AGM Battery?

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Hey guys,

The battery in my 2013 has finally decided to die.

Has as anyone ever switched to an AGM Battery in their Verano or any other vehicle for that matter?

Any known problems in switching from Wet Cell Lead Acid to AGM?
I've read that some newer vehicles have a "Battery Sensor Module" or something similar that needs(should) be reset with a scan tool when changing batteries. If you don't do the reset it is possible that a switch to AGM could cause the AGM to be overcharged, which will kill it in very short order. Anybody know if our Verano's have any such device or battery monitoring software?

AGM's are more expensive, any opinions on whether they are worth the extra cost in a daily driver?

Supposed benefits of an AGM over a regular Wet Cell:
Hold a charge longer during "non-use" periods. (My Verano does sit too much, and does not get driven as much as it should)
Typically have higher CCA's and reserve capacity.
Hold up to high heat better. (A definite plus in the 2.0L Turbo which I have.)
Hold up to severe vibration better. (Not really an issue with the Verano)
Overall longer usage life. (I've read up to 10 - 12 years)

I started out planning to stay with a regular Lead Acid, but in comparing prices, the jump to AGM is not as great as it used to be.

Last consideration I know that some of you may ask... How long am I planning on keeping the car?
As long as it is remains reliable and doesn't start having a lot of electrical gremlins, at least 10 more years, maybe longer?
But to be honest, I'm not convinced that these "electronically loaded" cars can remain gremlin free for that long. If it starts becoming an "electronic headache" I will sell it off in short order.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Decided to stay with a regular old Lead Acid Wet Cell.

An Interstate MTP-48 H6. Which is their best Lead Acid Battery. 72 month, 30 month full replacement.
$166.95 with core exchange, plus sales tax here in Ohio. $179.47 out the door...
I must be getting old, I can remember when you could be a good Automotive Battery for 60 - 90$.

A couple more things about AGM batteries....

They are heavier within a specific group size. For the 48/H6 group size the AGM's ran 8 to 10lbs heavier than the lead acid. Some people probably try off to offset this weight by buying a smaller group size, which in an AGM can still meet the CCA and reserve capacity needed for their vehicle.

I also read some conflicting information about repeated shallow charging cycles and how any overcharging can
adversely affect their longevity. Also read that if charging from a battery charger you should only charge at a "Low Trickle Voltage" rate.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.