• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Annoying Headrest Position

Irish

Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue, 2003 Buick Leabre Limited
Anyone here find that the headrest on the front seats extends too far forward and can be uncomfortable? And has anyone found a way to adjust it back some so it isn't so close? I wasn't able to remove it or turn it around.

Barry

Palm Springs, CA.
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Mocha Steel Prem. pkg, chrome wheels HUD, 2013 Verano Turbo Mocha Bronze Metallic.
Yup, I found that to be the case on my 2012. I was told by several dealers that the position is due to a change in safety regulations. There is no adjustment. Some folks I believe....have removed it and turned it around but I haven't tried. I just tilted the seat back...rearward an inch or two and made do that way.

jft69z

Western NY
Buick Ownership
'11 CXL-gone, '11 CTS-V Coupe (6M), '13 ZR1 Vette, '69 RS/Z-28 454 cu.in;'15 BMW 550i
I removed the headrest and bent the 2 metal rods to a bit straighter position & then reinstalled them. Much better..

Irish

Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue, 2003 Buick Leabre Limited
I removed the headrest and bent the 2 metal rods to a bit straighter position & then reinstalled them. Much better..

How did you remove the headrest? On my 2013, the headrest slides on 2 curved steel rods. There is a button on the side that releases it to slide up or down, but it won't come off. the rods are stationary and I don't see any release to remove them.

cheflionfoot

How did you remove the headrest? On my 2013, the headrest slides on 2 curved steel rods. There is a button on the side that releases it to slide up or down, but it won't come off. the rods are stationary and I don't see any release to remove them.
With the button depressed just pull the headrest right out

jft69z

Western NY
Buick Ownership
'11 CXL-gone, '11 CTS-V Coupe (6M), '13 ZR1 Vette, '69 RS/Z-28 454 cu.in;'15 BMW 550i
With the button depressed just pull the headrest right out
I don't think that will work, at least on my '11. I think you have to raise the headrest all the way up. There are 2 round plastic trim pieces at the base that twist onto the seat itself. Turn them counter-clockwise and lift them up the chrome rod. Then poke around and pull back the leather into the seat itself. At around the 11 o'clock position (from the back seat) you will see a spring clip that holds the notched rod in place. Fiddle with that clip to release it and it should pull right up. Only trick is you have to do them both at the same time. If I remember, it was a small PITA....

They go back in a lot easier, lol..

If you need a picture, let me know & I'll get one later.

Joe

cheflionfoot

I don't think that will work, at least on my '11. I think you have to raise the headrest all the way up. There are 2 round plastic trim pieces at the base that twist onto the seat itself. Turn them counter-clockwise and lift them up the chrome rod. Then poke around and pull back the leather into the seat itself. At around the 11 o'clock position (from the back seat) you will see a spring clip that holds the notched rod in place. Fiddle with that clip to release it and it should pull right up. Only trick is you have to do them both at the same time. If I remember, it was a small PITA....

They go back in a lot easier, lol..

If you need a picture, let me know & I'll get one later.

Joe
Holy Moly. I guess I got a defective car. Mine is an '11 and that's how the headrest came out. Press the button, hold and lift it out of the seat. I guess the rest of the LaCrosses out there are built for rocket scientist! :blink:

jft69z

Western NY
Buick Ownership
Holy Moly. I guess I got a defective car. Mine is an '11 and that's how the headrest came out. Press the button, hold and lift it out of the seat. I guess the rest of the LaCrosses out there are built for rocket scientist! :blink:
My button is on the headrest itself and raises that part only on the chrome rods that are stationary to the seat. I had to do the part I mentioned earlier to get the chrome rods out so I could bend them in a real big vice.

There is no button on the front seat part of mine to release the rods from the seat back, just that buried spring clip that holds it in place. If you use a small pick or screwdriver to hook into that springs eyelet and pull it to the side, it will release that other part of the spring you see down the hole that latches into the notch of the chrome rod. Not exactly rocket science :D

The service procedure adds this tip: If the clip becomes dislodged, it may be necessary to remove the guides to reset the clips

To avoid this, don't go crazy trying to pull the thing out of the way, it didn't take much to release it.

The REAR seat head restraints are easy, push the buttons on the seat back part & the entire assembly pops out.

