Anticipating my new Encore-GX

grandpapa-g

Buick Ownership
Encore-GX
In a week I will take possession of my new ride - a 2020 Encore-GX, select with advanced tech, Burnished bronze with beige interior. The colour was a compromise, especially the beige interior but I have already bought a supply of Scotchgard auto in preparation. I wanted to avoid red, black, white or grey exteriors and was prepared to accept any other choice of colour. In Canada the new Encore first arrived in showrooms in March but I had a good first look at the car in January at the Montreal auto show. My lease on my 2016 Sonata was up in June and after the Montreal show I had pretty well decided that I would probably decide between the new 2020 Sonata or the GX. Both arrived in local dealerships in March and my wife and I test drove both vehicles before the covid-19 shutdown. We both liked both choices but as we had accumulated a lot of GM visa points the scales were tipped towards the GX. The GX I test-drove impressed me with its handling. It felt well-planted and stable on the road, almost like a sedan. in addition it was easier to get in and out of without needing to climb into, something that was becoming an issue with our aging bodies. I will try to post an update in a couple of weeks.

Outtolearn88

Buick Ownership
Encore
Welcome and I hope you love your new GX. Personally I don't like the look or maybe I'd get used to it. At least you won't have to worry about putting dents in it, it comes with the doors pre-dented.
Not a very nice thing to say.... 😯
Can understand you don't like it ....
But that's a personal choice so leave it at that Thank you.

Outtolearn88

Buick Ownership
Encore
In a week I will take possession of my new ride - a 2020 Encore-GX, select with advanced tech, Burnished bronze with beige interior. The colour was a compromise, especially the beige interior but I have already bought a supply of Scotchgard auto in preparation. I wanted to avoid red, black, white or grey exteriors and was prepared to accept any other choice of colour. In Canada the new Encore first arrived in showrooms in March but I had a good first look at the car in January at the Montreal auto show. My lease on my 2016 Sonata was up in June and after the Montreal show I had pretty well decided that I would probably decide between the new 2020 Sonata or the GX. Both arrived in local dealerships in March and my wife and I test drove both vehicles before the covid-19 shutdown. We both liked both choices but as we had accumulated a lot of GM visa points the scales were tipped towards the GX. The GX I test-drove impressed me with its handling. It felt well-planted and stable on the road, almost like a sedan. in addition it was easier to get in and out of without needing to climb into, something that was becoming an issue with our aging bodies. I will try to post an update in a couple of weeks.
Can't wait to see some pictures of your new ride 😉
You in Montreal Right ?
Can I ask what kind of deal did you get ?
With all that's going on right now...

Stay Positive and Safe 🌈
Thanks for sharing

grandpapa-g

Buick Ownership
Encore-GX
Can't wait to see some pictures of your new ride 😉
You in Montreal Right ?
Can I ask what kind of deal did you get ?
With all that's going on right now...

Stay Positive and Safe 🌈
Thanks for sharing
Actually I'm in Ottawa but with a son and grandchildren in Montreal I normally visit often (at least up until recently). I was able to get a reduction of 1k plus apply 6k in GM points with 0% financing on the rest. With the economy in turmoil I was afraid the GM visa point program would soon end like the earlier program.

Outtolearn88

Buick Ownership
Encore
Actually I'm in Ottawa but with a son and grandchildren in Montreal I normally visit often (at least up until recently). I was able to get a reduction of 1k plus apply 6k in GM points with 0% financing on the rest. With the economy in turmoil I was afraid the GM visa point program would soon end like the earlier program.
Nice that a good amount in GM points 👍
Let us know when you get driving.

Thanks for sharing 🌈

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia GS
You'll have to advise the rest of us on how the 'Alexa Built-In' works--like the software version number, IF you have an Amazon account, does it play nice with it; if not, what does it do (or not do)...

grandpapa-g

Buick Ownership
Encore-GX
We have now had our GX for 24 hours and my wife and I agree it has exceeded our expectations. Altho it does not provide as much fun driving on the back roads as my previous Buick (2011 regal turbo) it performed well on some pretty miserable conditions - the local roads are in need of repair as the regular maintenance has been almost nonexistent lately thanks to covid-19 priorities. The ride was a bit harsh as I expected from an SUV but handling responsive and stable. I was not used to the stop start tech at intersections and I took a while to get used to starting smoothly - I realize it can be turned off easily but I think i will keep it engaged for now (I may change my mind in winter). I was anticipating a significant learning curve to get used to all the technology but so far it has gone smoothly and most of the controls are intuitive and accessible. The background road noise is noticeable but less than what I remember from my test drives, 6 weeks ago but the dealer was able to find a model that had all the tech without a panoramic sun roof as I had requested.

grandpapa-g

Buick Ownership
Encore-GX
You'll have to advise the rest of us on how the 'Alexa Built-In' works--like the software version number, IF you have an Amazon account, does it play nice with it; if not, what does it do (or not do)...
I do have an Amazon account but do not see any alexa info in the manual. It may not be available in Canada.

Bagdafish

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So...Buick made a larger and heavier vehicle to compete with the already flooded market of SUV's...and cutback on the horse power by sticking a 3 cylinder sewing machine engine under the hood...for power?? If the GX makes it to 50,000 miles without an engine failure, I'll be surprised. Like many other Buick fans (I own a 2016 Encore - runs like a champ), I will soon be in the market to replace a minivan for a SUV but after hearing that Buick stuck 3 ponies under the hood, I didn't need to look at the GX any further,

I love my Encore - don't care where the darn thing was made - it has been an amazing car better than any Honda or Toyota I owned. The GX on the other hand, is going to have issues...

Good luck Buick...you're going to need it!! A 3-cylinder engine?? Now that's jus' being CHEAP!!!!

Last edited:

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
The 1.4L four-cylinder (LUJ) in the original Encore makes 138 hp and 148 lbs-ft torque. The up-level 1.4L (LE2) engine offered in 2016 made 153 hp and 177 lbs-ft.

The 1.2L three-cylinder in the Encore GX makes 137 hp and 162 lbs-ft. The 1.3L makes 155 hp and 174 lbs-ft. The extra twist on these engines should more than compensate for the GX's modest weight gain and slightly larger size.

SR1945

Buick Ownership
2020 Encore GX Sport Essence
I got the essence version, gray metal exterior and beige interior, with the 1.3 L 155 hp engine and I’m quite happy with it. Yes it’s small, but it’s Peppy, even more so then my older 2015 encore with the 1.4. Perhaps those that rant against the 1.3 L engine should at least test drive one before they mouth off against it.

I also had the Buick EnVision model, both coming with of course the back up camera that was dismal at best, and this new encore GX has a very colorful and bright screen that I’m very happy with, along with all those sensors.

Seabee

Buick Ownership
2020 Encore Select
I like that bronze, here in Beaverton Oregon everything vehicle is white, black or sliver so it seems. My GX is Summit White.
Have floor liners ordered. I can't find side window vent shades.

G-435330

j'ai un encore 2014 et un gx 2020. le gx supérieur en tout point même avec le 3 cylindres

Get your turbo buick badge right here!