Adding a rear swaybar

Frampton

Buick Ownership
2003 buick lesabre custom
Does anyone have any info on adding a rear swaybar to a 03 lesabre? TX.

imidazol97

Top Dog
Parts numbers might help, but I doubt this is available new from dealer parts. Otherwise
stop at a counter and ask about the numbers for the regular and for the firm ride version.
Might also check into the Bonneville version that was larger diameter.

Ebay has some offering stabilizer bars AND car-parts.com lets you search for
the stock offerings. I looked at Bonneville SSEi and leSabre versions there, and let
the interchange chart offer which various models fit the leSabre.

On the ebay offering AND on the car-parts.com pages, there's a lot to be learned about
the cross compatibility. I noticed that naked rear bars are in the $35 to $50 range for
pickup at a yard offering one.

I see that rockauto.com offers parts and that there is a difference in bushings for the
firm ride vs the soft ride (normal) versions.

I suggest reading up on the Bonneville versions which I think had beefier sway bars
since that H-body was promoted as a sportier car driven in a sportier fashion.

I see just researching that there is a difference in diameter between some bars but that
may be the fronts. I may be wrong but in my memory there also was something posted
about some bars being hollow pipes vs some being solid, which would affect their
rigidity. I do recall somebody changing out their front sway bar for one that tightened
up the front. If the rear is stiffer due to a sway bar and the front still tends to roll, that affects
the camber of the tires on the ground and the grip. I'd take a good look at the front, but
that's not likely as easy to switch out.

Good luck.

I had thought about adding a normal bar to my 03 Limited when I had it. I had added a
rear sway bar to my 80 Mustang.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera

imidazol97

Top Dog
LOL.
I didn't see any listings for the touring suspension that the -03 offered when I
looked at similar GM parts department listings this morning.

I had the impression maybe from the other topic that Frampton may want
to put on a touring rear sway bar. That's what I'd aim for.

And eventually switch out the front with a touring sway bar. Then he'd
have gotten rid of the FE1 suspension sway bars, the soft ride option.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Can't say on a touring suspension, but seeing how 20757300 is the same sway bar offered on 1997 to 2011 Buick, Cadillac and Olds Aurora models I believe, the Ultra and Super models used it and GM didn't use anything different on those. Just went through this exercise, remember it's the same suspension, that to find a bigger sway bar I installed a Cadillac DTS armoured vehicle to find one that had any size difference to be a significant improvement.

imidazol97

Top Dog
I think Frampton needs to decide if he wants to stiffen the front as well.

I drove a Limited 03 Touring before "ordering" our Limited Celebration with 16 inch wheels and
fairly wide tires. I was not as impressed with the touring as I thought I would be. but that was not
the cornering or curve taking, but rather the struts/shocks. They seemed to work in a way that the
car was pitchy front to back on the test road I was on.

I'd like to know what size rims and tires Frampton currently has. I didn't think our 03 was so bad
on the cornering. Maybe there were different OEM sway bars used on the front or maybe it was
due to the Michelins and 16 inch rims 6 inch wide, fairly good for that day.

There are optional bushings for the end links on the front bars that can reduce the give and thus
stiffen the ride and I believe there are different bushings where the bar is strapped to the frame
for less give in the rubber. That might stiffen the front without the trouble of replacing the whole
bar, which requires taking off a strut as I read one post.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The 25604731 Gran Touring (F41) sway bar listed in the older post is now listed and replaced by 20757300 which is the one I listed. If looking for a larger sway bar it's plowing through GM models parts list, doing the comparison and even then GM doesn't provide specification. I did the front (Super) and rear (DTS) sway bars, shock tower brace (Pontiac) and control arms (Moog) with larger components to firm up the suspension, not one part is for my year Lucerne and other then the shock tower which was used everything else was new.

Frampton

Buick Ownership
I think Frampton needs to decide if he wants to stiffen the front as well.

I drove a Limited 03 Touring before "ordering" our Limited Celebration with 16 inch wheels and
fairly wide tires. I was not as impressed with the touring as I thought I would be. but that was not
the cornering or curve taking, but rather the struts/shocks. They seemed to work in a way that the
car was pitchy front to back on the test road I was on.

I'd like to know what size rims and tires Frampton currently has. I didn't think our 03 was so bad
on the cornering. Maybe there were different OEM sway bars used on the front or maybe it was
due to the Michelins and 16 inch rims 6 inch wide, fairly good for that day.

There are optional bushings for the end links on the front bars that can reduce the give and thus
stiffen the ride and I believe there are different bushings where the bar is strapped to the frame
for less give in the rubber. That might stiffen the front without the trouble of replacing the whole
bar, which requires taking off a strut as I read one post.
I have 2256016s and I do have FE1. I want to retain the soft ride and only get a rear swaybar.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
GM is only listing the 20757300 which if looking for new it's seems to be the only option from GM as the soft ride. If you look at the list of vehicles it was used on it's a soft ride sway bar. When shopping check various GM and other aftermarket sites as the price will be all over the place plus confirm shipping costs on the GM as some can be to high. Also the hold down brackets, bolts and links should be considered.

Frampton

Buick Ownership
GM is only listing the 20757300 which if looking for new it's seems to be the only option from GM as the soft ride. If you look at the list of vehicles it was used on it's a soft ride sway bar. When shopping check various GM and other aftermarket sites as the price will be all over the place plus confirm shipping costs on the GM as some can be to high. Also the hold down brackets, bolts and links should be considered.
Thanks. That's what I'm looking for. I can't seem to find what else I'll need to complete, brackets, bushings...

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
#11 is all of those parts in the stabilizer link which normally comes as a complete unit of 5-10.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Post #2, not sure what you are looking at.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
No problem just wanted to all be on the same page, plus I'm just too lazy to open another window LOL.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!