Anybody install a Catch Can?

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
There's a scary Camaro LTG teardown that shows two cracked pistons at 30k miles, I believe. That concerns me more than blow-by right now.
I Think I watched that video series. It was a tuned car, and if I recall they questioned the tune. I don't remember if it had turbo upgrade?

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
For the dude who compared his car to something from mid last century to "prove" catch cans aren't necessary on anything, I'd like to show you how much oil is in the catch can of my LFX DI engine. Before I retired from GM, I processed countless warranty claims for various DI engines which had serious issues with buildup on the valves. Not having fuel flowing through the intake manifold like non-DI engines means that ANY oil vapors introduced to the intake tract will deposit on the valves. When I worked for a German manufacturer, it was a big enough deal that they were experimenting with some exotic valve coatings to try to eliminate the buildup. I had to tell many high-mile DI engine owners that all we could suggest was a labor intensive carbon removal procedure at customer expense. It cannot be said that no engine benefits from a can. It cannot be said that a can is detrimental to a DI engine when properly installed. It CAN be said that an inherent design flaw in DI engines is the reintroduction of oil vapor into the intake tract, due to the backs of the hot valves cooking that oil residue onto their surface. Anyone who has professional experience with these engines will have witnessed this to varying degrees. I've helped clean the valves on a 3.6 for a friend who couldn't afford it and I was shocked at the amount of debris- but I also know that she always changed the oil on time per OCI guidelines. My own LFX car is now cleaner at 30K hard miles than it was at 5K miles when I scoped the intake and immediately installed a catch can. Does the LTG or any other DI car need or at least benefit from a can? Someone who has gone that route on an LTG and has oil in their can could provide some insight. The only LTG's I've personally scoped had some buildup, but not nearly as much as the VAG DI's and the LFX.
So- who has installed one and how much effluence has been accumulated in their can?

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
For the dude who compared his car to something from mid last century to "prove" catch cans aren't necessary on anything, I'd like to show you how much oil is in the catch can of my LFX DI engine. Before I retired from GM, I processed countless warranty claims for various DI engines which had serious issues with buildup on the valves. Not having fuel flowing through the intake manifold like non-DI engines means that ANY oil vapors introduced to the intake tract will deposit on the valves. When I worked for a German manufacturer, it was a big enough deal that they were experimenting with some exotic valve coatings to try to eliminate the buildup. I had to tell many high-mile DI engine owners that all we could suggest was a labor intensive carbon removal procedure at customer expense. It cannot be said that no engine benefits from a can. It cannot be said that a can is detrimental to a DI engine when properly installed. It CAN be said that an inherent design flaw in DI engines is the reintroduction of oil vapor into the intake tract, due to the backs of the hot valves cooking that oil residue onto their surface. Anyone who has professional experience with these engines will have witnessed this to varying degrees. I've helped clean the valves on a 3.6 for a friend who couldn't afford it and I was shocked at the amount of debris- but I also know that she always changed the oil on time per OCI guidelines. My own LFX car is now cleaner at 30K hard miles than it was at 5K miles when I scoped the intake and immediately installed a catch can. Does the LTG or any other DI car need or at least benefit from a can? Someone who has gone that route on an LTG and has oil in their can could provide some insight. The only LTG's I've personally scoped had some buildup, but not nearly as much as the VAG DI's and the LFX.
So- who has installed one and how much effluence has been accumulated in their can?
I got the EZ2 catch cans but have not installed them yet........I guess I know what I am doing this weekend!

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
Question. If Catch Cans and Water Injection is so good, not only on our Buick’s but all cars, why doesn’t ANY manufacture install them on their cars, OEM, right from the factory? It’s not because of any added cost!

Tell me something I can believe, otherwise it’s all “Mouse Milk”
(Snake Oil).
simple....revenue! once a car is designed they will go through and ensure that everything barely meets the standard, ie as cheap as possible!....

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
clearly you have no idea how a car comes to market! but you are entitled to your opinion!
Sorry. Did not mean to be a wise a$$. 😎😍

Got to thinking about catch cans and now I remember that my 1984 GoldWing GL1200 (or was it my 1980 GoldWing GL1100) had a Catch Can. Yes, liquid would form in the container, more so in cold, damp or rainy weather. . Got tired of disconnecting the hoses to dump, so I did the NOT politically correct thing. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the can and let any liquid drip out If I remember correctly, I think I also added a small filter at the opening in case any air got sucked up onto can. Worked like a charm.

Does not mean I’m going to add a Catch Can to my car. 😇

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
See my photo on Post #29.
I'm sure a catch can is not needed to get the engine well past the warranty period or lease, but I plan on keeping my TourX for a very long time. I have a small catch can on my 03 Cobra, bought back in 2002, that I plan on keeping also.