Add remote start after delivery

Ac427

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thread starter #1
Hi All,

New to this forum but not forums in general. I came looking for some advice from the experts generally found on each forum. We are proud new owners of the Encore & wish that we had waited & ordered one from the factory - the reason - remote start. We live in SW Florida and the heat is unbearable, so any way to ease the suffering is an advantage.

I figured the remote start would be a plug & play module & simple remote program as that would make sense. To me. Unfortunately after calling the local dealer to ask about the job he said it couldn’t be done - that the systems were so involved that it just wasn’t cost effective to do & would end up being a ridiculous amount of money. He may well be right, but I wanted to double check first as it doesn’t sound quite right still. Is this the case? Has anyone retrofitted a OEM system? If the answer is aftermarket, which one did you go with & what was the cost?

Thanks in advance for any help & advice

adamcar

Buick Ownership
Buick
Best Buy has systems that are on sale periodically that include installation. YMMV with how well it works. No experience with them.

Got2BTru

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore
Did you get a remote start installed aftermarket? I find it hard to believe that so long as it has the push button start, it can't be integrated...we just got a 2018 a noticed it had the push-button start and were SHOCKED when it didn't have the remote start feature!

Zeroboostbuick

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Best thing to do is get a opinion from a non-dealer shop that is very experienced and knowledgeable in this field.

Look for shops that install Car Audio/video stuff (even custom car garages). Or at least call and ask other dealerships/shops who's services they use/recommend for installing aftermarket remote starters.

Typhone

Buick Ownership
Encore, 2015
I have a 2015 and just put a remote start in my car. I bought one from mypushcart out of Arizona. It is somewhat plug and play. You only have to wire one wire to the OBDII and program the modual on the internet. It seems to work fine for now, just installed yesterday.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
If you are still looking to do this, there are a couple of options I can think of.

First, call a different dealer. GM often has the "back end" pieces already in place and it's just a matter of adding the rest of the components. Sometimes the techs don't know this though. They need to know what RPO codes include that "backend". My 2008 GMC Sierra is like this. I'm just not willing to shell out $300+ to a dealer to add remote start.

Give Crutchfield.com a call. They will know exactly what you need and if you buy the kit they will provide complete detailed instructions on how to install it and lifetime tech support. They are one of the best in online electronics.

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore Preferred
Is there an OEM option for remote start if the car didn't come with it? I had a 2013 Chevy Malibu LT that didn't come with remote start. I bought a 2 pack of OEM keys with the remote start though the accessories catalog and the dealer programmed the car for remote start. I facebook messaged OnStar and they added the remote start feature on the app and it worked.

Does a 2018 Buick Encore Preffered have the same option? I don't see the keys for sale in the accessories catalog online (I see one for the Regal). My wife would like to use the OnStar/My Buick remote start on the app. We have an aftermarket solution (press the OEM fob lock button 3X) for remote start currently but would rather have the OEM solution so she can use the app. I have called a few dealers and Buick's customer service, but no one seems to know anything about an OEM solution.

Got2BTru

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore
I was looking at doing the same thing bigblue2007...didn't want to go with the aftermarket if I don't have to...

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
This is fairly easy to do on your own. The RPO sticker is inside the bottom glove box, probably on the left side. It's got everything installed on your vehicle as delivered.

The RPO code list can be found here.

Hope that helps!

Don15

Buick Ownership
2015 Encore
The systems in newer vehicles get too complicated for the dealers to keep up with so they often don't know what to tell the customer. The user manuals are also difficult to follow for someone who has never seen or used the latest model vehicles of that particular manufacturer.

The manufacturers need to have support lines that at least the dealer can contact. It seems rather stupid of the manufacturers not to include easy ways to add options to computer controlled cars. Aftermarket remote start has long been one of the biggest problems in the auto repair industry. Different places install them differently and the variety of models make troubleshooting them very difficult. Owners don't keep the wiring diagrams for them in their vehicles if they even get one from the installers. When the module goes bad, the car won't start and it's invariably on a holiday weekend far from home when a problem arises.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.