Aftermarket Head Unit

kswitser16

2012 Regal GS
I've been searching around Crutchfield for a new stereo head unit for my 2012 Regal GS. The Problem is, they don't show any compatible units for the Harmon Kardon Audio system. Has anyone done this before and will anything actually work?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
There's been other posts on this problem with other Buick Models, not sure if anyone has a posted a answer but a few were working on it. The HK system is a can of worms as the speakers ohm are all over the place to work with the amp, so it's not like yanking out the HK head and amp and swaping them. Maybe a pro installer might be a route.

Dewayne5

Buck Regal CXL 6MT Active
There's been other posts on this problem with other Buick Models, not sure if anyone has a posted a answer but a few were working on it. The HK system is a can of worms as the speakers ohm are all over the place to work with the amp, so it's not like yanking out the HK head and amp and swaping them. Maybe a pro installer might be a route.
That may be true, but on my end its been pretty good. I have an 8 core 4gb ram unit on my 2011 CXL 2.0T with the HK 320watt system, it sound amazing. It's crisp, the sound is still dynamic the eq does a much better job of isolating where you want your tones to be. I couldn't be happier. It's responsive no lag, good touch feel. It integrates with the car well. Backup camera with radar warning and dash cam. Just too much to name. Also capable of using the torque app with the blue tooth odb. The only issue is radio reception is not as strong around town, and the onstar button won't remap. Also the android is housed in the DVD unit. Everything is plug and play. Your not dealing with the amps at all.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Dewayne5 has offered a wealth of information that a head unit is available on the Internet LOL. Buying from a unkown source may create warranty and installation issues, something to find out before purchasing then afterwards. Check the forums listing as someone was working on the HK amp wiring harness to a aftermarket unit.

Dewayne5

Make and model please for others. Also does it retain the all the steering wheel functions? Any information on GM wiring harness integration if necessary? Purchase website?
Purchased the Radio on AliExpress. It is china's version of Amazon. You can download the app and do a search. The brand that I purchased was 'idoing' I can't find the radio in their store. Pretty much all of these radios are produced in the same place. I am pretty sure if you search you will see what i mean. Klyde has a pretty good selection.

Dewayne5

Dewayne5 has offered a wealth of information that a head unit is available on the Internet LOL. Buying from an unknown source may create warranty and installation issues, something to find out before purchasing then afterward. Check the forums listing as someone was working on the HK amp wiring harness to an aftermarket unit.
Of course your mileage may vary. I bit the bullet and I'm happy that I did. Besides the fact that most warranties are gone anyway. And this isn't my first rodeo. Did the same for my Ford Truck with a premium sound package that included a subwoofer. 3 years later still rocking and rolling. No speakers blown, I only occasionally punch it. And it punches pretty well in its weight class. There were no install issues other than the harness being unusually large for the regal tucking it was a itch. No splicing or chasing down harness connectors. You will have to do work on getting the cameras to work. But that's to be expected. The upside is using real android. Having updated Maps, it works with iPhone. You can even screen mirror from your phone. share data, play Youtube, Netflix, Hulu or whatever.

Last edited:
Turbo Buick Badge