• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Anmeter installation 1970 Buick Skylark

cadjaw55

Buick Ownership
1970 Skylark
I was just getting ready to install and ammeter gauge on my Skylark. I have a tendency to overthink myself. The instructions are really poorly illustrated and written. This Skylark uses a Generator with a voltage regulator. Instead of using and alternator with a Zener Diode for voltage regulation. I was a D.C. Crane repairman and Electrical/Mechanical repairman for 30 years. Now I am just totally confused...LOL. I had thought of taking the idiot light wire, cutting it and running in series with the ammeter. What is the correct way to hook this device up? My son was supposed to help but he is no where to be found. There are several different ways to hook this up according to YOUtube.....but they all are newer model cars. Can someone provide me with best and easiest way to hook this thing up??? At 65 years old...I cant creep or crawl under dashboards, inside motor or under motor like I used to.....otherwise I will spend considerable time doing likewise....my motto...."there is always a solution to the problem, just keep digging."

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
How did that vehicle end up with a generator?
From the factory it would have had an alternator in 1970.
Which engine is in the car?
Are you sure it is not an alternator with a external regulator?

Last edited:

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
An ammeter measures amperage. I believe you need to install it in series between the alternator and battery. That being said, I wouldn't even bother with an ammeter. Install a voltage gauge, a lot easier and will tell you just as much. What year is this Buick Skylark? It should have an alternator. A popular upgrade is to install a 12SI internally regulated alternator. They put out triplle the amperage at idle vs. an externally regulated unit.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Not sure if this will help as not being sure what's being connected, generator or alternator.
inst_amp1.jpg

cadjaw55

Buick Ownership
1970 Skylark
Aha! It is and Altenator with external voltage regulator! I should have recognized that......I am so used to built in voltage regulators.....I replaced both the Alternator and Regulator with new ones....didn't think it was necessary to upgrade the output at that time. With no A/C.....and basic package.....thought I'd just keep it original......which leads to how to install..the ammeter is part of a 3 meter set....oil.....water temp....ammeter....I can actually use idiot light wires which should be in series to pick up output.....or is there any easier way? I will look....any suggestions would be appreciated........light bulbs are starting to light in this old brain....as to ideas how to do it......what year did they stop using generators anyway??????????????

Pedal Commander