Air leak at base of valve stem - question

Thread starter #1

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2007 Corvette Coupe, 2018 Cadillac ATS
I have had an extremely slow leak in my front right tire for the past month - I finally got a chance to take it out and dip in water (as I could not find any nails/screws) and there are air bubbles coming from the base of the valve stem.

Please see picture with the red arrow pointing to leak.

Does anybody know if this can be fixed without changing the TPMS?

Attachments

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Honestly if I was stuck on the side of the road and no other options I'd consider using silicone, but that would be the only way. So replace it with a new valve kit as HotZ28 mentioned and do it once, correctly.

Thread starter #4

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
Gents, so I gather this is something less than replacing the TPMS? Is this a new valve stem that attaches to the TPMS? Thanks!

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
The only thing might be if the screw attachment of transducer to valve stem creates a sealing pressure of rubber stem? No idea what we have but if it's strictly a rubber compression seal and rubber is in good shape (no cracks in rubber) I can't see why it would leak.

I would apply some oil around perimeter and slightly rotate stem to perhaps create a seal between rubber and wheel orifice, maybe dry. Also Schrader valve can be loose itself and leak. Inexpensive tool made to remove and snug those, they're a threaded screw-in.

The old show chrome valve stems had a nut and washer that needed snugging for no leaks but that was those, then. Apparently flat tire slime also will wreak havoc w/TPMS

Also soapy water in spray bottle generously applied will show bubbles if any leaks present, just jack up wheel spray and rotate. Curious too to see which exactly we have for stems from posts, quite helpful...... image.jpeg

Last edited:

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
Last fall, a deer ran out of the woods across four lanes of traffic and into the driver's side of the car just before the rear door. Deer dead. $4,000 later, slow leak in left rear tire. Finally found a tear slit at the base of the valve stem. Dealer replaced the valve stem without having to replace the TPM sensor. Not a hard job.

Thread starter #10

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
Sorry, I should have posted the outcome of this - way back when this happened I took it to the tire store who installed my tires and they replaced the valve stem for 20 dollars labour included - fixed the problem!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.