• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Alternate power source for Dashcam?

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
So I ran a dashcam in my previous car that was powered by USB. Does anyone know of an easily accessible power source on the TourX I could tap into without running the long wire to the regular sources?

For unimpeded driver visibility, I prefer to have it mounted in the somewhat blind spot behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side. On the prior car, I had the wire run down the A pillar and under the dash to a USB adapter in a 12v outlet.
On the TourX, however, due to the triangular knee-height partition on the passenger side of the center tunnel, it's tough to use the 12v outlet as a power source without a significant amount of the wire being exposed, (and not being able to close the cubby door either.) I'd also prefer not to take up one of the two infotainment-connected USB ports in the armrest console, which leaves the two Power USB ports for the rear seat passengers. In my instance, I have kids who would likely kick and break a plug that's always there.
While I could make any of these things function, they're not ideal for me, so I'm wondering if I can find a place to stash a USB adapter that would make this easier.

Thanks in advance.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Wagon
I bought a 15ft USB cable and ran it down the passenger A-pillar, under the floormat to the center console to the rear USB ports. Cost $6 shipped from Amazon and works perfectly.

If you’re worried about your kids kicking the USB, you could run an even longer cable to the rear 12v outlet. I would rather see you come up with some type of hard protection for the rear USB.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
The stock cable that came with the camera might be long enough, so it may cost me little to nothing. Good point on the kick protection idea - I can probably make a plexiglas/Lexan guard that sticks up from under the back of the console where it meets the floor.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
Is there a way you could tap into the overhead console ?
There might be. I have the pano roof so there's a big blank where the sunglasses holder would be. Even if the motor is there, I have to imagine there's enough room. And hopefully an easy power source that isn't computer controlled.

Vanderpoodle

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I bought one of these kits. It's not hard to run it up between the headliner and the windshield, down the pillar, under the carpet, behind the center console, under the steering column into the fuse box. I used the fuse tap to hook into the fuse for the 12v cigarette lighter. It doesn't provide constant power, but I'm sure a fuse that does can be found. Use a couple zips ties to hold things in place. The only wire visible is the inch or so from the camera to the edge of the headliner.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072J3L2JN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TommyOpel~74-18

Capitol Region of Pennsylvania
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
So I ran a dashcam in my previous car that was powered by USB. Does anyone know of an easily accessible power source on the TourX I could tap into without running the long wire to the regular sources?

For unimpeded driver visibility, I prefer to have it mounted in the somewhat blind spot behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side. On the prior car, I had the wire run down the A pillar and under the dash to a USB adapter in a 12v outlet.
On the TourX, however, due to the triangular knee-height partition on the passenger side of the center tunnel, it's tough to use the 12v outlet as a power source without a significant amount of the wire being exposed, (and not being able to close the cubby door either.) I'd also prefer not to take up one of the two infotainment-connected USB ports in the armrest console, which leaves the two Power USB ports for the rear seat passengers. In my instance, I have kids who would likely kick and break a plug that's always there.
While I could make any of these things function, they're not ideal for me, so I'm wondering if I can find a place to stash a USB adapter that would make this easier.

Thanks in advance.
Mine is plugged into the rear USB and my kids never touch it.... It's tucked real nice so only the bare minimum is exposed and even with them climbing past it every day it's never been knocked loose.

Sportback btw... Not sure if the 2nd row is any different

Pedal Commander