Antifreeze smell

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
Hello I have not been the first to ask this question but could it be the antifreeze smell coming from a leak in the intake manifold/gasket. I couldnt find any leaks anywhere else, not the floorboard, around the radiator, pipes.
2011 buick lacrosse 3.6

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Not good. Only turbocharged car I ever owned kept blowing head gaskets, antifreeze would leak into a cylinder and burn. Had the sweet smell exhaust and radiator would pressurize with exhaust also. That cylinder was burning way clean with the water addition. Reminds me of water injection system, for another post someplace (yup, it works but not practical).

Cure was to install copper head gasket w/hi-temp gasket spray. Those are used for racing applications and will actually increase compression ration as thinner that conventional head gaskets. Also retorqued head bolts higher than specs called for.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Here's one posting that will have options to review. There isn't one answer for this as it may appear on multiple area's, the only way is to check and eliminate them one by one or have a service shop do an inspection. Check out the forum and you will see that a number of these leaks are listed and repaired, but not on the same location.

2012 Buick LaCrosse - DexCool Coolant Leak

Thread starter #4
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
Here's one posting that will have options to review. There isn't one answer for this as it may appear on multiple area's, the only way is to check and eliminate them one by one or have a service shop do an inspection. Check out the forum and you will see that a number of these leaks are listed and repaired, but not on the same location.

2012 Buick LaCrosse - DexCool Coolant Leak

Thanks I will check for the leak on the passenger side. But the smell is strong on the driver side.

Thread starter #5
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
Not good. Only turbocharged car I ever owned kept blowing head gaskets, antifreeze would leak into a cylinder and burn. Had the sweet smell exhaust and radiator would pressurize with exhaust also. That cylinder was burning way clean with the water addition. Reminds me of water injection system, for another post someplace (yup, it works but not practical).

Cure was to install copper head gasket w/hi-temp gasket spray. Those are used for racing applications and will actually increase compression ration as thinner that conventional head gaskets. Also retorqued head bolts higher than specs called for.

Yeah not practical but good to know.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.