AC losing cooling - much faster than before

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
im aware that the condensor is bent up. still works, but definitely not peak effciiency.
AC compressor clutch free spins with a tiny bit of bearing noise, but engages and disengages normally, doesnt sound bad when car is running(not TFG)
Oil or wet appearance near shraeder valves
The lines to condensor.. one looks like its pulling out??
the rubber isolator on pass side looks.. worn. maybe needs new?

New o rings? Bad connections? Bad valves? Bad ____?
I have a sniffer, I also have gauges and r134a cans. I filled my system 3 times since i bought it. once last summer got me till late summer where it just was cooler-than hot air, but stil drying

THis summer got me about a month, and its falling flat again. it doesnt seem to loose refrigerant after its low enough, i got it partially filled from a couple who never touched it in 3 years. vacuum holds for 4+ hours as of last summer.

i dont want to just put new o rings in if i have something else going on, id rather fix once. i dont like to use stop leak, BUT i have put UV dye in it from a can of r134a from 1995 so it might still work. beings i see wetness on parts, im guessing oil is coming out?

Snapchat-130103297.jpg Snapchat-279047267.jpg Snapchat-626104471.jpg Snapchat-687359832.jpg Snapchat-795211135.jpg Snapchat-1706714569.jpg Snapchat-2081051323.jpg Snapchat-403154148.jpg Snapchat-1466218788.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-1497722092.jpg
    Snapchat-1497722092.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 1

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
i have never used one, it came with gauges. but i see physical evidence there is oil coming out of or maybe other additives from a port, i figured i would tackle what i physically can see before looking for not obvious ones

but im asking for experience on what might it be, what the fix is, etc

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra, 2003 LeSabre Limited; Previous: 2003 LeSabre Custom; 1998 Park Avenue
Following with interest. My PAU leaks refrigerant quickly now too. I was told by a mechanic to not use the freon with sealant in it, as it plugs up the screen in one of the a/c components (I forgot which one he said). Unlike yours, mine has no obvious oil leakage markings.

With your refrigerant low, the compressor won't turn on. If your compressor is still turning on, you obviously have some pressure and freon in the system.

If the compressor won't kick on, and the air blows warm, your refrigerant is gone, and you might as well separate the line fittings and check the O-rings and seals.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
i have never used one, it came with gauges. but i see physical evidence there is oil coming out of or maybe other additives from a port, i figured i would tackle what i physically can see before looking for not obvious ones

but im asking for experience on what might it be, what the fix is, etc
The sniffer and gauges didnt come with instructions?
You have have the best tool to try and pinpoint your specific leak which then would lead to how to fix it.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
The sniffer and gauges didnt come with instructions?
You have have the best tool to try and pinpoint your specific leak which then would lead to how to fix it.
No, it didnt. It came in a little pouch inside the canvas bag my gauges and extra vacuum pump oil came in.but what im saying isnt the fact i see some leakage or what i believe is, htat could throw it off?

Drakito

Southern Utah
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
The schrader valve assemblies like to seep. You can snug them up with a wrench. Definitely use the sniffer gauge to find the actual leak points though.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
The schrader valve assemblies like to seep. You can snug them up with a wrench. Definitely use the sniffer gauge to find the actual leak points though.
So you think the valves? Do they have o rings i maybe need to service? did you see debris inside them? I wondered if that isnt why either

Get your turbo buick badge right here!