same demographic. They also don't seem to be too worried about losing Porsche sales, either, now that they own Porsche. I for one, don't think that anyone considering a Camaro (which I also love) is going to be lured away by an Avista. Nor is the potential Avista owner going to be satisfied with a Camaro, or even an ATS or CTS.

Thread starter #10

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now
It's a beautiful car. I think it looks better than anything else GM makes. Unless you look at the badges, it could be mistaken for something new from Aston Martin, Jaguar or some other exotic car company. This is a car I'd buy if I wanted to reward myself after getting a promotion at work.
Exactly.

Philthy said:
I would love for Buick to bring this to market as a "semi-halo" car. In other words, don't worry about selling 10,000 of these a year. Although Buick hasn't said so, it's likely built using the 6th generation Camaro/Caddy ATS/CTS platform, which is a good thing. If they built it in limited numbers, they could get away with assembling the bulk of it on an existing assembly line, then do the final specific work elsewhere. Yes, it would add some cost, but I for one think it would be worth it.
This would be a halo car - not only for Buick but for GM as a whole. They managed to have the Cadillac Allante and Buick Reatta at the same time so I don't see why they couldn't work this out...

Philthy said:
Sadly, this is GM. They'll throw some styling cues on another boring crossover and pat themselves on the back. GM isn't known for taking risks. They are also worried about losing sales at Cadillac and Chevy if Buick had an awesome car like this. VW Group, despite their costly misstep with diesel emissions, doesn't seem to be too concerned that Audi R8 sales are going to eat into Lamborghini sales, even though the cars share the same platform and are aimed at the same demographic. They also don't seem to be too worried about losing Porsche sales, either, now that they own Porsche. I for one, don't think that anyone considering a Camaro (which I also love) is going to be lured away by an Avista. Nor is the potential Avista owner going to be satisfied with a Camaro, or even an ATS or CTS.
I think you're 100% correct. GM will take a few styling cues and design them into other models - but that's it - and NOT ENOUGH either. The new LaCrosse looks nothing like the Avenir.

Thread starter #12

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now
A few weeks ago I read that Buick is re-considering the Avista, because they want something to compete with Infiniti sport coupes.
Well, I really do hope they re-consider and get the Avista up and running soon. I can't stand all these amazing designs going to waste...

Buick Ownership
Buick
You know what is weird ... they spend all this money and effort trying to rebrand Buick into "it's not an old folk's car".

A vehicle like this in their lineup would say that much more strongly than any commercials or other marketing attempts.

Thread starter #14

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now
You know what is weird ... they spend all this money and effort trying to rebrand Buick into "it's not an old folk's car".

A vehicle like this in their lineup would say that much more strongly than any commercials or other marketing attempts.
I agree. This seems to be a GM problem in general (no pun intended). Look at all the amazing Cadillac concepts that never saw the day of light...

Parts Unknown NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Buick Regal GS Stage 1
Ya know, GM has gotten to the point where they have officially lost me as a customer for nothing newer than my '12 GS... Between boring designs, features I can just see causing major problems such as the auto start/stop (and having vehicles not starting back up after coming to a stop, leaving vehicles stuck and stranded...), and prices that have become unrealistic and unreasonable are all factors that will cause me to buy either used GM vehicles, or start shopping with the competiton.

Granted brands like Cadillac and Buick might be huge sellers in markets like China, but when you have vehicles like the Caprice that's only released in places like Saudi Arabia, and your more concerned about your foreign markets rather than your own well being and customer wants, needs and concerns on your own homeland, than that is where I see a problem. And something like the new Regal & the Regal GS just proves my point...

We ALL know that a few years ago the rumors started flying about a possible remake of the Grand National and the GNX, in which we all should have basically known better and saw the writing on the wall. First, they changed the engine in the GS from the one that got them the attention and acclaim of being one of the top 10 most collectible Buick models EVER, to one with less power and notorious for blowing pistons/cylinders, to what the current abomination is known as a Regal... And with Chevy discontinuing the SS, Buick &GM had the prime opportunity to do that by redesigning a new front & rear end for the ATS-V Coupe, coming up with another really hot 2.0 for the GN and the same 3.6 Twin Turbo for the GNX (because you couldn't have both with the same drivetrain, which was why the GNX was more special than the regular GN...), and called it a day. Even though it would have put them in the same price category as the ATS-V and the Regal GS, they would have had EVERYBODY flocking back to Buick. But no...

So much for the potential concept of rehashing the GN & GNX, when you totally killed ANY chance of bringing back your turbocharged "performance heritage" that made you what you were. So that basically leaves us with either boring and lack-luster designs and options for vehicles, or are limited to a Camaro or a Corvette -vehifles in which everybody and their mother owns... OR if we are among the top 1 or 2% who can afford it, we can get the ATS-V or CTS-V... REALLY GM?!?!?!?! SMFH...

And while I personally find a lot of car makers new designs boring and lack-luster, GM - in which I have been a GM lifer since I started driving-has become the worst for it.

So I can safely say that while my '12 GS is going to be THE LAST newer GM I buy. My next GM purchase will be either a '92 or '93, one that will only increase in value, has much better look than ANYTHING they are putting out now, and showcases what GM lost sight and track of when they were making REAL vehicles.

R.I.P. GM ✌🏻

Last edited:

SSJ455

Hudson Valley
Buick Ownership
2013 Quicksilver Regal GS
I like it, but GM will never build it. It would take sales away from the Camaro and they won't have that.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.