• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

All wheel drive indication?

jdoodle

Sustaining Member
Texas
Buick Ownership
2018 regal tourx
Is there any kind of indication when all wheel drive is engaged on the TourX. Nothing in owner's manual and couldn't find anything already here with search function.

autocomman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
There is a green gear icon that will pop up when it's torque vectoring/sending more power to the rear of the car. Corner aggressively and you'll see it light up

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Is that for all variants, Buick, Opel/Vauxhall/Holden? I've never seen it on my Holden. Perhaps I don't drive it hard enough.
I think this is a white needle only thing in the US. So it may be a similar restriction in the ROW.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Got this off the Facebook site. They claimed it's from a Cadillac manual:

Screenshot_20210601-055629.png

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Got this off the Facebook site. They claimed it's from a Cadillac manual:
The 8-spd Aisin unfortunately isn’t a “performance” anything.

Our green icon has more to do with the torque vectoring in the GKN rear diff.

OP, the AWD is full-time but the rear differential has the ability to de-couple from the input of the driveshaft during cruising to improve fuel economy.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Thanks. Pretty sure we have only red needle over here.
eh, that is not true, mate.
I searched online for 2019 Holden Commodore Interior and came across the following.
Pay no attention to the gauges, and focus on the infotainment screen.
It has the new android based UI.
1622554082182.png
Apparently it is a used car for sale.
1622554353538.png

Another one from a Holden dealer this time.

They do seem like bloody unicorns though.
I had to go through pages after pages of search to find them. Other ones are all QNX based.

Another one here:
1622554752358.png
Source: 2019 Holden 2019 HOLDEN COMMODORE LT 5YR ZB TURBO FI LIFTBACK 9 SP AUTOMATIC, 4 CYLINDER, 1998 CC

Last edited:

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Just a data point, the upper level gauge cluster with the larger configurable display (like the US version of the GS has) does not have a green gear icon.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
I don't think they've ever published what the default torque split is. It's definitely feels very front-biased in my experience compared with the xDrive BMW that I had (which I think is 60% rear until slippage is detected.)

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
I don't think they've ever published what the default torque split is. It's definitely feels very front-biased in my experience compared with the xDrive BMW that I had (which I think is 60% rear until slippage is detected.)
% is pointless because our cars have an open front diff, PTU driven from one front driveshaft and an active rear. I haven’t seen a roller test of our cars but it should do well with brake-activated traction control and rear vectoring.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
2019 Holden ZB Commodore RSV Liftback 3.6 AWD
eh, that is not true, mate.
I searched online for 2019 Holden Commodore Interior and came across the following.
Pay no attention to the gauges, and focus on the infotainment screen.
It has the new android based UI.

They do seem like bloody unicorns though.
I had to go through pages after pages of search to find them. Other ones are all QNX based.

Another one here:
View attachment 31069
Source: 2019 Holden 2019 HOLDEN COMMODORE LT 5YR ZB TURBO FI LIFTBACK 9 SP AUTOMATIC, 4 CYLINDER, 1998 CC
I was thinking specifically of New Zealand when I made that comment.

While New Zealand and Australia were superficially the same market there were differences. For example, there were never any RS V6 models sold in New Zealand. I guess the white needles is another one.

No not unicorns really The upside down photo shows the LT (base model) and the RS (mid spec model) 3.5" Driver information Display. The higher spec models had the larger 8"Enhanced Driver Information Display shown in the other photos.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
The 8-spd Aisin unfortunately isn’t a “performance” anything.

Our green icon has more to do with the torque vectoring in the GKN rear diff.

OP, the AWD is full-time but the rear differential has the ability to de-couple from the input of the driveshaft during cruising to improve fuel economy.
Fortunately all of the models we got except for the diesel have the 9 speed auto.

I have noticed that the 9 speed does act similarly to the actions described for PAL/PAS activation. There's been several times where I have eased off on the accelerator and the gearbox instead of changing up as would be expected with an auto when the load goes off, but instead holds onto the gear selected.

Essentially is is full time AWD but there isn't power at all wheels all the time. I would have to go and find the explanation regarding the AWD split to be sure but my understand is 100% to the front unless driving conditions ( acceleration, turning, etc) or road conditions (gravel, slippery surface etc) dictate otherwise. Then up to 50% to the rear with the torque vectoring system applying that power as needed to either of or both of the rear wheels.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
% is pointless because our cars have an open front diff, PTU driven from one front driveshaft and an active rear. I haven’t seen a roller test of our cars but it should do well with brake-activated traction control and rear vectoring.
Do you mean rolling road or dyno?

I think there is a warning in some owners manuals about not putting our torque vectoring AWD's on a rolling road at least not a normal two wheel one. This video shows why.

Last edited:

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I was thinking specifically of New Zealand when I made that comment.

While New Zealand and Australia were superficially the same market there were differences. For example, there were never any RS V6 models sold in New Zealand. I guess the white needles is another one.

No not unicorns really The upside down photo shows the LT (base model) and the RS (mid spec model) 3.5" Driver information Display. The higher spec models had the larger 8"Enhanced Driver Information Display shown in the other photos.
I really can't tell if this is in Australia or New Zealand.
1622612021900.png
1622612044011.png

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
It looks like an Australian site but that article talks about being in New Zealand, the number plates are definitely New Zealand plates and instruments are the white needle version. Perhaps there were some white needle models imported. I've never seen any. My RSV was bought new late in August 2019 well after the date that the white needles were apparently produced, and it is red needle.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
It looks like an Australian site but that article talks about being in New Zealand, the number plates are definitely New Zealand plates and instruments are the white needle version. Perhaps there were some white needle models imported. I've never seen any. My RSV was bought new late in August 2019 well after the date that the white needles were apparently produced, and it is red needle.
Let's not get so hung up on the cluster needle colour. :)
Perhaps we shall focus on the infotainment UI, as you pointed out on the upside down picture.
That has red needle, but it is indeed the android based 7 inch UI.
(BTW, glad to learn something new every day. Christchurch, Canterbury is indeed in NZ and I would have never knew!)

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Do you mean rolling road or dyno?

I think there is a warning in some owners manuals about not putting our torque vectoring AWD's on a rolling road at least not a normal two wheel one. This video shows why.
I meant what your video shows. Someone on YouTube puts test vehicles on the three-roller setup to see how effective their AWD systems are.

thanks for finding that, it shows how effective the GKN is when the software is done right.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners