Advice for a partial LED conversion on an '07 LaCrosse

flibdip

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2007 Lacrosse CX
I've got a 2007 LaCrosse CX and one of the things I'd really like to do is convert almost everything over to LED, save for the headlights. The main issue is that I really don't know where to go from here.

From what I've seen when it comes to the exterior bulbs, it's best to just get LEDs with built-in resistors where needed (mainly just the ones used for turn signals, I think?). I'm also not entirely sure what to look out for when it comes to brands that'll last a good long time while also not draining my pockets completely dry.

I know that the superbrightleds.com site has a whack of LEDs that'd more or less cover everything, but from what I can tell they don't have the built in resistors to prevent hyperflash.

flibdip

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2007 Lacrosse CX
Try this site
DD was my first thought but unfortunately their offerings require standalone resistors and at least from what I recall, the '07 LaCrosse's don't have a traditional relay stuffed up under the dash. I'd love to be proven wrong on that though, since I'd rather deal with the PITA that is digging around under the dash to replace two relays as opposed to resistors.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Correct on superbrightled, used them before built in resistors came out, but checking the new Regal Tourx forum may offer some brand names with reviews. The biggest problem with the built in resistors was, could still be true, is that they didn't always work on all makes and models so spending time instead of money on research may be the best route.

When looking at LED lights be mindful of what you currently have as stock Lumen / Kelvin are as a base to compare if wanting the same or something brighter.

flibdip

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2007 Lacrosse CX
Correct on superbrightled, used them before built in resistors came out, but checking the new Regal Tourx forum may offer some brand names with reviews. The biggest problem with the built in resistors was, could still be true, is that they didn't always work on all makes and models so spending time instead of money on research may be the best route.

When looking at LED lights be mindful of what you currently have as stock Lumen / Kelvin are as a base to compare if wanting the same or something brighter.
Yep, absolutely. I'm comparing everything to new Sylvanias (for the most part, some bulbs are damn near impossible to find a lumen output on), since I know that none of the bulbs in this car will likely be that bright unless they were replaced very recently, which I know none have been.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Unfortunately LED's for the most part work off guidelines than rules, so some have polarity which if put in and it doesn't work rotating them 180° and they come on. I found this little trivia out when I was looking at the wiring and resistor for the 3rd time trying to figure what I did wrong LOL.

If deciding to put any tint on the lens, then increase the L&K to offset the tint. My preference is get the brightest backup lights that you can, helpful at night for other drivers, pedestrian not paying attention and backup cameras. Good luck on the search.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!