• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

ABS light / Service Stabilitrak

samfraser

Montana
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXL
I had a service stabilitrak message appear along with a constant ABS light yesterday. My father had the same issue with his LAX and he had to have all 4 WSS's replaced. Anybody else have any experience with this? Also, hopefully this would be covered under the drivetrain warranty, correct? Thanks!

scandalous

Texas
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick LaCrosse eAssist
I think there's been a few people on the forum talk about this issue with different results.
It has happened to me quite a few times on my 2012 eAssist. Each time it ends up going away after a drive and each time the dealer has no idea why it came on since everything checks out ok.
Doesn't put me at ease since it happens often and even though it goes away I feel like something isn't right.

shoman90

Buick Ownership
Buick
I had a service stabilitrak message appear along with a constant ABS light yesterday. My father had the same issue with his LAX and he had to have all 4 WSS's replaced. Anybody else have any experience with this? Also, hopefully this would be covered under the drivetrain warranty, correct? Thanks!

In our case, it was legitimate..twice. Reluctor rings had to be replaced on 2 different wheels. Both times they went out was in a snowstorm. Can't tell you exactly their function, but it has to with the speed sensing system. If the ABS is out..nothing can work for SC/TC. I was told that GM cheapened up on the reluctor ring set up...as they are now external to the hub (exposed to the elements)..but they used to be inside the hub and protected. They've seen more failures with the external position, but evidently it's cheaper to do it this way. Both times were covered under warranty as it is a good $500 dollar fix otherwise. I think the whole hub has to be replaced.

Detroit, USA

samfraser,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern. If you private message me your name, VIN, address, phone number, mileage, and the name of your preferred Certified GM Dealership you are working with, I can look further into your concern. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Buick Customer Service

Detroit, USA
I think there's been a few people on the forum talk about this issue with different results.
It has happened to me quite a few times on my 2012 eAssist. Each time it ends up going away after a drive and each time the dealer has no idea why it came on since everything checks out ok.
Doesn't put me at ease since it happens often and even though it goes away I feel like something isn't right.

scandalous,

I do understand your concern with this issue occurring multiple times. You can always private message me your name,VIN,mileage, address, and name of the Certified GM Dealership you are working with, so I can assist in reaching a resolution.

Erica Tiffany
Buick Customer Service

AK Goat

4.6L Northstar Member
Buick Ownership
Verano Premium
I had the same thing on our 2011 CXL about 4-5 months ago and they just had to reseat the connector on one of the front driver's side sensors. All warranty. Haven't had a problem since then.

samfraser

Montana
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXL
Well, not much of a suprise, the dealer says the wheel speed sensor is bad, they will have to replace the entire hub assembly. What suprised me, was that they are claiming that this will NOT be covered under the warranty. Seems to me like part of the drivetrain should be covered under the DRIVETRAIN warranty. I sent a message to Buick Customer Service, be interesting to see how they handle this. I am expecting they will do the right thing, I will post back with what happens.

Detroit, USA
Well, not much of a suprise, the dealer says the wheel speed sensor is bad, they will have to replace the entire hub assembly. What suprised me, was that they are claiming that this will NOT be covered under the warranty. Seems to me like part of the drivetrain should be covered under the DRIVETRAIN warranty. I sent a message to Buick Customer Service, be interesting to see how they handle this. I am expecting they will do the right thing, I will post back with what happens.
Hello samfraser!

I did receive your private message. Thank you for sending the information. I will contact your dealership to look further into the issue for you!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

AK Goat

4.6L Northstar Member
Buick Ownership
Verano Premium
I had the same thing on our 2011 CXL about 4-5 months ago and they just had to reseat the connector on one of the front driver's side sensors. All warranty. Haven't had a problem since then.
Well, I spoke too soon...yesterday, my wife said the ABS and Stabil-Trac light came on a couple days ago and that she had to turn the car off and restart to make the warning go away. Had the same thing happen this AM when I went to get my oil changed. So, I guess I will monitor for a couple weeks and send it back to the shop if the problem persists.

Detroit, USA
Well, I spoke too soon...yesterday, my wife said the ABS and Stabil-Trac light came on a couple days ago and that she had to turn the car off and restart to make the warning go away. Had the same thing happen this AM when I went to get my oil changed. So, I guess I will monitor for a couple weeks and send it back to the shop if the problem persists.
Hi AK Goat!

Please keep us posted! I would be happy to schedule an appointment for you at your local dealership, if the problem persists.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

samfraser

Montana
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXL
Well, I can say that I am truly disappointed in Buick and General Motors. After multiple phone calls, messages etc, I come to find out I must pay full price to have this repair done. My car has 62,000 miles on it. The thing that really irks me is that this repair (parts and labor) would cost GM under $200, because of their ridiculous markup on parts and labor, but it will be costing be $475.00, paying full rate and markup on parts and labor. In my business when something goes wrong, I stand behind my product, even if it is out of warranty. I have owned 4 Buicks before this car, and this will be my last one. I am very disappointed in the way this situation was handled. And to top it off, the reason this part failed, was due to Buick being cheap, and placing the reluctor ring on the outside of the hub. They should have owned up, replaced the part, and took care of it. I really can't say that I am surprised. Hopefully this will help some of you in the future. And just so everyone understands, it’s not the money that I care about, it’s the principle.:mad:

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
Free warranty forever???? Must be a Montana thing.

