Abs light came on and steering wheel locked up at same time 98 century

Dave kelly

Buick Ownership
Century
Help my 98 century abs dash light came on , the brakes quit working and the steering wheel locked when driving on icy road today

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Did the engine stop during this? Was there brake fluid coming out from anywhere? When you say the wheel locked, no movement at all or very hard to turn? Have you looked in the engine bay area and is anything fresh with fluid, appear out of place or broken. Did the brake light come on? When you say no brakes, you couldn't stop the car or very hard to press down?

Dave kelly

Buick Ownership
Century
Did the engine stop during this? Was there brake fluid coming out from anywhere? When you say the wheel locked, no movement at all or very hard to turn? Have you looked in the engine bay area and is anything fresh with fluid, appear out of place or broken. Did the brake light come on? When you say no brakes, you couldn't stop the car or very hard to press down?
I havent looked under the hood yet, this is my mothers car and she was driving home in some bad weather tonight and said that the abs light came on. And when she tried the brakes the pedal went to the floor and at the same time the steering wheel locked. Thank God she wasnt going very fast (30 mph) but she said it took about a block to come to a stop. She turned the car off for a minute while she came back to her senses and when she started it back up it all worked fine again. I will check out all the pads and rotors and the fluid levels first thing and reply back with any new info. I appreciate your response back and help i do appreciate. Thank you dave

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
That's a little different. The fact that it was drivable and nothing showed back up it may have stalled / died and looking at the battery, ignition coils or fuel may be in order, it may also have stored codes.

Considering if the engine did shut down, all dash lights would come up, no power steering and braking would be difficult which sounds like what happened.

hitshane

Buick Newbie
Saint Petersburg, FL
Buick Ownership
2005 Century Custom
I'm having a feeling the engine stalled and she lost power steering and brake boost. The pedal probably did lose a lot of stiffness but unless you lost a brake line you should still have had brakes you just have to apply a lot more pressure. Also when you lose power steering very quickly it does feel like your steering is locked up even though you can turn it.

I have a older Buick Regal that I keep around just for the house and it's missing the wheel well sleeve on the driver side so anytime I drive through a puddle and the water hits the belt the belt slips and I lose power steering it absolutely feels like it's locking up.

Dave kelly

Buick Ownership
Century
I'm having a feeling the engine stalled and she lost power steering and brake boost. The pedal probably did lose a lot of stiffness but unless you lost a brake line you should still have had brakes you just have to apply a lot more pressure. Also when you lose power steering very quickly it does feel like your steering is locked up even though you can turn it.

I have a older Buick Regal that I keep around just for the house and it's missing the wheel well sleeve on the driver side so anytime I drive through a puddle and the water hits the belt the belt slips and I lose power steering it absolutely feels like it's locking up.

Dave kelly

Buick Ownership
Century
Thanks to all of you. She said the brake pedal was full but she couldn't push it down so i think both of you are right about it stalled which would definitely cause this scenario to happen. Now tonight when it was running with the lights on the lights would keep going dim so i think what we have may be a bad alternator (the fluids all checked out ok) that could have caused it to stall