• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Anybody install a Catch Can?

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
BMW created a $ervice opportunity out of this phenomenon with the “walnut blast”. I had it done on my 135i (w/n54) - but had my independent BMW tech do it to save money vs the stealership (and candidly I just trust him a lot more). As a bonus, he installed a Burger catch can that I bought (it was offered dirt cheap to me as part of a bigger parts buy) when he was buttoning it back up. I’m really not sure what it’s worth, but after seeing the intake build up before the blast, it definitely seemed like a reasonable preventative maintenance option.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Do I have the first TourX in the USA equipped with a Catch Can?

It was a tough application, as getting the fitting installed for the internal PCV valve was extremely difficult.

P.S. do not drop a tool when working in the engine bay. (I managed to recover it.)

Notice in video how they glance over the CCV & PCV connector removal parts.
Gave up after a good hour trying to pop the internal tamper resistant tabs on the CCV connectors , to allow room the screw in the port fitting for the internal PCV valve.
If you keep at it you can stretch the CCV line enough to get the port fitting installed.

As the port fitting looks like it restricts flow, before installing the can, i ran the car for a day with the port fitting installed and a jumper line, just to make sure car ran fine, no CEL etc,

According to Mishimoto, most of the oil blow-by comes from the PCV valve, not the CCV system. That’s a good thing as I have no intention on mounting a second can.

Catch Can Install?

As I was able to scrounge up parts on E-Bay, I’m only out $90 and a few hours of my time.

Mishimoto will not sell the PN 1429 Port fitting separately, or at least that is what the sales flunky told me.

I ended up buying a Made in Chinese knock off Mishimoto 3 port can so I could use the left side inlet port for cleaner piping run.
The actual Mishimoto Can is a little nicer machined solid unit, so I used the bottom section from the Mishimoto can.

I’ll Install the extra can on our f-150 one of these days.

2.0L LGT Turbo Camaro Baffled Oil Catch Can System Installation Guide by Mishimoto.

Don’t Worry Baby – Catch Can R&D, Part 3: Drilling In and Striking Oil

Attachments

Last edited:

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Do I have the first TourX in the USA equipped with a Catch Can?

It was a tough application, as getting the fitting installed for the internal PCV valve was extremely difficult.

P.S. do not drop a tool when working in the engine bay. (I managed to recover it.)

Notice in video how they glance over the CCV & PCV connector removal parts.
Gave up after a good hour trying to pop the internal tamper resistant tabs on the CCV connectors , to allow room the screw in the port fitting for the internal PCV valve.
If you keep at it you can stretch the CCV line enough to get the port fitting installed.

As the port fitting looks like it restricts flow, before installing the can, i ran the car for a day with the port fitting installed and a jumper line, just to make sure car ran fine, no CEL etc,

According to Mishimoto, most of the oil blow-by comes from the PCV valve, not the CCV system. That’s a good thing as I have no intention on mounting a second can.

As I was able to scrounge up parts on E-Bay, I’m only out $90 and a few hours of my time.

Mishimoto will not sell the PN 1429 Port fitting separately, or at least that is what the sales flunky told me.

I ended up buying a Made in Chinese knock off Mishimoto 3 port can so I could use the left side inlet port for cleaner piping run.
The actual Mishimoto Can is a little nicer machined solid unit, so I used the bottom section from the Mishimoto can.

I’ll Install the extra can on our f-150 one of these days.

2.0L LGT Turbo Camaro Baffled Oil Catch Can System Installation Guide by Mishimoto.

Don’t Worry Baby – Catch Can R&D, Part 3: Drilling In and Striking Oil

No doubt the red plumbing adds a couple hp :p - nice work!!

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
No doubt the red plumbing adds a couple hp :p - nice work!!
That red hose no doubt totally voids the entire car warranty
Just preliminary work for the Trifecta Tune.
Doing this convinced me I do not want a bigger Turbo.

P.S.
I got your 13" wiper. Cool they include the adapter. Your the man!

Last edited:

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Checked catch can contents after +200 miles.

I opened the drain on bottom of can and caught what came out on a sheet of paper tower.
The good news is that the can is working and I caught stuff, the good news also it was only maybe 3/4 of an ounce.
The stuff was a foul smelling but surprisingly clear mix of combustion by product, water and oil.
It was not the sludgy coffee like latte goo that is in the little PCV oil separator on my 03 Cobra.
I figure it is a good idea to drain the can ever other fill up.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Where is the water tank for the water injection system? Increase your mpg by 100% <grin>. All the rage about 10 or 15 years ago.
😜😝🤓

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Methanol /water injection is a useful way of decreasing knock sensitivity, cooling the intake charge, and adding a bit of extra fuel & oxygen to the burn. In most cases it gives some hp gains, but some engine benefit more than others.
MPG gains would be minimal.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Sort of looks like my coffee cup at work. I leave it that way so no one uses my cup.
500 miles or so of collected goo fro the PVC side catch can on my 2.0L LTG motor.

I’ll probably open & wipe out the can every oil change, and just open the drain valve every 1500-2000 miles.

