Air conditioning 20 degrees warmer on drivers side

Thread starter #1

Hemimax

Buick Ownership
Century
Already ruled out:
High and low AC pressures are dead on (35 degrees on passenger side).
Does not have right and left comfort controls just one electric blend door which I removed so I could control the temperature manually, all the other vacuum blend doors are functioning.
Does not have a heater control valve.
Cleaned out the cabin filter area, AC condenser and radiator.
Now I am cleaning and flushing the coolant system.
I found this in a hay barn with a lot of rodent damage so am guessing the only thing left is some blockage in the AC evaporator. So my question is does anyone have a better idea before I tear into the dash?

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Yep, had the same exact thing on my 98' Regal (RIP).

Topped up the AC refrigerant and all was good.

Before topping up, I do recommend putting in some AC system seal. Make sure the bottle of AC seal also helps seal the AC compressor. Because those are the best sealers that actually work. My 98' Regal had a HUGE leak (I would add refrigerant and it would leak out withing 1 minute ! ) and the better sealer WORKED, but not right away. It took several days, but it held for the rest of it's life.

Also, there is no need to add any type of oil when topping up because modern refrigerant has oil in it. I add AC oil when I replace the compressor, but even then I've replaced a compressor with out adding oil and it worked good.

Yeah, I'm the family mechanic. I would not enjoy fixing cars for a living.

Thread starter #3

Hemimax

Buick Ownership
Century
But the AC system is tight and there are no leaks, it is almost throwing ice out the passenger side vents. Originally it had a bad high pressure port, replaced that, vacuumed, tested and filled to normal operating pressures.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Like I said. I had the same issue and I replaced the blend doors to with no success. then I filled the AC Refrigerant and it worked perfect. Before topping up the AC the filler gauge showed pressure right at minimum but still OK. Topped it off with 1 bottle of refrigerant and all was good.
Gotta do everything by the book or you can blow the seals and compressor if you add too much. But it's not hard to do it yourself as long as you get the filler lines WITH a Gauge and go by the instructions on the bottle.

Thread starter #5

Hemimax

Buick Ownership
Century
Sorry if I am not understanding. I have already filled the AC and have pushed the low side to its maximum 35psi so I cannot add any more without going over specifications.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
I gotcha..
The gauge I use for filling the AC shows 55 psi for safe Max pressure.

But you're right .. 35 psi should be good. 25 psi is the bare minimum.

fonzo

Buick Ownership
regal
Yep, had the same exact thing on my 98' Regal (RIP).

Topped up the AC refrigerant and all was good.

Before topping up, I do recommend putting in some AC system seal. Make sure the bottle of AC seal also helps seal the AC compressor. Because those are the best sealers that actually work. My 98' Regal had a HUGE leak (I would add refrigerant and it would leak out withing 1 minute ! ) and the better sealer WORKED, but not right away. It took several days, but it held for the rest of it's life.

Also, there is no need to add any type of oil when topping up because modern refrigerant has oil in it. I add AC oil when I replace the compressor, but even then I've replaced a compressor with out adding oil and it worked good.

Yeah, I'm the family mechanic. I would not enjoy fixing cars for a living.
I'm having that same issue on my 2000 regal. I replaced the actuator on the "warm"/driver's side with no change(dual climate control). Since the A/C air all comes from the same place, how can adding refrigerant magically make the "warm" side as cold as the "cold" side?
It would be great if that would work, but I don't see how it can.
Does anyone know how to get to the actual blend door to inspect it and make sure it is working and not broken or something?
Thanks.

Thread starter #8

Hemimax

Buick Ownership
Century

I removed the actuator (my 1999 only has one for the temp blend) and then plugged it back in to check the motor operation. I also moved the blend door manually to see if the effect was the same. All the others (vacuum) were operating the air deflection to the vents as expected. Unfortunately further inspection would require removing the dash to see all the doors.
I am beginning to suspect it could be a low charge, an obstruction or air in the system that may be the cause. When I get time I might try vacuuming and recharging it again.

Last edited:

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
Same problem on our Regal. We removed the actuator and and tested that system with no issues.

Took to garage for recharge and works perfectly now.

I would strongly recommend against using those AC recharge cans as they seem to kill AC systems in the cars of our friends and family. Good professional machines are much more sophisiticated and do the job correctly.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.