ABS light TRAC OFF light

kingpin

Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
Thread starter #1
2003 Ultra been having this recurring problem. ABS and TRAC light come on intermittently. They reset each time you turn the car off then may stay off 100 miles or more then come on again at any time. I'm getting a C1232 code on my scammer, shorted or open circuit on my left front speed sensor. Also had another code in the past that wasn't there this time something about variable speed on my left front wheel unable to determine wheel speed something like that. So anyway I figure the left front speed sensor is bad or possibly there could be a broken wire somewhere going to the sensor not sure. But unfortunately as far as I can tell the speed sensor is not replaceable you have to replace the whole Hub. And then should probably have the front end realigned, which was just recently done by the previous owner, the car drives great.. But the Hub shows no signs of being bad and I don't really want to replace it if it isn't. On the other hand winter is coming and I don't like the idea of no ABS brakes and no Traction control on slick roads. Any ideas on what I might try short of Hub replacement. I've done the Hubs before and it is not a problem to do them just wondering if I'm missing something and might be able to fix short of that. Thanks.

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
I have a feeling that it is time for a new hub bearing. If you want more evidence you can raise the vehicle and give the wheel a motion check. We are looking for any inward/outward movement by pulling/ pushing on the wheel with hands at 9:00 and 3:00 positions.
I love the 97-05 Park Avenue but this is one of the weak area’s in my opinion. This type of vehicle is still my favorite of anything on the road.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
More common than most think, the wire loom going to the wheel hub speed sensor...

Here is a video showing exactly where the problem is... skip to the 14:00 minutes if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

This is valid only if your wheel hub bearing speed sensors are not the real fault.

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Fella in the video shows how to diagnose the problem, so worth watching the whole video.

Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
Thread starter #5
Yes, Thank You after watching this one and another like it I'm thinking that's very likely where the problem is. I'll investigate further. Thanks again.

Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
Thread starter #7
Well as I go further I'm running into some stumbling blocks. I have a friend who was a Mechanic at the local Buick dealership. I talked to him about the problem and he said it was most likely a break in the wiring harness somewhere as mentioned above. Well I got a new AC Delco harness for it and when I went to put it on I noticed the Black wire coming off the new plug is attached to the B side of the plug and the White wire is attached to the A side of the plug. But the old one on the car is reversed Black on A White on B. Then to complicate things more the Black and White wires from the plug wire into a yellow and Blue wire going into the wiring harness that eventually connects to the EBCM. Not sure if this harness has been replaced previously and they got the wires reversed because there is what looks like 2 splices in the wires. I need some kind of diagram showing which wires the yellow and blue go to.:rolleyes:

Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
Thread starter #9
Thank you so much for that diagram. The left front sensor on my car the light blue wire coming off the harness is wired to the B side of the plug which according to this diagram is backwards.

Buick Ownership
Thank you so much for that diagram. The left front sensor on my car the light blue wire coming off the harness is wired to the B side of the plug which according to this diagram is backwards.
You're welcome.

Your hunch was right about the wires possibly being backwards.

Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
Thread starter #12
Well wired it up the way I believe to be correct. (Reverse of what it was.) and so far no lights on the dash so hope that fixed it. Time will tell. Thanks for all the responses.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.