In normal use most of the blow by goes through the PVC side, the upstream of Turbo CCV vent does not have a catch can, as this only see blow-by under boost conditions. Under boost you get more blow-by than thru the PVC, but the % of time under boost is like 1 or 2% of engine operation time. (Unless you are LJ)

Attachments

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Question. If Catch Cans and Water Injection is so good, not only on our Buick’s but all cars, why doesn’t ANY manufacture install them on their cars, OEM, right from the factory? It’s not because of any added cost!

Tell me something I can believe, otherwise it’s all “Mouse Milk”
(Snake Oil).

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Question. If Catch Cans and Water Injection is so good, not only on our Buick’s but all cars, why doesn’t ANY manufacture install them on their cars, OEM, right from the factory? It’s not because of any added cost!

Tell me something I can believe, otherwise it’s all “Mouse Milk”
(Snake Oil).
Google is a wonderful thing.
If I'm so smart why did I not invest when Google (IPO) took place, on August 19, 2004?

Ok, here from a quick search.

The BMW M4 GTS’s Water Injection System Will Reach Other Cars By 2019
Bosch Water Injection | News, Components, Availability | Digital Trends

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/638fvo All about Subaru's Original Air/Oil Separator & Why You Need One
09 - 15 Volkswagen AUDI PCV Oil Water Separator 06h103495 OEM (a23) for sale online | eBay

It’s not only because of any added cost, in addition only the weird abnormal obsessive compulsive people would bother maintaining another 'system"

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Google is a wonderful thing.
If I'm so smart why did I not invest when Google (IPO) took place, on August 19, 2004?

Ok, here from a quick search.

The BMW M4 GTS’s Water Injection System Will Reach Other Cars By 2019
Bosch Water Injection | News, Components, Availability | Digital Trends

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/638fvo All about Subaru's Original Air/Oil Separator & Why You Need One
09 - 15 Volkswagen AUDI PCV Oil Water Separator 06h103495 OEM (a23) for sale online | eBay

It’s not only because of any added cost, in addition only the weird abnormal obsessive compulsive people would bother maintaining another 'system"
If I’m reading it on thr Internet,
It must be true.
😱🤪😳

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I watched a documentary about the Grand National. And Buick engineers were thinking about adding water/methanol injection, but didn't go through it due to additional maintenance and how some people would either forget or be to lazy to fill up the methanol reservoir.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
One of the guys in our local Autocross group has a race-only Neon (not street legal). Every time he'd take off from the start line, he'd blow a cloud of oil smoke. One time the smoke was thick enough to trip the optical start/finish timer. I happened to look under his hood and said "how often do you empty your oil catch can?" "My what??" No idea it was there. He dumped it before the next event - no more smoke.

So yeah - people won't maintain things, even greyhair racers.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It would take a app or a drive through window for today's drivers as some don't check the oil until it's time to get it changed at 10K LOL.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
It would take a app or a drive through window for today's drivers as some don't check the oil until it's time to get it changed at 10K LOL.
I'm more or less guilty. Even my oil burner Subaru doesn't get oil till the low oil indicator comes on at about 1-1/2 Quarts low. About the only time I check the Cobra's oil is when I feel just the need to stare at the motor for inspiration. I put Cobra back on the road 2 weeks ago (+500 miles). Finally checked oil today and it was right on the full mark, just like 3,000 miles ago, and still clean & good till end of the driving season. It's catch can had about an once of fuel smelling water. That motor sure has very little blow-by for an engine with 16-17 psi of boost.
Stepson's truck and wife's Sienna goes 8-12K, and I don't check much once I determined they don't suck oil.
Motors today should last 300k if assembled and engineered correctly. (I'm not into engines with timing belts.)
TourX Motor seems good, I've been checking fluids when I add windshield washer fluid.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Motors today should last 300k if assembled and engineered correctly. (I'm not into engines with timing belts.)
TourX Motor seems good, I've been checking fluids when I add windshield washer fluid.
This. Even sticking to the OCI or OLM you’ll be fine. I’ve been doing this for 300k in my TDI running 24 PSI. I typically add half a quart between every 10k oil change.

This is my first chain driven engine. I’m used to timing belt change intervals. VW/Audi has a horrible track record with timing chains but the LTG seems to have a reliable design to get me to 300k.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I would like to see pictures of engine tear downs and see what the ports/valves look like on two identical 75,000 mile LTG motors, one with a maintained catch can system and one without, with identical driving patterns and OCI's.

If there's a noticeable difference at 75k then I'll be convinced. I typically put 150k on my vehicles in 5 years. (My 2003 Aztek has 277,000 miles, my 2014 Mazda6 145,000 - still have them both).

I do get the impression that under normal driving) the stuff that is being collected is just going to get burned off exactly as it's designed to do. However, I do see a potential problem of getting on the turbo boost hard while the engine is still cold and these vapors condensing, sticking, carbonizing, etc.

There's a scary Camaro LTG teardown that shows two cracked pistons at 30k miles, I believe. That concerns me more than blow-by right now.

Pedal Commander