Last edited:

cheflionfoot

My button is on the headrest itself and raises that part only on the chrome rods that are stationary to the seat. I had to do the part I mentioned earlier to get the chrome rods out so I could bend them in a real big vice.

There is no button on the front seat part of mine to release the rods from the seat back, just that buried spring clip that holds it in place. If you use a small pick or screwdriver to hook into that springs eyelet and pull it to the side, it will release that other part of the spring you see down the hole that latches into the notch of the chrome rod. Not exactly rocket science :D

The service procedure adds this tip: If the clip becomes dislodged, it may be necessary to remove the guides to reset the clips

To avoid this, don't go crazy trying to pull the thing out of the way, it didn't take much to release it.

The REAR seat head restraints are easy, push the buttons on the seat back part & the entire assembly pops out.
I stand corrected! I was wrong. My driver's headrest pops out but not the passenger. So it is defective. Should get that checked. Thanks for the post!:sad:

jft69z

Western NY
Buick Ownership
My driver's headrest pops out but not the passenger. So it is defective. Should get that checked. Thanks for the post!:sad:
Maybe that spring clip is screwed up like they mentioned in the service procedure & isn't latching. Seems odd though because both rods have the clip, not just one. Hmmmm, strange one you got there....maybe a 'Friday' car from the factory? :) :cheers:

Look down the hole the rods go thru & see if that clip is in there. If you can't see it, peel back a little of the leather that surrounds the guide like I took a picture of & see if the clip is off to the side possibly. That notch on the headrest picture is the one it latches onto, if it's not there or your headrest has already been flipped around, it won't hold it in place. Just a few thoughts without really being able to see what you have over there.

Last edited:

KegerChris

Buick Ownership
2016 Lacrosse
I know this is an older thread, but it was the only info I could find on this and I still had a hard time understanding what to do, so I figured I'd help out the next guy.

I have a 2016 Lacrosse that I had to remove the headrest on. Someone very heavy had completely flattened the cushion on this seat, so the headrest was pushing my head really far forward.

Instructions:
First, turn the plastic circles at the base of the headrest supports counter-clockwise and slide them very carefully up to the point that they are on the horizontal part of the headrest support bar.

Secondly, sit in the back seat with the front seat leaned back towards you. Use a screw driver to move the padding on the upper left part of the hole (about the 10 o'clock position on BOTH bars). There is a 1/8 metal loop that you'll need to get either an Allen key or some other skinny metal object through. Get one allen key positioned in one side and do the same on the other side.

Finally, have someone slide the headrest up and out as you push both allen keys to the left at the same time. You don't have to push hard or far. The notch you're moving the retaining clip out of is very shallow. (you're still sitting in the back seat)

KegerChris

Buick Ownership
2016 Lacrosse
SAFETY NOTE: I did re-install the head-rest after modifying it to make it fit me properly. I'm not running around without one. You shouldn't either. (just a CYA statement)

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Headrests? Never noticed any problem, our seats are set back though, long legged. Will have to look at those. Know back headrests will flip down and can be completely removed if required, at least on the 2016 model. Seats themselves fold down also.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Hold on a minute. Was out vacing the LC and checked the ft. headrests.... They not only go up and down but forward and back. Adjust button on headrest itself. Can't believe this feature is unique to just late models? I'd check those out a bit closer?🤗

Thx much for pointing that feature out.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
They must have a horizontal forward and rearward adjustment same as the '16 LaCrosse? Button on headrest itself? Or remove and bend the rods lmao, some of the posts are really funny😂

Hmm, ReCaro's don't seem to pose the headrest issue.image.jpeg

Last edited:

G-807828

I am looking at purchasing a 2019 Envision and will need to easily remove the passenger side headrest on occasion to fit my kayak in up to the dashboard. Is there any easy way to remove that headrest and put it back on without much effort? Seems like the above suggestion is a time consuming pain.

G-871625

I am looking at purchasing a 2019 Envision and will need to easily remove the passenger side headrest on occasion to fit my kayak in up to the dashboard. Is there any easy way to remove that headrest and put it back on without much effort? Seems like the above suggestion is a time consuming pain.
My neighbor is trying to get a paddle board in a Buick LaCrosse right now . We can't get the passenger headrest out , 2014 ? Maybe . Oh well

Pedal Commander