Advice

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
What makes you think the oil has failed in 4.5K miles? Is it just low on oil after all those miles? What is the oil brand?

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
Not purposely posting all the time after HotZ. Guess he's up late and me early lol.

Sounds maybe too like the change oil warning is showing up on instrument panel. Doesn't mean oil failure at all. Those will trigger even with passing of time, don't have to drive car.

When that displays on my other car I have out for only a few hundred miles a year, I test my oil with Ford test kit (it's a Ford of coarse) and just reset at dash. Unless dirty, contaminated with moisture or other- it does last awhile. That car uses 9 qtrs. of 5/50wt. full synthetic and over $100 for change plus filter. Oil's still like new after 4 years. You don't change any other fluid or gas even if car isn't driven🤔 StaBil works excellent for sitting fuel.

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse
What makes you think the oil has failed in 4.5K miles? Is it just low on oil after all those miles? What is the oil brand?
I am approximating by the oil change tag it says 110,950 miles for next change due but my mileage is only at approximately 108,780 miles. It was changed st an oil place and they used the synthetic oil

BIG ROCCO

PHOENIX, AZ
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse eAssist P1 w/H-K & Nav
I kept track of mileage between oil changes for decades. Nowadays, I don't even bother. I use full synthetic oil (either Walmart or Mobil One) and prefer to rely on the oil life monitor...I change the oil when the OLM gets to 10%.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL, 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
As the ad says "your mileage may vary", which is to say that the climate conditions, type of driving, type of engine, milage on the car, grade of oil or synthetic and type of oil filter all come into the equation. On the synthetic they may go up to 10K on a change, but is the oil filter designed to go 10K also? Synthetic do not break down like regular petroleum oils, but it can get contaminated the same way.

Not challenging anyone's decisions here, just one size fits all doesn't apply, even the manufacturer will state "under ideal driving conditions" what the heck is that?

Get up in a climate controlled world of 62.5F, letting the car idle till properly operating temperature is met, going out of your driveway and immediately you are on the highway doing 60 mph for 45 minutes and return home in the same fashion. Also add in the engine should have 5K to 50K milage on it, shouldn't be using any type of flex fuel, no road dust, no moisture, non turbocharger and have a high-capture efficiency oil filter, etc.

Well I can confirm that I can't meet these ideal requirements, so I'm just changing the oil and filter that meets my type of real world usage LOL.

And as mentioned in the forum before owner's manual guidelines if all else fails.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL, 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
10K in Chicago, IL VS 10K in the flats of the open roads of Nebraska makes a difference on what is considered average use service. If in doubt check with the state vs city police vehicle maintenance programs, IL state police would at certain milage points replace parts, if it was still working perfect, as they knew what was the failure point on the parts. When was the last time you saw a state trooper car being towed.

I looked in my owners manual but I must have a misprint as the section called Common Sense is missing, LMAO.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.