AC issues, help removing passenger blend door actuator?

Buick Ownership
Park ave
Thread starter #1
My ac was originally blowing warm and hot, and once or twice it would swap sides (as in driver side went from warm to hot and passenger side from hot to warm). I work at a shop so a friend hooked up our AC machine which sucks out all the old freon, if any, and adds new freon. Its all computerized, you just hook up high/low lines and wait from what i saw. That got the driver side to be pretty cold, but the passenger side still feels pretty hot. Im in texas and its hitting 100+ almost daily here, so its hard to tell if its blowing hot air or just whatever temp air is outside. I found a video of someone that had already pulled their passenger actuator and turned the knob that the actuator is supposed to turn and they suddenly had heat on that side. Im hoping thats my issue and its just stuck on the hot side instead of the cold side like that guy's was. My issue is the actuator is really small and hidden beside what i think is the ECU (medium sized black box with lots of wires coming out of it, mounted behind the glove box), and i have no room to get in there and remove 2/3 of the bolts to pull it. Even if i pull the ecu from its casing, the casing itself is still in the way. All i can think of at this point is to pull the whole dash, but i really, really dont want to do that. Im going on a really long trip Monday afternoon and need it working by then. Im almost certain that knob that the actuator isnt turning is my issue, i plan to turn it to cold and leave it there. Theres no need for heat here in TX really, so ill replace the actuator later. I know multiple people have had actuator issues on here, ive read a few of the threads, but i havent seen any pictures or steps as to how to remove it

Buick Ownership
Park ave
Thread starter #2
The first picture is the view from the passenger side floorboard, second is from inside the glovebox area. I have gotten one screw out, you can see another in the 2nd pic, and im not sure where the 3rd is, i assume up top. I cant find any screw or bolts or anything to remove the case for the ecu, and theres barely enough room to get a socket in there, certainly not enough to get a ratchet or anything else. If i could only get it a turn or two with a ratchet i could probably get it the rest of the way with my hands, but that still leaves the mysterious 3rd bolt. We have spec sheets, work order, etc. in our system so i can see a diagram of whats around the actuator and such, but it doesnt really say how to remove it other than "remove this. now remove this." so its not too useful

The Avenue

Buick Ownership
'01 PAU
Is yours a 97-05 PA? Once you remove the glove box, you can slide the ecu off the bracket. I have no problems getting to that side. I use a screw driver with a bit. Mine has 2 screws holding it on. You might try the key on engine off way of resetting the actuators. First, disconnect the battery and reconnect. Turn the key on and turn off the AC. Let it sit from 3-5 minutes. You should be able to hear them moving about. After the 3-5 minutes, turn the key off then go ahead and start the car and run the AC. See if that helps, if not, replace the actuators. Also, should be done each time you disconnect/replace the battery. If an actuator is bad, you'll hear it clicking. It's trying to turn the heat past the stop point. Here's a video that shows how to test the with a 9v battery;
9v actuator test

*Edit* I think you could also pull the correct fuse instead of disconnecting the battery.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.