Any holes in the firewall??

antop20000

Buick Ownership
lesabre
Hey I currently have a 1999 Buick Lesabre and I am trying to run a power line through the interior and was wondering if anyone knew if there were preexisting holes in the firewall that I can run the wire through because the only way I have been told is to drill a hole in the firewall and place a rubber grommet.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Depending on wire size checking the area where the vacuum hoses pass through the firewall is one option, the other would be around the steering column. If it's heavy gage for a amp then you may need to make a new hole with rubber grommets.
9706194H09-015.png

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
I'm sure there are existing locations where other things pass through the fire wall. You should be able to spot those locations on the engine side.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
one way to find out is to make some!
Lol. dont be dumb about it tho. If you want an existing passthrough with a grommet, not likely to be an extra one. if you want to make one, you want to make sure to support the pass-through cable well and also protect from the sheet metal from cutting into over time. brackets and grommets. if you go under the car you can avoid the NVH issue but then you need to protect the cable from the ground and open road impacts etc

antop20000

Buick Ownership
lesabre
Thank you for all the responses, I think I may have to drill through the firewall because I was told not to put it through the current grommets that are there due to some hazards. Any suggestions for the process on drilling the hole?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The drivers side may have the least amount of obstacles, again no reference on wire gage size so that something to consider on location.
9706194H09-017.png 9910264H10-022.png

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Thank you for all the responses, I think I may have to drill through the firewall because I was told not to put it through the current grommets that are there due to some hazards. Any suggestions for the process on drilling the hole?
I don't know who told you that, but in my humble opinion, it is more risky to drill through the firewall. I have 2 copper lines running through a factory opening, in my 1998 Riviera, one for my oil pressure, the other for my vacuum/boost gauge. Been that way since 2005.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
OP what are you trying to do or connect? Battery size cable or speaker size wire gage makes a big difference!

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
I don't know who told you that, but in my humble opinion, it is more risky to drill through the firewall. I have 2 copper lines running through a factory opening, in my 1998 Riviera, one for my oil pressure, the other for my vacuum/boost gauge. Been that way since 2005.
Current grommets needs clarification.
There are inevitably passthrough holes that are sealed from factory either for assembly purposes, options/RPO differences, or who knows why. Those would be sealed with plugs that are usually flat but push in like a grommet to seal the opening.

Then, existing grommets may exist, where wires, vacuum lines, or cables like for the throttle or shifter cable, etc, pass through, and those may be large enough to fit an amp wire or may not, depends on the circumstance. If you use an existing one, I would say you are best using an elastomeric kind of sealant to seal the inevtiably gaps or voids in making it work through one existing. Importantly, make sure the wire is supported and secured on both sides so it doesnt rub the other stuff or pull the wiring or grommet out of the opening.

If you CANNOT locate an existing one by pulling your carpet or looking on the engine side... you shouldnt be doing this yourself.... if you truly cant because they dont exist(I dont trust that) Then making them is your way forward. But if you arent comfortable making that securely or confidently, then you should seek help from an audio shop who does that for a living would be my recommendation. they cant do work that is super shoddy or it would easily trace to them for liability so they have to at least know what they are doing somewhat. Confidence!!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners