• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

All wheel drive indication?

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Let's not get so hung up on the cluster needle colour. :)
Perhaps we shall focus on the infotainment UI, as you pointed out on the upside down picture.
That has red needle, but it is indeed the android based 7 inch UI.
(BTW, glad to learn something new every day. Christchurch, Canterbury is indeed in NZ and I would have never knew!)
US has the same "red needle" on the lower spec cars (non navi / 7" infotainment screen) but with the later infotainment interface. I think the obvious difference is the the US gauges have the speedo with the always visible dual scale mph and km/hr and the slight difference in labeling of the fuel and water temp scales.

Attachments

• red need late interface.PNG
    red need late interface.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
2019 Holden ZB Commodore RSV Liftback 3.6 AWD
I meant what your video shows. Someone on YouTube puts test vehicles on the three-roller setup to see how effective their AWD systems are.

thanks for finding that, it shows how effective the GKN is when the software is done right.
After I posted I did wonder if that's what you were meaning.

It is a very good demonstration of how good the AWD system is on our cars.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
Here's quite a good explanation of the AWD system fitted to our cars. While the article is focussed on the VXR (similar to the Buick Regal GS in that the VXR mode relates to the GS mode), the major difference transmission/suspension wise with the VXR was the 20 inch rims and the magnetic suspension. Other than the magnetic suspension, VXR mode made slight differences over Sport mode in steering feel and gearbox response but that's about it.

It also talks about the 9 speed auto which as far as I know in the US only applies to the GS whereas all of our models except the diesel got the 9 speed.

The Hiperstrut was only fitted to the V6's over here, not sure it you got it on the turbo 4's.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
...the major difference transmission/suspension wise with the VXR was the 20 inch rims and the magnetic suspension. Other than the magnetic suspension, VXR mode made slight differences over Sport mode in steering feel and gearbox response but that's about it...
Please correct me if I am wrong, but don't think any Insignia variant has magnetic ride control (MRC). Other than a few exceptions, MRC has been exclusively used for Cadillac and Chevy performance vehicles. All of the "sporty" Insignia trims come with the continuous damping control (CDC) system.

CDC utilizes electronically controlled valves to dampen the suspension instead of magnets. I do know Holden engineers tuned the suspension specifically for Australasia roads, but I think that was just ECU tuning. The hardware between the VXR and GS is identical to my knowledge.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
It also talks about the 9 speed auto which as far as I know in the US only applies to the GS
FYI - The FWD Sportback also got the 9 speed in the US. They detuned the torque to 260 lb-ft but it still provides a solid 5.6 second 0-60. I believe the FWD version is fairly rare option here.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
Please correct me if I am wrong, but don't think any Insignia variant has magnetic ride control (MRC). Other than a few exceptions, MRC has been exclusively used for Cadillac and Chevy performance vehicles. All of the "sporty" Insignia trims come with the continuous damping control (CDC) system.

CDC utilizes electronically controlled valves to dampen the suspension instead of magnets. I do know Holden engineers tuned the suspension specifically for Australasia roads, but I think that was just ECU tuning. The hardware between the VXR and GS is identical to my knowledge.
You are probably correct. Some of the high spec VF Commodores, (the model before the ZB) had MRC. Perhaps that's where the confusion came from.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Ahh Ok. Was the 8 speed on the turbo 4 AWD?

Why the de-tune?
Yes, the AWD Sportback got the 8 speed. The FWD was detuned to help minimize wheel spin and torque steer. However, max torque in the FWD is achieved 1k earlier than the AWD version¹. Pretty impressive, since it's only .2 sec slower than the GS to 60 mph².

¹2018 Buick Regal Sportback FWD

²2018 Buick Regal GS

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
Yes, the AWD Sportback got the 8 speed. The FWD was detuned to help minimize wheel spin and torque steer. However, max torque in the FWD is achieved 1k earlier than the AWD version¹. Pretty impressive, since it's only .2 sec slower than the GS to 60 mph².

²2018 Buick Regal GS
What output does the AWD 4 cylinder turbo engine have?

300T

Buick Ownership
Insignia Sports Tourer 260 4x4
FYI - The FWD Sportback also got the 9 speed in the US. They detuned the torque to 260 lb-ft but it still provides a solid 5.6 second 0-60. I believe the FWD version is fairly rare option here.
The 9 speed is torque limited to 258 lbft, which is exactly what every GM model equipped with the 2.0T makes when using this transmission. It was a joint venture between GM/Ford and developed by GM but Ford decided not to use it.

Most Insignia's in Europe now use the 9 speed as it replaced the much stronger AW 8 speed when GM replaced the beefier LTG engine with the new emissions/economy focused LSY.

The 2.0 turbo diesel FWD/AWD Insignia still uses the AW 8 speed due to the torque it produces but the current 9 speed, LSY equipped GSI only makes 230 PS and 258 lbft. Quite the drop from the previous AW 8 speed, 256 PS and 295 lbft of the pre-facelift LTG equipped GSI.

Last edited:
Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
The 9 speed is torque limited to 258 lbft, which is exactly what every GM model equipped with the 2.0T makes when using this transmission. It was a joint venture between GM/Ford and developed by GM but Ford decided not to use it.

Most Insignia's in Europe now use the 9 speed as it replaced the much stronger AW 8 speed when GM replaced the beefier LTG engine with the new emissions/economy focused LSY.

The 2.0 turbo diesel FWD/AWD Insignia still uses the AW 8 speed due to the torque it produces but the current 9 speed, LSY equipped GSI only makes 230 PS and 258 lbft. Quite the drop from the previous AW 8 speed, 256 PS and 295 lbft of the pre-facelift LTG equipped GSI.
The 3.6L V6 produces 281 lb/ft so the 9 speed must be able to handle more than 258lb/ft or does the V6 have a different variant of the 9 speed from the 2L turbo?

Which also begs the question, why was the 2L turbo down specced when there is a gearbox than could handle the torque? One story I heard was that the 2L turbo would have over shadowed the V6

Edit: Initially entered the torque figure for the V6in NM instead of lb/ft

Last edited:

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence

²2018 Buick Regal GS
And that's why I just couldn't spend the extra money on a GS. Feel like they could have got more out of the v6 in terms of 0-60.

300T

Buick Ownership
Insignia Sports Tourer 260 4x4
The 3.6L V6 produces 281 lb/ft so the 9 speed must be able to handle more than 258lb/ft or does the V6 have a different variant of the 9 speed from the 2L turbo?

Which also begs the question, why was the 2L turbo down specced when there is a gearbox than could handle the torque? One story I heard was that the 2L turbo would have over shadowed the V6

Edit: Initially entered the torque figure for the V6in NM instead of lb/ft

Several versions of the 9 speed transmission do exist with different torque ratings, so it's more than likely the 3.6 received one with a higher torque rating.

I believe the switch to the 9 speed in the majority of models coincided with the replacement of the LTG 2.0T (295 lbft) with the new LSY 2.0T (258 lbft) engine, which was designed with an emphasis on fuel economy and lower emissions unlike its predecessor. I guess the LSY works in tandem with the additional gear in the new transmission in order to deliver better fuel economy and lower emissions, which are now essential for all manufacturers, especially one like GM who still has a large portfolio of big V6 and V8 engines dragging down those group wide figures.

Europe also receives a detuned LSY with 200 PS instead of the 230 PS produced in a GSI but the same 258 lbft, so it's possible GM have designed an engine that physically can't make as much torque as the LTG or it can but it is artificially limited via software to enable them to use a lower torque rated (less expensive) transmission for the 2.0T models.

European Insignia's with the 8 speed are already highly torque limited at the transmission via the TCU (all gears except 2, 5 and 6 and power limited in gears 1-6) in order to meet emissions/fuel economy targets, which is why our cars do 0-62 in a yawn inducing 7.5 seconds. They dropped the LTG in Europe after just one year as it could no longer meet emissions standards without big financial penalties for the manufacturer and that's with the driveline castrated via a multitude of artificial torque/power limiters.

RTF

I agree, it could be faster, but this car is so much more than a 0-60 time.

Has anyone been able to get some reliable 0-60 times with the Trifecta tune with the GS? I’ve read a few times that the 2.0T Trifecta tune is “detuned” in the lower gears resulting in not much of a reduction in 0-60mph. The real change and hp gain is felt in passing power and higher gears where power isn’t limited.

I’m just wondering if the GS 9sp has these limitations as well.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Has anyone been able to get some reliable 0-60 times with the Trifecta tune with the GS? I’ve read a few times that the 2.0T Trifecta tune is “detuned” in the lower gears resulting in not much of a reduction in 0-60mph. The real change and hp gain is felt in passing power and higher gears where power isn’t limited.

I’m just wondering if the GS 9sp has these limitations as well.
In my experience the GM 9 speed is more smooth than our 8 speed Aisin transmission. (My father has a GMC Terrain with 2.0T AWD and GM 9-speed.)

Alex on Autos got a chance to drive the V6 Lacrosse with our 8 speed and the updated version of the V6 and 9 speed. He claimed that the GM 9-speed had a much lower 1st gear which made the last of the Lacrosses faster 0-60 simply by virtue of the transmission change.

Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Circling this thread back - took some tight corners at higher speeds in my 2018.5 Essence. Green gear showed up in the bottom right of the cluster screen.

I wish these had the drive distribution graphic in the cluster like my '11 Equinox work vehicle had, but at least there's something that shows when AWD really engages.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners