• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Aftermarket Amplifier Harness?

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Anyone know if anyone sells a harness for our radios... Specifically the '18 with the 8in screen?

I would like to add my old amp and sub but would like to do it the right way and also leave room for potentially a 4 channel amp later

Also according to Buick my car doesn't have a factory amplifier.... Though that seems odd to me

Last edited:

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX 1987 Grand National
Crutchfield usually has everything, but even they show ZERO Factory system adapters for either stereo system (Bose, non-Bose) in the TourX. Metra, Scosche and PAC, who tend to be the kings of harness integration, nothing. JL Audio has the FiX-82 and FiX-86 units that could work. AudioControl has several pieces that could work, the LC8i or LC6i among other units. Depending on the amount of money you want to spend, you could go with one of the nice car audio DSP units.

I'm a car audio nut myself, so I've talked with a couple of my professional car audio friends. The big issue is getting the channels summed since a lot of OEM stuff is coming with multiple channels crossed over (woofer signal, tweeter signal, sub signal, dedicated front/rear/center signals) and processed (EQ'ed, signal phased, signal delay, etc). I've heard a couple of cars with after market audio added to factory head units and most turned out great. I say most, because the good ones were done by shops, the bad ones have been owner hack jobs. It's really going to be a matter of figuring out how many channels of output your audio system has, how those output channels are split and then finding a OEM Integration unit that will fit your needs.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Crutchfield usually has everything, but even they show ZERO Factory system adapters for either stereo system (Bose, non-Bose) in the TourX. Metra, Scosche and PAC, who tend to be the kings of harness integration, nothing. JL Audio has the FiX-82 and FiX-86 units that could work. AudioControl has several pieces that could work, the LC8i or LC6i among other units. Depending on the amount of money you want to spend, you could go with one of the nice car audio DSP units.

I'm a car audio nut myself, so I've talked with a couple of my professional car audio friends. The big issue is getting the channels summed since a lot of OEM stuff is coming with multiple channels crossed over (woofer signal, tweeter signal, sub signal, dedicated front/rear/center signals) and processed (EQ'ed, signal phased, signal delay, etc). I've heard a couple of cars with after market audio added to factory head units and most turned out great. I say most, because the good ones were done by shops, the bad ones have been owner hack jobs. It's really going to be a matter of figuring out how many channels of output your audio system has, how those output channels are split and then finding a OEM Integration unit that will fit your needs.
Yeah Audio Control is almost a must to sum the Audio... Or if adding just subs the LC2i should be good enough with it's bass restoration.

What I'm looking at is a LC 4.800 to wire into the existing speakers and then use it's summed output into my amp and sub I already have from my previous car

Last edited:

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Also according to Buick my car doesn't have a factory amplifier.... Though that seems odd to me
I am looking into this also, I found the amplifier, so I am planning on using the connectors to tap into the factory wiring(line level converter/speaker out to factory connector). I double checked the link I posted to 'make sure it fits', and even the base trim is a match.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
I am looking into this also, I found the amplifier, so I am planning on using the connectors to tap into the factory wiring(line level converter/speaker out to factory connector). I double checked the link I posted to 'make sure it fits', and even the base trim is a match.
What link did you post?

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
The amplifier link, it automatically makes a 'Viglink', but I changed it to a OEM parts supplier where I found it(GM Parts Direct).
Oh lol.... Didn't realize.

So you want to add a factory amp?

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Oh lol.... Didn't realize.

So you want to add a factory amp?
I don't want to add the factory amp, it looks like the way our 'infotainment' system works is through different inputs going into that amp. Finding the link to that amp just confirms(not 100%) that we can use the speaker wires coming off the factory amp to get a signal into an aftermarket amp. The 'head unit'/touch screen doesn't look like it has any way to amplify the audio going to the speakers, and it's just the 'interface' for everything. If you look at the size of it compared to DIN style head units it doesn't have space for an amplifier.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
I don't want to add the factory amp, it looks like the way our 'infotainment' system works is through different inputs going into that amp. Finding the link to that amp just confirms(not 100%) that we can use the speaker wires coming off the factory amp to get a signal into an aftermarket amp. The 'head unit'/touch screen doesn't look like it has any way to amplify the audio going to the speakers, and it's just the 'interface' for everything. If you look at the size of it compared to DIN style head units it doesn't have space for an amplifier.
The actual radio is located behind the glove compartment... The interface we use is just a screen

The stock speakers are rated at 20 Watts at 4 ohms so that is what the OEM radio is pushing

Last edited:

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
I wonder if the OnStar is dedicated to use the one channel. I know on some GMs it is the center channel speaker and for non center channel speaker systems it's the front left channel. Just another wrinkle to figure out.

g-coded

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
The actual radio is located behind the glove compartment... The interface we use is just a screen
That looks like it's very easy to get to, was that pic taken without removing anything? Any idea which is speakers(my guess is far right)?

