• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Adding steering wheel with audio controls?

SchultzBuick99

Buick Ownership
2000 Buick Century
Well I got a new leather steering wheel with the audio controls - not a bad price - the color matches & it is an upgrade from the rubber steering wheel - the leather rim at the top is also larger diameter than the OEM rubber one, which is also a bonus.

Got a refurbished (like new) OEM radio on the way from 1 Factory Radio - it will have the CD player and an added auxiliary input, which will be nicer than the unit that came with the car (mid-level radio / cassette).
He also has OEM radios with Bluetooth added (doesn't work with phones) - I wrestled with which one to get, but since the Bluetooth doesn't work with phones, I got the unit with the auxiliary input.

Yeah, wires are a pain, but the auxiliary input is a lot simpler than the Bluetooth unit (less to go wrong).

The radio is definitely going in - when the local stereo shop installs, they are going to check to see if existing wires for audio controls are already in the harness, or have to be added.
Will also check to see if the existing clock spring has all required wires.

I see Buick lists two different clock springs - one without accessories, one with accessories - I assume the one with accessories is for the radio controls, but the online parts shops don't elaborate.
I've got an e-mail into an online shop to see if they can clarify.

The cost of the steering wheel, radio upgrade and installation is not too bad - if I have to buy a new clock spring, it's started to get a little pricey.

Nobody else in this place every added the steering wheel with audio controls to a Century that came without?
That stereo is awesome, I have same mid level stereo with cassette, will definitely be buying the upgrade with aux input. Did not know they make them. Have always wanted to replace my century steering wheel with one that has audio controls. Was never sure if it was compatible. Thank you very much. Have learned a lot

basicblur

Buick Ownership
2003 Buick Century
That stereo is awesome, I have same mid level stereo with cassette, will definitely be buying the upgrade with aux input. Did not know they make them. Have always wanted to replace my century steering wheel with one that has audio controls. Was never sure if it was compatible. Thank you very much. Have learned a lot
If you decide to take the plunge, here's what you'll need:
1. Steering wheel with audio controls.
2. A clock spring "with accessory controls"
3. The plug next to the air bag plug behind the driver's side knee board.

1. There are some pretty nice looking steering wheels that pop up on eBay - there's one there now for $105 that looks good, but the top of the steering wheel is overexposed - can't tell what the top of the wheel looks like - I'd have to ask for some pix of the top of the steering wheel.

2. The clock spring - this one hurts - I paid $160 for a new one - don't know if you can find a salvaged unit etc. cheaper? I had the cheaper one (around $130 / without accessory controls) - you'll need GM part # 26087297 (around $160 / with accessory controls).

3. OEM plug behind driver side knee board, clipped to the yellow air bag plug. This one shouldn't be hard to find at a local salvage yard - I picked up 2 since our local yard has a $30 minimum charge.
The single wire the shop had to run is from this plug to the OEM radio plug.

You may be able to save some money by buying the entire steering column off eBay, etc. I see a number of them that include the steering wheel with audio controls along with the entire steering column (looks like the air bag, etc.) If it's the entire column, it should include the correct clock spring, so you'll be getting the steering wheel AND clocks spring, probably for a decent price.

I also probably benefited from the local installer being familiar with this mod as he's done it on a number of his personal vehicles (all Fords).
If you took this to your local dealer, they might freak out?

So far my installation has been rock solid (our shop does good work) - the CD's sound great - the auxiliary input (from my Android phone) could use more volume - the source signal doesn't seem to be nearly as strong as CD's I've made, but I'm constantly fighting with my phone over controlling the volume.

1 Factory Radio also makes that radio with Bluetooth instead of the auxiliary input, but you can't have both.
If the Bluetooth worked with the phone, I may have opted for it - the plug is simpler / cheaper, although it's another cable to deal with.