antifreeze disappearing from over flow bottle and radiator no visible leaks 2009 lacrosse?

jbose211

Buick Ownership
lacrosse
I wonder if it is the heater core leaking how common is that sucks because winter is coming now its like i have a major problem I hope i did not buy a lemon seems like many problems appearing its almost like the people traded it in because they new of all of these problems and did not want to fix any of it.

They more then likely traded it in trying to get the most out of it then it was resold.

If it is the heater core how hard of a job is this? i do not see any hoses under the hood leaking.
Seems like since i topped off the fluid put some in the overflow up to its level now its leaking somehow when i bought the car 3 months ago the radiator was almost full to the top obviously now i am using some heat as it is getting cold

Smith1000

Buick Ownership
Buick
Can you smell coolant inside the car? I would suspect the intake manifold gasket if there is no visible leak; however, this page indicates most LaCrosse coolant leaks are from hoses in the engine compartment.

jbose211

Buick Ownership
lacrosse
i do not know midas did some work on the front pipe they installed the front flex pipe did not inform me of anything leakingi almost think i can smell it .

Its like when i topped it off it went down which sounds weird. when i had check it 2 months ago it was almost at the top of the radiator cap now all of the sudden it went down seems weird.

Those videos never help they always show random cars you can never go by car kiosk ever and they do not show detailed info just short basic clips your motor will overheat before you learn anything.

Also never ever use snake oil in a coolant system you will damage the car completely or clogg the thermostat and other parts that site seems to always claim use of stop leak never ever use that stuff fix the problem correctly never band aid

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
3 ways to find a leak. 1. Put the vehicle on level ground with cardboard underneath, make sure the coolant levels are full, start and idle at operating temperature 5 minutes, shut off and look for leaks on the cardboard. 2. Coolant dye and UV light. 3. Pressure test.

Besides checking all coolant hoses, connections including overflow, radiator and cap, system flow paths matting surfaces and heater core / area.

When checking the level check the radiator when cold as overflow tanks have been known to have cracks.

jbose211

Buick Ownership
lacrosse
3 ways to find a leak. 1. Put the vehicle on level ground with cardboard underneath, make sure the coolant levels are full, start and idle at operating temperature 5 minutes, shut off and look for leaks on the cardboard. 2. Coolant dye and UV light. 3. Pressure test.

Besides checking all coolant hoses, connections including overflow, radiator and cap, system flow paths matting surfaces and heater core / area.

When checking the level check the radiator when cold as overflow tanks have been known to have cracks.

do you think it is possible that the overflow bottle is leaking and sucking coolant out of the radiator some how i mean its up higher then the radiator could it still back flow.

What is weird i topped it off yesterday the radiator and the overflow bottle and the level in the overflow bottle seems the same after one day.

I am not sure if the car has to get up to a certain temp to maybe leak somewhere . i suppose ill know if after a week the bottle goes down.

Thanks for the info some of what you said is useful i just do not see anything wet right now does not seem wet around any hoses.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Coolant leaks like elbows, intake manifold upper and lower, water pump, hvac, etc can't be always seen unless looking for them. So if it's not a noticeable leak start at the overflow tank and work through the system as it must be going some place and if it's not external then it's internal.

It's not loosing coolant it's putting it somewhere lol.

pernick

Buick Newbie
Central NJ
Buick Ownership
1999 LeSabre Limited & 2000 LeSabre Custom
I have a 1999 Buick LeSabre with the 3800 V6 engine. I had issues with vanishing coolant that my experienced mechanic could not figure out. I ended up being stuck in the mountains one day for what turned out to be a hydrolock condition, in which the lower intake manifold failed catastrophically and coolant flooded the cylinders. I decided to replace the engine with an allegedly low mileage 3800. Within months I noticed engine coolant vanishing, again, without a trace. By then, I was aware of the issue of breakdown of the cheap, plastic LIM gaskets GM put in those engines. I replaced both upper & lower (with aluminum) gaskets and the upper plenum for good measure and my replacement engine has had no issues whatsover. I would hope a 2009 engine would not be prone to the same internal gasket breakdowns but I trust GM as far as I could throw it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Series 2 VS series 3 have different issues excluding the plastic elbows as possible leak points.

jbose211

Buick Ownership
lacrosse
ya been 3 days and i do not notice anything yet the level still seems normal in the bottle maybe my cap was some what loose no idea seems odd but i am watching it.

one guy used these tabs in his caddy said he has not had a problem since however that seems like a snake oil trick coming from a guy who said never use stop leak he dident seem to have a problem with tabs.

I have checked the oil it looks normal pretty much full normal color do not see anything on the hoses wet. i might replace the plastic bottle at some point.

Guy at the dealer said the 3800 was one of the most dependable models in 2009 more so which gives me hope

jbose211

Buick Ownership
lacrosse
so just to update i ended up replacing the spark plugs and wires after doing so i noticed the motor running rough and something almost like spraying from the side of the car near the belt area and overflow bottle i could not tell where it was coming from the only thing i noticed is that the overflow bottle was low down near the bottom and when i removed the cap and checked the radiator it was full still wierd thing was there was smoke coming of the back of the motor and the exhaust when i touched a pipe which was kinda hot it seemed wet in some way.

I ended up checking firing order and after some switching around i got the car to to start and run correctly drove it to a store and back and did not notice any smoke coming from under the hood and the overflow bottle seemed fairly full.

Now i do not know if maybe when i moved the motor forward antifreeze somehow leaked out or got trapped in some area then pissed out during the first start up.

I am kinda confused. one thing i did notice was that the left side of the radiator passanger side at the top area where it has 2 round holes i noticed some orange inside and around them but still somewhat clueless as to what actually happen

Get your turbo buick badge right here!