• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Amazon Alexa Update for 2018+ GM Vehicles

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
There needs to be mute button for those who want to disable it, and I'm sure there will be. I would not be surprised if there is a mode where it will not listen until you press the button on the steering wheel. This potential eavesdropping from a digital assistant is not something I find worth worrying about, but I do understand why some people do not like it.

The fact is most of us walk around and live our lives today with devices in our pockets that have microphones. I am not sure why adding this to a car is now, "Well I gotta draw the line there! It's just like China and that Black Mirror episode." That's quite a stretch.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
Regal
There needs to be mute button for those who want to disable it, and I'm sure there will be. I would not be surprised if there is a mode where it will not listen until you press the button on the steering wheel. This potential eavesdropping from a digital assistant is not something I find worth worrying about, but I do understand why some people do not like it.

The fact is most of us walk around and live our lives today with devices in our pockets that have microphones. I am not sure why adding this to a car is now, "Well I gotta draw the line there! It's just like China and that Black Mirror episode." That's quite a stretch.
The European OnStar assembly looks like this:
1570482458061.png

Idano

Buick Ownership
Tourx
8 years ago a group of 16 year old kids were retweeting jokes from Tosh.O that they thought were funny. A few days ago a newspaper tried to destroy the life of one of those kids.
Today, the majority of the US high-tech industry is not only working with the Chinese Government to install an all encompassing state surveillance system but they are also advocating along with the majority of the current Presidential candidates, at least 1/3 of the Congress, and most of the news media to install a similar system in the US.
These are the facts. You can pretend it all a "stretch" or "paranoid" to point out that you could be the next Carson King, but he didn't do anything that most sane people would think problematic when he retweeted those jokes.
I own a TouX and have the always on Onstar and I'm not worried in the least that any harm will come to me and mine because of it, however, the reality of the possible consequences doesn't elude me and keeps me mindful.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Quick idea for a survey...

"Do you think the TV show 'Person of Interest' is a documentary?"

Part of me would like to think the harvesting of any/all personal data available is a conspiracy, just to know that there is an actual plan with someone in charge; but the (most likely) reality is that someone with more technical skills than common sense said 'hey! wouldn't it be neat if we...' and then the donimo's start to fall.

Homer32707

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
So Carson King, the guy who tried to use social media for his little joke, gets ridiculously called out, and this is why we shouldn't have Alexa in our cars? He tried to use social media to get famous, then didn't like fame because the current society chooses to get offended at everything, regardless of context or intention. Until we stop pandering and apologizing for crap that is stupid, this will all continue. I'm thankful that you spend your time worrying about this stuff so I can deal with actual issues.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
I am not aware of the plans for Amazon or GM to post recordings of the system to the public internet, like Twitter.

Will recordings be stored, privately, of our interactions with the system? Probably, at least for some time. Will transcripts be generated or stored? Almost certainly. Will people at Amazon or GM have access to these recordings? Seems likely. These could be stolen or leaked, and could be linked to or contain personally identifiable information.

It's up to each user to determine if this is a reasonable risk for using the system. However, to compare it to tweeting is absolutely a stretch and simply spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
They can already listen to you, track you, and even shut your car down. Haven't you seen the Onstar commercials ?
That's why I'm keeping the 03 Cobra. They can stop me like Kowalski in vanishing point.

kqian111

Those of you with dual USB ports in the center console, what happens when you plug both with phones? How does the infotainment system prioritize which phone to use for Apple Carplay and media playback, etc?

I have an earlier build with only one USB port and no aux port and looking to upgrade to two USB.

Thanks

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
Regal
Those of you with dual USB ports in the center console, what happens when you plug both with phones? How does the infotainment system prioritize which phone to use for Apple Carplay and media playback, etc?

I have an earlier build with only one USB port and no aux port and looking to upgrade to two USB.

Thanks
Or you can just get this which is way cheaper than replacing the part:
Amazon.com: Sabrent Premium 4 Port Aluminum Mini USB 2.0 Hub [90°/180° Degree Rotatable] (HB-UMMC): Computers & Accessories
(I have used this to plug in a lightning cable and a USB flash drive on an early build 2018, the car reads/detects both connections. But I have never tested which one takes priority.)

kqian111

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Preferred
After reading through this thread I figured a lot of you guys were just being overly paranoid. I mean how could a company dare mistreat data or have a sketchy privacy policy in 2019 after all the hellfire that's rained down on others when they make the smallest mistake? I didn't think it would be perfect but, I didn't think it would be overy abusive either. I was actually going to read through the legalese and come back with cited proof that it was actually a lot better than people thought it was.

Boy was I wrong.. It's actually pretty bad...

They can keep your data for as long as they deem they need it, they can share it with anyone (but they promise they'll try their best to anonymize it), even for "marketing purposes", and unless something changes at the Supreme Court, you have zero expectation of privacy inside your car once any reasonable cause is brought up. Oh, and police don't even need a warrant to start tracking where you drive.

Sources:
Privacy Statement
OnStar: GM May Record Car's Use
Cartapping: How Feds Have Spied On Connected Cars For 15 Years

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
That's why I'm keeping the 03 Cobra. They can stop me like Kowalski in vanishing point.
Guess I will have to use the 99 TA since no Onstar. But I prefer they not stop me at all. Mikie will let you take the point in one of my 6 ton GMC's if you can move those dozers enough for me to get thru...100 mph + might do it.IMG_20180910_092331651_HDR.jpg

Idano

Buick Ownership
Tourx
After reading through this thread I figured a lot of you guys were just being overly paranoid. I mean how could a company dare mistreat data or have a sketchy privacy policy in 2019 after all the hellfire that's rained down on others when they make the smallest mistake? I didn't think it would be perfect but, I didn't think it would be overy abusive either. I was actually going to read through the legalese and come back with cited proof that it was actually a lot better than people thought it was.

Boy was I wrong.. It's actually pretty bad...

They can keep your data for as long as they deem they need it, they can share it with anyone (but they promise they'll try their best to anonymize it), even for "marketing purposes", and unless something changes at the Supreme Court, you have zero expectation of privacy inside your car once any reasonable cause is brought up. Oh, and police don't even need a warrant to start tracking where you drive.

Sources:
Privacy Statement
OnStar: GM May Record Car's Use
Cartapping: How Feds Have Spied On Connected Cars For 15 Years
Stop it.
Now you're just trying to scare the women and children.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Or you can just get this which is way cheaper than replacing the part:
Amazon.com: Sabrent Premium 4 Port Aluminum Mini USB 2.0 Hub [90°/180° Degree Rotatable] (HB-UMMC): Computers & Accessories
(I have used this to plug in a lightning cable and a USB flash drive on an early build 2018, the car reads/detects both connections. But I have never tested which one takes priority.)
In my experience whichever phone was plugged in last gets the priority. I was plugged in and using my Android Auto when my wife plugged into the other port and her phone was suddenly the one that was connected to the infotainment screen.

If you plugged them in simultaneously?
schrodingerscat.jpg

GermyShoe

Richardson, TX
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
In my experience whichever phone was plugged in last gets the priority. I was plugged in and using my Android Auto when my wife plugged into the other port and her phone was suddenly the one that was connected to the infotainment screen.

Yeah, this has been my experience (red needle). I seem to remember that you could switch back and forth pushing maybe the carplay button again, but I don't remember exactly what that was and it was clunky at best.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
Regal

View attachment 18897
Design-wise, it makes sense to have the latest plugged in one to be higher priority.

Pedal Commander