Android Auto?

Robert1955

2016 Regal Turbo
I have a 2016 Regal and just noticed a screen shot in another section of the forum and it has Both Carplay and the Android Auto icons, do I need an update to my system to add the android stuff?

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick
I have a 2016 regal GS and mine has Apple CarPlay, I use it everyday. The icon won’t show till you plug your phone in via USB. It will replace the mirror icon

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
I have a 2016 Regal and just noticed a screen shot in another section of the forum and it has Both Carplay and the Android Auto icons, do I need an update to my system to add the android stuff?
The answer is yes. You need to go to the dealer and have the firmware updated. At one time the dealer would do it under warranty. Now they may charge for the labor.

Delton

Sacramento, California
2016 Buick Regal GS AWD w/ Trifecta Tune Previously: 2012 Buick Regal Premium I
Go to the dealer and ask for the Intellilink update. Here is the bulletin number in case they claim to be unable to find it.
16-NA-042 Date: Apr-2017. Should be $90~

garfi3ld

You have to have the navigation stereo as well I believe. When we bought our car it was a whole production trying to get them to do the update. They said at first that it wasn't a thing, then when I showed them it was they said the car had it and that it was a cable issue, which it wasn't.

After they did it they also talked about how buggy it is, giving me a bulletin from 2016 where there were issues with Verizon phones and android 6 or something extremely out of date. Once they actually did the update, it has worked great though

bugspop1

2015 Buick Regal Premium I - 2.0L Turbo
I've been considering adding one of these: Nav Tool - BUICK REGAL 2014-2017 VIDEO INTERFACE with Apple CarPlay

I have a 2015 and I'd have to Upgrade the HMI and Radio Module, then have them Programmed to my car at the Dealership.
I found a place offering both HMI & Radio Pre-programmed, but I thought it was a bit pricey between $600-$700
I'm just a bit worried what I might loose if I don't order the Right HMI, I already have the Navigation, SirusXM (I know there are other features that I'm forgetting).

IMO, this is an easier Option (Plug and Play), plus I can add Cameras to it: 360° View, Right & Left Side Views and Front View.

If the Nav Tool Interface is anything like the Fortin EVO-GMT1 Plug and Play Remote Start I added to my wife's 2013 GMC Terrain, I'm sure I could install it!
The Remote Start took about 15-20 minutes to install (after watching this Youtube Video) and that included tearing the SUV apart and putting the SUV back together.

Last edited:

myredcar

CT
2015 Lacrosse Leather 3.6
I am also in the process of doing this upgrade on 2015 (Lacrosse). I have decided to go with White Automotive Media Services (WAMS). Waiting for a break in the weather and my personal schedule to do the install. Yes, it's pricey but WAMS give full compatibility info that allows you to source your own components (used) if you wish. Saved me about $300 including shipping components back and forth. You will probably gain some features in addition to the AA/CP, like HD radio. From my research it seems that Chris White is the most experienced and reliable source for all the GM infotainment programming and serves other vendors as well. He is very responsive and accessible. Have you read reviews of the NAVtool application? I would check around first. Not much info on this forum about this. You need to go to the truck or Corvette forums. They have a much deeper knowledge base.

bugspop1

myredcar,
Thanks for the Heads Up.
I have read quite a few Good Reviews for Nav Tools, hundreds of them.
I've also read quite a few that weren't so forgiving.
Then last night I spent hours reading the Post on the Corvette Forum.
I hadn't been to any other forums looking, just read reviews.
That Forum Post got me wondering if maybe the Good Reviews were Made Up(Written by) by someone at Nav Tools?

I think I'd looked into WAMS once before, I know I did last night.
I'm really gonna have to find out exactly what kind of money I'm talking about.
I know I don't have to have the Factory NAV, but I don't want to give it up, or any
of the other things that came with my car.
From what I'm calculating, it's gonna be close to $1000 to do this (maybe $100-$200 Cheaper buying the Parts On Ebay or Amazon).
The only thing I'd be gaining going this route would be HD Radio, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I'm also going to have to check with my son to see if they can Program the HMI and Radio Module.
I'm sure they can, they're a Dealership, might be cheaper going this route?

Robert1955

2016 Regal Turbo
Not sure what year your car is but I think only the 2016 and up can get the android update. As far as nav stuff a Garmin is under $200 and the higher end ones might do some of the other stuff you are looking for.

myredcar

CT
myredcar,
Thanks for the Heads Up.
I have read quite a few Good Reviews for Nav Tools, hundreds of them.
I've also read quite a few that weren't so forgiving.
Then last night I spent hours reading the Post on the Corvette Forum.
I hadn't been to any other forums looking, just read reviews.
That Forum Post got me wondering if maybe the Good Reviews were Made Up(Written by) by someone at Nav Tools?

I think I'd looked into WAMS once before, I know I did last night.
I'm really gonna have to find out exactly what kind of money I'm talking about.
I know I don't have to have the Factory NAV, but I don't want to give it up, or any
of the other things that came with my car.
From what I'm calculating, it's gonna be close to $1000 to do this (maybe $100-$200 Cheaper buying the Parts On Ebay or Amazon).
The only thing I'd be gaining going this route would be HD Radio, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I'm also going to have to check with my son to see if they can Program the HMI and Radio Module.
I'm sure they can, they're a Dealership, might be cheaper going this route?
A dealer can definitely do the programming but, they normally will not do it for the kind of upgrade we are talking about since, it involves swapping modules. If you have a connection there, that's great. In fact, this kind of program involves a download onto a USB and then program the modules through the USB port. You do not come near the ECM so, nothing mission critical at risk. Yes, you can end up paying $1000 if you go through MVI or infotainment.com with new modules and it would still be about $700 (including programming) if you source used parts yourself. If you net out a $150 map update that I would have to do, the net cost is $550. I also hope to get some money back reselling my current modules on ebay. Still, it's definitely not a cheap upgrade. The main benefit of the HMI 2.5 upgrade is that it apparently makes for an overall better intellilink experience since the response time is much improved. . If you can get past the cost, I have not heard anyone regretting the upgrade though it would probably make most sense for someone who does not already have factory nav and a Bose radio.

bugspop1

Mine doesn't have the Bose System, so that's not a problem.
It does have the Factory Navigation System.

I did mention this to my son one day and he did say something about Programming it.
I'd have to check and see how much it will cost me.
He can't do it for free, it is a Dealership, but I'm sure he can get it done at his cost for me!
He can sometimes get the Parts I need cheaper than I can find them too!

I just recently got my Drivers Side Heated Seat Fixed, an Oil Change (Synthetic Oil & Filter) and Tires Rotated for around $160 (that included Parts and Labor). Parts for the Heated Seat (Both Elements) were close to $100. The cheapest I could find was just under $100 for the parts, but the shipping about killed me at $35 - $40.
I could have done all this work myself, but why would I want the aggravation for that price?

myredcar

CT
Sounds like you are well taken care of. As long as you are at it, you should get the map update from your son as well.

bugspop1

Sometimes his prices on Parts are more expensive than what I can buy myself, but he will let me bring in my own parts.
He prefers that I stick with AC Delco Parts, as they were designed for my car.
But I'm sure he could get the work done for me even if I didn't buy AC Delco.
His guys didn't really like working on my Ford when I had it, but they rarely said No!

bugspop1

agaric,
I think myredcar was just suggesting getting the 2020 Map Update if I do go ahead with getting the
CarPlay, Anroid Auto Upgrade.
I'm pretty sure he was just suggesting having my son get the Update and Install it at the same time.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!