Aftermarket radio install issue

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
1988 Buick Skylark Coupe Limited Quad 4
Ok so new day new problem. The factory cassette deck is toast and I removed it with goal of installing an aftermarket CD player instead. I ordered the kit online with harness. However the harness that states will fit my 88 Skylark is not even close. I’ve attached a picture of the connection in the dash where the radio harness was and a pic of the harness that was sent. I’ve contacted the seller and he states that the harness he sent is correct for my Skylark....what am I missing???

If correct adapter is not available can I cut the pig tail off the stock radio and splice in new radio harness and if so does someone have a schematic showing the color codes and what they control?

Attachments

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Not sure what was sent as a harness, but check out Crutchfield for what is also available along with maybe some others online. If they are saying it's correct did you send them a picture of your connections?

Sure you can hardware it in, but if the new stereo ever has to come out the OEM connector will be part of it. Here's the wiring labels link below.

1986-91 Buick Skylark Stereo Wiring

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
I would not cut the factory plug. As mentioned, check with Crutchfield, you may have been sent the wrong harness.

There may be another plug further downstream of the radio wiring, check for that. If there is another plug, that is what you were sent.

Thread starter #4
Buick Ownership
I would not cut the factory plug. As mentioned, check with Crutchfield, you may have been sent the wrong harness.

There may be another plug further downstream of the radio wiring, check for that. If there is another plug, that is what you were sent.
This is what crutchfield shows which is wrong if you look at the first picture in original post. It should be more of a male connector. I’ll take a picture of the end coming off factory stereo here in about 2 hours or so.

Attachments

Illinois
Buick Ownership
From what I've seen on others OEM stereos is that there is a OEM cable from the frame dash mount in your 1st picture to the radio. It should unplug from the back of the radio and that's where the interface cable(s) plugs into the radio end.

Thread starter #6
Buick Ownership
From what I've seen on others OEM stereos is that there is a OEM cable from the frame dash mount in your 1st picture to the radio. It should unplug from the back of the radio and that's where the interface cable(s) plugs into the radio end.
Here is radio and connector. Can find nothing that looks like this. The more research I do it looks like 87-89 skylarks are different than conventional GM setups....

Attachments

Illinois
Buick Ownership
That's a very different hook up from almost all the other GM's. Even if you look at the radios listed as 1998 buick skylark radio none have that back or connector. Unless it may have had a remote CD unit or amp it's the only thing I can think of, sorry couldn't be more help. While any adaptor will be for the standard radio it may be difficult to find it online, but sending a email with the radio and conections there might be one available.

You may want to see if a dealer can get more details on what that unit is by the part# as any wiring diagrams may also be wrong to hardwire into the new unit.

Thread starter #8
Buick Ownership
Here is radio and connector. Can find nothing that looks like this. The more research I do it looks like 87-89 skylarks are different than conventional GM setups....
This is a 1988 not 1998 if that makes a difference?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.