AC Compressor Dead?

TomB

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
Need confirmation...
Is the AC Compressor dead when the AC clutch doesn’t engage even after bypassing the AC Clutch relay at the fuses box (short the pin 30 & 87)?

TomB

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
Did you test for power at the clutch?
There's power at the clutch connector, but the clutch will not engage.

TomB

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
could be low on feon causing a/c not to engage
Thank you! I don't think it's low on freon since the low and high sides gauge read almost 100 psi without the clutch engaged. In addition, should the clutch be engaged if relay pins # 30 & 87 are shorted?

TomB

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
Sorry MelsRegal, I was only checking to ensure that the power (voltage) reached the AC clutch. Do I need to check the ohms for the clutch? What should it read and what will it tell me?
I am very grateful for your assistance!

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Sorry MelsRegal, I was only checking to ensure that the power (voltage) reached the AC clutch. Do I need to check the ohms for the clutch? What should it read and what will it tell me?
I am very grateful for your assistance!
You should have a reading, exact unknown, but if you get no reading the clutch electrical circuit is open/burnt

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

TomB

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
You should have a reading, exact unknown, but if you get no reading the clutch electrical circuit is open/burnt
Thanks, MelsRegal for your expertise! Sorry for the confusion… I wasn’t planning to mess with the clutch itself. My dilemma is will it resolve my AC issue if I replace the AC Compressor (with a new clutch)? Will it MelsRegal?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Thanks, MelsRegal for your expertise! Sorry for the confusion… I wasn’t planning to mess with the clutch itself. My dilemma is will it resolve my AC issue if I replace the AC Compressor (with a new clutch)? Will it MelsRegal?
Based on your findings that power is going to the clutch it would appear the clutch itself is suspect. The final test would be verifying the clutch has an open circuit by using the ohmmeter. Replacement of entire compressor versus can the clutch be replaced without removing compressor is the next consideration.

TomB

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
Based on your findings that power is going to the clutch it would appear the clutch itself is suspect. The final test would be verifying the clutch has an open circuit by using the ohmmeter. Replacement of entire compressor versus can the clutch be replaced without removing compressor is the next consideration.
Much appreciate! Have a great weekend and Happy Labor Day!

TomB

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
Thank you everyone for your support!
The car AC now puts out around 40s F in a 90s F outside temperature with the AC Compressor replaced.