• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Air Conditioner Fan

ksujgg

Overland Park, KS
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
So it was finally warm enough for the air conditioner to kick on high with re-circ yesterday. I noticed each time I stopped at a light, that the fan would pulse or stutter. The engine was still on each time. Has anyone experienced this with theirs? Just curious if this is the normal operation for this car.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Mine also does something similar. Like the fan is varying speed or the internal doors are moving back and fourth. Only happens when its warmer at higher fan speeds.

vizkiz

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Mine did this too. Decided to wait for first service to ask dealer to check it. This ended up being December, so it obviously it wasn’t doing it. Will ask again at my second oil change, at 40% right now so next one should put me in the warmer weather.

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X
Mine also does it.

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
1979 LeSabre, 2010 Enclave, 2018 TourX
So it was finally warm enough for the air conditioner to kick on high with re-circ yesterday. I noticed each time I stopped at a light, that the fan would pulse or stutter. The engine was still on each time. Has anyone experienced this with theirs? Just curious if this is the normal operation for this car.
Mine does this as well. It is distracting. Pulsing is a good description.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Thanks. I haven't noticed this yet but I am sure I will now that you've pointed it out. Forums can be a blessing and curse. A long time ago I read a review of my TV that said they were prone to banding. After reading that, that was all I could see.

rangs

Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX Essence
Mine makes a whirring-type noise when auto-stop kicks in and the climate system is on, but no pulsing. I wonder if it's normal, cuz it sure is annoying.

HotwheelHTH

Buick Ownership
Regal GS
Mine makes a whirring-type noise when auto-stop kicks in and the climate system is on, but no pulsing. I wonder if it's normal, cuz it sure is annoying.
The whining noise when the car shuts off for auto start/stop is the pump for the transmission. This allows fluid to still pump through it.

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence April 2018 Build Date
I didn't notice this issue until I changed the "auto fan speed" in the settings area of the infotainment screen from "MEDIUM" to "HIGH". When the fan is on HIGH and the engine is running, it sounds like ocean waves breaking on the shore. Perhaps the airflow is too much for the blend door or fresh/recirculate doors to handle or....???

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I didn't notice this issue until I changed the "auto fan speed" in the settings area of the infotainment screen from "MEDIUM" to "HIGH". When the fan is on HIGH and the engine is running, it sounds like ocean waves breaking on the shore. Perhaps the airflow is too much for the blend door or fresh/recirculate doors to handle or....???
I keep my Auto Fan Speed on low. I’ve tried Low Medium and High and see (or hear) no difference.

Don’t know what the purpose is because the fan still goes on high when I get in car and interior is hot.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I am not a 100% sure but I think it really only sets the fan speed once it achieves the desired temp.

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
Anyone else feel like the blower fan is insufficient. Now that the temps are in the 90s it just feel like it takes forever to cool the car down. Almost like they forgot to upgrade the blower motor even though we have a lot more cubic feet than the Sportback.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
The fan in my car also does this strong-weaker-strong-weaker iteration. Thought it was just an imperfection in the close loop control system for fan speed.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I run the AC at full blast all the time and I've experienced nothing of the sort. I never have the climate control on auto. Set the temp on Low,.. Fan on the highest setting and dual zones synced.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I also get the fan pulsing but only when set on auto and the fan speed high because of a large temperature variance between actual and set (desired) speed is large. If I were to guess, it may have something to do with the cabin humidity sensor and potentially ultra sensitive as it sniffs humidity?

It seems that auto directs a percentage of air onto the hot windshield. This to me is wasteful as the cold air first bounces off the hot glass instantly warming it. If you direct it on your body/face it at least it 'feels' cooler which ultimately is the desired result.

Seems to me the quickest way to feel cooler is to:
1) set to high fan speed
2) max ac setting
3) recirc setting
4) vents set at body/face ONLY. I don't care if the car is actually cooling down as long as it FEELS that I am cooler.
5) car is not idling (you're driving)

Also, I noticed today that when my wife redirected her center vent (right center vent) towards me, I was hit with a wall of cold air. I think that particular vent's louver angle is actually ideal for the driver!

Last edited:

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I've definitely noticed the pulsing when on auto, but like others have said... a quick switch from auto > manual, then back to auto seems to solve the issue.

I know I live in MN and our temps are not what they are down south, but this car freezes me out with the A/C. I have to run it at 74 when on a longer drive or I'm shivering to death. I can't comment on the time it takes to cool the car down as my ancient TDI is far worse than this vehicle, with a perfectly working/charged system.

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence April 2018 Build Date
Regarding what the "auto fan speed" setting does (accessed via the infotainment screen in "settings") - I believe it sets the "limit" for the fan speed when the system is in "auto" mode. If set for "MEDIUM", the fan will never run any higher than that speed as long as the system is in "auto" mode. As the weather warmed up here, I found the medium fan setting insufficient for cooling down the car after it had been parked in the sun so I changed the setting to "HIGH". I always use "AUTO" mode with the temperature set at 70 (sync) and always find it very comfortable.

Pedal Commander