• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

ABS light on and blown fuse

gpjlytham

Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Regal
Hi All

I have a 2001 Buick Regal and the ABS light is on. I checked the fuse in the fuse panel at the passenger side of the dash board and the 10amp ABS fuse is blown, the 60amp ABS fuse in the engine bay isn't blown. I replaced the 10amp and it blew immediately.

The brakes are working fine, no strange pulls to either side and no softness in the peddle.

I have a scanner that reads ABS on my newer car but it isn't reading anything on the Buick?

A few years ago I had an ABS pump go bad on a Volvo and the brakes became very scary and the car undrivable, but the Buick brakes work well, so hopefully it isn't a bad ABS pump

Thoughts?

gpjlytham

Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Regal
Update:-

I pulled the plastic stuff/protective cover off the wires to the sender units at the wheel hubs and the wires look to be ok.

I went to a scrap yard/auto recycler and got the connectors (with some of the wire attached) for the sender units in the hubs so i could plug into the senders to test them.

I plugged in the connectors and did an ohms test on the front and rear hubs and the fronts matched ohms and the rears matched ohms, then i did a volts test (you spin the wheels and they should generate volts) and the volts were the same on the fronts then i tested the rears and the volts were also were the same. At this point I assumed that the sender units in the hubs were ok and the wires were ok so I went back to the scrap yard and bought the electronic part of the ABS (it attaches to the ABS body with 4 small bolts) and replaced mine with the "new to me" part. I replaced the blown 10amp fuse at the passenger side dash board and took the car for a run.

The ABS light is off and the fuse isn't blown, so hopefully its cured.

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne 3.8 liter
Hi All

I have a 2001 Buick Regal and the ABS light is on. I checked the fuse in the fuse panel at the passenger side of the dash board and the 10amp ABS fuse is blown, the 60amp ABS fuse in the engine bay isn't blown. I replaced the 10amp and it blew immediately.

The brakes are working fine, no strange pulls to either side and no softness in the peddle.

I have a scanner that reads ABS on my newer car but it isn't reading anything on the Buick?

A few years ago I had an ABS pump go bad on a Volvo and the brakes became very scary and the car undrivable, but the Buick brakes work well, so hopefully it isn't a bad ABS pump

Thoughts?
Need to rule out bad wiring first. Could always try unhooking the harness from the ABS module and then testing if the fuse still blows. You can save a fuse by using a meter and checking for the short instead.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!