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
That looks like it's very easy to get to, was that pic taken without removing anything? Any idea which is speakers(my guess is far right)?

I believe it's those 2.... Not 💯 though

You have to remove the kick panel under the glove box to get here. Easy peezy.... BUT for me at least I for the life of me could not get that green plug loose. Grey came out like nothing but I spent 30 minutes working on the green one and it barely budged

6APPEAL

Deep South
Buick Ownership
Just got off the phone and email with Support at NAVTV.COM. They currently don't have anything available for the TourX, but are currently working on a new system to work with the GM MOST system in our cars. It will provide a way to convert GM’s MOST audio bus to low level (6 channel) RCA, S/PDIF or TosLink outputs before the signal gets to the Bose amp. It should be a plug & play kit that integrates with the various OEM data networks to retain OnStar, door chimes, volume control, full fade and balance (analog only), treble, mid-range, bass control & Bluetooth voice calls with no external speaker (true OEM integration).

The current system they have piggybacks off the OEM radio tuner module (similar to Irock1985's pic above) to feed their module. Sounds to be just what I'm looking for. They are also the only interface company that I've talked to with any interest in cracking GM's lock-down on the current line of infotainment systems. I didn't have enough time to play 20 questions, but I will be emailing back to gather some more information. I'm wondering if the current lock-down is due to GM converting from MOST-50 to MOST-150 or a new IOx level. The current NAVTV system is MOST-50, IO5 or IO6 compatible. The unfortunate thing about the current NAVTV system is that it only works with the Bose systems, the NON-BOSE vehicles equipped with CarPlay or Android Auto are NOT COMPATIBLE. Cannot say that is going to change with the new unit.

If you have a 2018, you may get lucky and find they have an Audio Interface that will work for you since they support several 2016-2018 Cadillac and Chevy models with the 8" screen. See the notes right above the video.

For more information email: sales at navtv dot com
Link for current Audio interface: Audio Interface - M650-GM - NAV-TV

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
Just got off the phone and email with Support at NAVTV.COM. They currently don't have anything available for the TourX, but are currently working on a new system to work with the GM MOST system in our cars. It will provide a way to convert GM’s MOST audio bus to low level (6 channel) RCA, S/PDIF or TosLink outputs before the signal gets to the Bose amp. It should be a plug & play kit that integrates with the various OEM data networks to retain OnStar, door chimes, volume control, full fade and balance (analog only), treble, mid-range, bass control & Bluetooth voice calls with no external speaker (true OEM integration).

The current system they have piggybacks off the OEM radio tuner module (similar to Irock1985's pic above) to feed their module. Sounds to be just what I'm looking for. They are also the only interface company that I've talked to with any interest in cracking GM's lock-down on the current line of infotainment systems. I didn't have enough time to play 20 questions, but I will be emailing back to gather some more information. I'm wondering if the current lock-down is due to GM converting from MOST-50 to MOST-150 or a new IOx level. The current NAVTV system is MOST-50, IO5 or IO6 compatible. The unfortunate thing about the current NAVTV system is that it only works with the Bose systems, the NON-BOSE vehicles equipped with CarPlay or Android Auto are NOT COMPATIBLE. Cannot say that is going to change with the new unit.

If you have a 2018, you may get lucky and find they have an Audio Interface that will work for you since they support several 2016-2018 Cadillac and Chevy models with the 8" screen. See the notes right above the video.

For more information email: sales at navtv dot com
Link for current Audio interface: Audio Interface - M650-GM - NAV-TV
The only problem with that is the price... For that price you can just get a LC7i/DSP, pay someone to install it and still have a few $$ to spare

Pedal Commander