AC running when Auto and AC are Off

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Regal GS
2016 Regal GS AWD. I often turn off Auto and AC to just have fresh air venting through the car. But it always happens that periodically, the system will turn on freezing cold air and run it for several minutes before returning to fresh air vent. I end up freezing for those few minutes and can do nothing to stop it. I do have Auto Defrost on, but the cold air is coming from the front vents and floor vents...not the windshield vents. Any ideas? I'm 2000 miles short of 50,000 miles when the bumper to bumper runs out.

Shelly

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Any defrost functions will cause the compressor to engage. You make no mention of what the outside temperature is but if cold enough and auto defrost is on the compressor could engage. You state you have Auto and AC off, do you accomplish this by changing the fan speed manually? If not, even though you turned the AC off, Auto will still be engaged.

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Regal GS
Thanks Mel. I use the buttons on the dash for Auto and A/C to turn them off. The buttons have no light on when I do this, so I know they're both off. It happens on nice days in the mid to high 70s. Here in NC, we still have some humidity. I generally have the temp turned all the way down to Low or to something in the 60s. I can get the unwanted cold air to stop if I jack up the temperature to 72 or higher, but then it dishes out what feels warmer than the outside air. I long for the days of simplicity, when AC off is truly off and the car doesn't think for me.

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
when you press those two buttons rather than looling if the lights go off look at the screen. it will show Auto is ON. I had a 2015 base and now have a 2017 GS and the same thing happened in both cars. The only way to truely turn auto off is by manually changing the fan speed, look at the screen and see when you change the fan speed the AUTO actually goes OFF.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
So you have the temp set to the lowest or near lowest and the system on Auto. So of course the AC will engage if the temp is higher than what you set it at.
If you take the climate controls off of auto and your problem will go away.

I like to control the temp myself, this way I get no funny stuff happening like that.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.