Anti-Sway Bar broken?

YouTube Video on sway bar replacement

It's basically the same procedure. What you will find is that the frame mounts for the bushings will not allow a ratchet on the back bolts. Patience here with a 15mm wrench will get the job done.

All of the time that the guy spent on removing the old links can be reduced with a cutting wheel. Zip!! through the middle of them and the links will fall out. Also, cutting off one end of the old sway bar aids in removing it. Not necessary but it's kinda fun to use that wheel, and since your old bar is hollow it's really quick.

The video is pretty straight forward. A helper is advised to help feed the new sway bar through ... but not necessary.

Enjoy! and be safe!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdOdimz_QUE[/ame]

Last edited:

merc6

Cleveland, OH
Buick Ownership
1998 Buick Century Limited
Check this out ... it's what mine looked like on the right:

I was lucky enough to be able to address the issue before the other half of the sway bar snapped off too.

This sway bar replacement should be a sticky.
Mine broke on both sides. Every car in the junk yard had a broken one as well.

It's basically the same procedure. What you will find is that the frame mounts for the bushings will not allow a ratchet on the back bolts. Patience here with a 15mm wrench will get the job done.

All of the time that the guy spent on removing the old links can be reduced with a cutting wheel. Zip!! through the middle of them and the links will fall out. Also, cutting off one end of the old sway bar aids in removing it. Not necessary but it's kinda fun to use that wheel, and since your old bar is hollow it's really quick.

The video is pretty straight forward. A helper is advised to help feed the new sway bar through ... but not necessary.

Enjoy! and be safe!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdOdimz_QUE
Yes to above. Cut it off the dorman gives you replacement parts for everything regarding the bar instal. You notice how the Dorman bar feels vs the stocker when you had them both in your hands?

Last edited:

golden2husky

Buick Newbie
Long Island New York
Buick Ownership
Buick
Front bar broke on the extra car ( 99 Century)...I noticed that the Dorman bar is 33mm but there is a "performance" 34 mm bar available from GM performance parts. It is listed for a Pontiac GP, but the basic Dorman bar for the Pontiac is the same as the one for the Buick. I am assuming that the GMPP bar will fit the Century as well...anybody try it? I guess this is a pattern failure, right after the brake lines, intake gasket, and fuel filler...

BU TECH

Buick Ownership
Buick
Yup, that's your sway bar, mine broke in the exactly same way, on the same side, the passenger side.

Took it out completely as it clunking on bumps and turns. Drove an entire year with it out, till I finally decided to get a new one and put it back on.

Didn't feel much difference in handling, the car did lean more on turns, that's about it. And wandered on the highway if it was really windy.

Rubber Duck

Buick Newbie
Peotone, IL
Buick Ownership
2003 Buick Century
Add one more to this ever-growing list of Buick Centurys with broken anti-sway bars.

Mine's a 2003. Probably gonna try doing it myself.

Rubber Duck

Buick Newbie
Peotone, IL
Buick Ownership
2003 Buick Century
The 2003 is one that you'd have to either pull the exhaust header on, or drop the sub-frame. With the left end touching the top of the left sub-frame, the center hitting the exhaust header, the right end was hitting the inside of the right subframe.

I cheated though & used a jack to force the end of the bar up over the sub-frame. I had to go around to the other side & tap it with a hammer til I was able to pull it through.

Car handles a hell of a lot different now.

The old one was broken completely on the right, and halfway broken on the left.

Last edited:

Azure

Buick Ownership
Buick
We had the exact same thing happen around 188,000 miles. I didn't fix it myself due to couch and TV. I don't remember if it was bad on the drivers side too. I had never seen a swap bar break like that before.

Jerry98

Buick Ownership
Buick
Just replaced my sway bar and end links and bushings, cost around $320 by mechanic. I made sure it was Dorman brand. I wasn't about to get another hollow one like the original. Hopefully the dealerships don't replace these with the same original part. Anyhow mine was broke at both ends so it was doing absolutely nothing. Mine made no noise at all. The only thing happening was that my ABS/traction/service lights would come on when making a sharp turn. So far after the replacement no lights have came on. Much more stable in the front end. You folks are correct, the bar, bushings and end links are around $92 at Advanced Auto if u can do the labor.

ledzilla

Buick Ownership
2001 Century Custom
I had actually gotten a sway bar kit with end links included for about $100 from A1 Auto Parts. So far I was only able to put in the end links (the previous ones had disintegrated). Since I heard these things tend to break, I wanted to nip it in the bud before it failed, but since I have to support the car on the subframe since the rocker panels are nothing but rust, I wasn't able to drop the subframe to access the bracket bolts. Unfortunately the wrenches I had on hand during the first attempt didn't have enough travel to actually remove the bolts. I managed to pick up some ratcheting hand wrenches on sale just the other day, so those ought to help with removing the bracket bolts when I can get back to the task at hand.

I personally don't trust Dorman parts, though. I bought a pair of Dorman axles and a window regulator for my Mercury Marauder, and they all failed (the axles within 9 months, the regulator 2 years). In fact, the window regulator is in worse shape than the one it replaced. I won't be buying their parts again.

Jerry98

Buick Ownership
Buick
The Dorman window regulator and motor come with a lifetime warranty at Advanced Auto, I put two on a couple years ago and both are still going strong. I kept all the receipts just in case though. The Dorman sway bar is definitely made better then the original. Solid steel vs. a hollow rod. Not sure how one of those can break as solid and heavy as they are. The original was very poorly designed. I havnt any experience with the axels though.

ledzilla

Buick Ownership
2001 Century Custom
The axles were ordered through Summit Racing, and drop shipped directly from Dorman. They provided a warranty exchange so that was nice, and the replacements have been holding together without premature wear. But I'm still ill at ease with them in the car. And I can't remember from whom I purchased the regulator. Even if I kept the receipt, I moved about a year later and a lot of stuff disappeared. But these products have left a bad taste in my mouth, and even if there's plenty of warranty available, I don't feel I can trust their quality.

Ian02Century

Burlington, Ontario
Buick Ownership
2002 Century
Did mine today, and did front pads and rotors too. Canadian pricing on all that was $270 after tax but with trades pricing at the local NAPA. Few things I noticed doing mine. Far easier to put it through from the passenger side (could just be me), and I had to remove my tie rods to allow it to get into place. Worst part was getting the brackets off the subframe, just not much room to turn a wrench. Did manage to get a socket on there eventually which helped.

I noticed the difference right away. Heck, even removing the jacks from under the lower control arm I noticed how much less it went down than before I swapped them.

g_450920

The left side is also pretty badly rusted, and almost broken off. I'm guessing a repair wouldn't be cheap? Does anybody know how much this might cost if somebody even attempted to fix it?
About $578.00 including parts

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.