Another iPhone question

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and have been reading the posts related to the iPhone but haven't found a specific answer to what I'm looking for.

I have a Lacrosse CSX with the nav system. I can download music into my nav system using the USB jack and I can hook up my iPhone to the vehicle using the same USB port and the Apple USB (white) cable that came with my iPhone. The bluetooth part works perfectly and I can see my phone book, missed calls, recent calls, etc.

But, I receive the error message saying charging is not allowed with this accessory when I plug in my iPhone to the USB jack. I have no problem charging with that USB cord when I plug it into the wall adapter or the cigarette lighter adapter. But I get the message when I plug it into the car.

I haven't been able to figure this one out and I've tried everything except buying a new USB cable from Apple. But since this one works perfectly at home, on my computer, etc, I didn't think I would need new one.

Has anyone else run into this issue and if so, what was the solution? I've seen posts on updating something with the radio and a few other items but other posts list the dealer as having no idea what to do to resolve the situation.

Thanks everyone.
John

H_Charles

Buick Ownership
2011 LaCrosse CXS, 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35is, 2011 Acura MDX
I got this message on my Iphone as well (non-nav). Apparently the newer Iphones in particular have this issue with Buicks.
I've actually had the same problem with hotel room docking stations as well.
The dealer told me to make sure I had the latest Apple firmware, which I think I have.
Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a fix for this now. I'm just waiting for some dealer update or for Apple to update, perhaps fixing it.

Does your phone actually charge, even though it says it won't?
Sometimes I get that message but it still charges.

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
Looks like I've solved part of this issue. I have some original Apple, white iPhone cords and some discount ones. The discount ones work great with the 110 wall charger but don't always play nicely with the USB on the computer or with the cigarette lighter.

Some of my Apple ones have the Apple logo screened on them. Others don't. Some have square corners and others are rounded. So I have now learned that I need to write an A on the USB housing of an Apple one if it doesn't have an Apple logo screened on it, so I can keep them straight.

I was using a non-Apple cord in the vehicle. It worked fine with the cigarette lighter in the armrest but it wouldn't work with the USB port.

However, when I plug in the Apple cord, I still receive a message saying this device is not optimized for use with the iPhone and some interference from the phone may occur and the signal strength may drop. Not sure why that is, but at least I don't receive the can't charge or unsupported accessory message.

So, if you have this problem, be sure to use an original Apple, white iPhone cable and you should be all set. It worked for me, mostly.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!