For your issue it might just be metallic debris stuck to the magnetic portion of the wheel sensor/hub assembly. This debris can be brushed off/cleaned but you might have to pull the sensor to do it right. If it were me I'd get that thing on a hoist and see for myself. If there is a bunch of rust particles around the reluctor ring I'd clean them off and see what happens.

Detroit, USA
Well, I can say that I am truly disappointed in Buick and General Motors. After multiple phone calls, messages etc, I come to find out I must pay full price to have this repair done. My car has 62,000 miles on it. The thing that really irks me is that this repair (parts and labor) would cost GM under $200, because of their ridiculous markup on parts and labor, but it will be costing be $475.00, paying full rate and markup on parts and labor. In my business when something goes wrong, I stand behind my product, even if it is out of warranty. I have owned 4 Buicks before this car, and this will be my last one. I am very disappointed in the way this situation was handled. And to top it off, the reason this part failed, was due to Buick being cheap, and placing the reluctor ring on the outside of the hub. They should have owned up, replaced the part, and took care of it. I really can't say that I am surprised. Hopefully this will help some of you in the future. And just so everyone understands, it’s not the money that I care about, it’s the principle.:mad:
Hi sam,
Sorry you've have this much trouble. Did you get a case number for Customer Care? I can look into the case too. Please private message me your VIN, name, address, phone number and the name of the dealership you work with. I cannot guarantee a different outcome, but a second look. Thanks,
Kelly J.
Buick Customer Care

Detroit, USA
Hello samfraser,

I am sorry to hear that this frustrating experience continues and that the situation was not resolved to your satisfaction. I have documented your dissatisfaction. I do apologize for your frustration.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

samfraser

Montana
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXL
Not a free warranty forever, but when it was included in the previous warranty coverage, then backed out, then I come to find out the reason behind this is because they went cheap with the parts, tends to irritate people. If this would have happened last year, it would have been covered under the powertrain warranty. Dad's car had all 4 replaced, under the powertrain warranty, car had 72,000 miles on it; my car, this year, with less miles was the victim of a updated coverage policy.

riddell_fam

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2007 Buick Terraza that is doing the same thing. I have had the ABS module replaced twice and all of the lights have come back on within a week of replacement.

callawaym

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have got to be honest. When my wife said I could pick the new vehicle I wanted five weeks ago I decided to go with a classic, what I believed to be a sturdy brand- Buick. I chose the 2012 Buick lacrosse. Spent well over 20K for it and expected a semi-luxury vehicle. After owning for less than five weeks and less than 500 miles later. The ABS and Stabilitrak Lights came on two days ago. I contacted On-star who recommended I take it in for service. I noticed there was a recall on this system, that coincides with my vehicles make/model & time built. I am VERY disappointed and expect this will be my responsibility because the odometer, just yesterday, hit 43000. not many miles to be having these kind of issues, if you ask me. I have owned vehicles with 200K and they have never had this light come on... I will go the dealership tonight to find out what the issue is.. sure it will be expensive after spending almost a quarter of what my home is worth on a vehicle.. starting to doubt my decision to go back to Buick (what my parents owned when I was kid- 70's & 80's models)...

mnmike

Buick Ownership
Buick
I recently had the Service Stabilitrack/Service Brake Assist trouble light come on. Had it into the dealer for a transmission fluid change at 100,000 miles and had them diagnose the issue. Turns out there was a bad rear bearing/hub assembly. The magnetic ring that works with the wheel speed sensor to run the systems had deteriorated and was not producing a good signal. Dealer wanted $400.00 per side to do the replacement. I am not a mechanic, but do some of my own work and decided to tackle this one myself. Bought two new hubs from Advanced Auto (Moog brand at about $95.00 each on sale). Spent about 4 hours total to do both sides. Probably will go faster next time if I ever have to do it again. Hardest part was getting the old hub assembly out of the mounting casting. Solved the problem, and saved about $600 for 4 hours of work. Did both sides because I figured it was only a matter of time before the second one went bad. I suppose the front ones will be next. The front and back wheels use the same hub assembly. The trouble light did not go away immediately. I think it took a little high speed driving for the system to recognize the new hubs. If you do this repair, you will need to remove the brakes and rotor. When replacing the caliper mounting bracket (bracket comes off to allow rotor removal) be sure to use new bolts when you re-install the bracket. I learned this by getting the Alldata repair instructions at my local library. You can order these bolts on line. Interestingly, I tried to buy these bolts at three different dealerships and could not find them. Asked the service department why they don's carry them and they responded that they don't usually replace these bolts. They are torque-to-yield (TTY) bolts that are not supposed to be re-used. I was really surprised that they said they just use the old bolts.

Nelson480

Buick Ownership
2011 LaCrosse CXL
Even after restarting the engine and the lights go away there is still stored codes. That means there is still a problem that is intermittent that the computer has recorded the event and stored it. It will return again later, whether the light comes on, or the ABS fails to work properly.

As for the price of the repairs.. The speed sensor is less than $20 per wheel on rock auto, it is serviceable seperate from the wheel hub/bearing assembly. Now if the wheel bearing itself is coming apart (beginning of failure before noise is heard while driving car *roaring sound*) the bearing grease will coat the sensor and cause a MIL. Then you would need to change the entire hub/bearing

Pedal Commander