ABS Light on for past two months

TheBude

Buick Ownership
2001 Century
2000 Century Custom
BCA Front wheel hubs installed a few months ago and ABS light on for past two months. I cleaned the connection contacts with a quality contact cleaner/lube. The brake fluid level is between min and max. Light is still on.

Replace ABS sensor wires or other suggestions?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Not all scanners can read ABS, you may want to confirm if yours does.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
This is a complete unit no need to guess what may work.

chem_man

Buick Newbie
Fallston, MD
Buick Ownership
1999 Century
I too have the Blue Driver. It is an excellent choice, but sometimes I find the Torque Pro app with a "generic" OBDII bluetooth dongle easier to configure in order to look at misfires per cylinder, transmission temperature, etc.

If I could figure out a way to run both dongles at the same time, I would be really happy!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
SCOSCHE OBD290Y 4” OBD-II Splitter
4ce29fd7-5f7f-438b-b15c-d40c71240c93_1.f532f9fc6c218f979f4cc8584685cfc0.jpeg
The reason I would recommend the all-in-one BT scanner unit type is that most people have a problem just operating those. A BT scanner and some other companies software can be a he said/she said if things don't work as planned as most users don't read the information muchless the instructions lol.

TheBude

Buick Ownership
2001 Century
Oddly enough the ABS light did not turn on last night on my way to work and return home from work this morning. Are just the front rotors ABS or is it both front and rear? I've never owned a car with ABS system before this one.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
All are ABS, if intermittent it could be a connection, harness, wheel sensor or at the ABS module but it's harder to guess what or where it is at. Inspection of the connection and checking the harness may be something to consider, wait till it comes on again and get a ABS scan or get it scanned for codes that are stored.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Your welcome, hopefully it will work out.

To TheBude some GM vehicles, honestly can't remember what years it covers, had the 3rd brake light tied into the ABS for some bizarre reason so if the 3rd brake light had a issue the ABS light would come on.

buickpete61

Buick Ownership
century
I had same issue and it ended up being the abs wires were broke from by the frame going to the ABS connection from the wheel bearing assembly plug. It is a very easy to check it out and to repair. I believe while whoever replaced the wheel bearing assembly caused the wires going to it frayed and broke or separated causing your ABS and most likely traction control light to come on. Good luck

TheBude

Buick Ownership
2001 Century
I had same issue and it ended up being the abs wires were broke from by the frame going to the ABS connection from the wheel bearing assembly plug. It is a very easy to check it out and to repair. I believe while whoever replaced the wheel bearing assembly caused the wires going to it frayed and broke or separated causing your ABS and most likely traction control light to come on. Good luck
I think that's probably the case with mine as well. I've just changed out the oxygen sensor and low coolant sensor on it yesterday. I called around to parts stores but their free scan tool doesn't include ABS reading.
I'm going to take a good look at all four wheels ABS wring harness next week. I also have to replace the resistors int the PRNDL chip board to get it to light up again.

buickpete61

Buick Ownership
century
I think that's probably the case with mine as well. I've just changed out the oxygen sensor and low coolant sensor on it yesterday. I called around to parts stores but their free scan tool doesn't include ABS reading.
I'm going to take a good look at all four wheels ABS wring harness next week. I also have to replace the resistors int the PRNDL chip board to get it to light up again.
I would concentrate on the front wire harnesses first. The harnesses are held down by 3 or 4 plastic clips. These can be easily separated by a small screwdriver by prying them apart. You do not want to pull the clips off the lower a arm or you will need to replace them too. When the front wheels are removed it is much easier to accomplish this task. Once the clips are opened and the wire loom protecting the wires is removed you will most likely be able to see the break in the wires. From there you can either repair the broken wires or replace the wire harness itself. AutoZone will be able to help you there with a DORMAN replacement wire harness. The new harness might include the wire loom and new hold down clips, but check before you buy one. This new harness includes the plug end and around 3 or so feet of wire. The new harness will need to be spliced in to the old harness back to and by frame. Either way splicing will be required. Do not be worried it is much easier than it seems. Look on eBay item # 183477218740. Both new harnesses complete costs less than $20 delivered. I used this exact same harnesses on mine and everything worked well. Good luck.........Pete

Regal LTD Coupe

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (& 1990 Lincoln LSC SE)
Have you by chance changed from the factory tire size? In such a situation the ABS system "works" but the calibration is off, so the problem might won't itself until times where the system would kick in such as when there's snow on the ground.

TheBude

Buick Ownership
2001 Century
I would concentrate on the front wire harnesses first. The harnesses are held down by 3 or 4 plastic clips. These can be easily separated by a small screwdriver by prying them apart. You do not want to pull the clips off the lower a arm or you will need to replace them too. When the front wheels are removed it is much easier to accomplish this task. Once the clips are opened and the wire loom protecting the wires is removed you will most likely be able to see the break in the wires. From there you can either repair the broken wires or replace the wire harness itself. AutoZone will be able to help you there with a DORMAN replacement wire harness. The new harness might include the wire loom and new hold down clips, but check before you buy one. This new harness includes the plug end and around 3 or so feet of wire. The new harness will need to be spliced in to the old harness back to and by frame. Either way splicing will be required. Do not be worried it is much easier than it seems. Look on eBay item # 183477218740. Both new harnesses complete costs less than $20 delivered. I used this exact same harnesses on mine and everything worked well. Good luck.........Pete
Thanks Pete for the great advice and parts links.
I will update next week.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!