• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Anybody towing with their Encore?

amharney

Buick Ownership
Buick
First of all, yes, I know the owners manual says "no towing". :sad:

I installed a tow hitch on my 2013 Encore so I could use a hitch mounted bike rack. Ill be moving soon and thought about renting a small u-haul trailer. The entire drive is relatively flat - no mountains involved. I was wondering if anyone has experience towing a small trailer like a 4x8 u-haul (1600lbs limit)?

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"
US specifications tend to be very conservative when it comes to towing. However, you do understand that all towing is at your own risk any damage would be outside of the warranty.

That said, one thing can do is to look at the specs for the same vehicle in other markets and make your own decision. In this case, the best comparative vehicle is the Vauxhall Mokka.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall-range/cars/mokka/features-and-specifications/dimensions.html?intcid=5_4_mokka_more

Click on Weight and Load, and it seems to me like it is saying 1200 pounds or 500 kg (which is less at 1102 pounds).

With that, I would not tow 1600 pounds at all. Your mileage and choices may vary.

amharney

Buick Ownership
Buick
Great answer - I never thought about looking at the Mokka specs. Agreed - keep the load light. I don't plan to haul much anyway- it's just there's not much room in the Encore when it comes to moving all the small misc personal items you end up with after the movers come. I'm sure I can get away with a small trailer rental and just be careful.
US specifications tend to be very conservative when it comes to towing. However, you do understand that all towing is at your own risk any damage would be outside of the warranty.

That said, one thing can do is to look at the specs for the same vehicle in other markets and make your own decision. In this case, the best comparative vehicle is the Vauxhall Mokka.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall-range/cars/mokka/features-and-specifications/dimensions.html?intcid=5_4_mokka_more

Click on Weight and Load, and it seems to me like it is saying 1200 pounds or 500 kg (which is less at 1102 pounds).

With that, I would not tow 1600 pounds at all. Your mileage and choices may vary.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
I've towed with mine. Curt hitch with wiring.

1600 pounds and flat with highway? I say........... no trouble at all.

It's not a Ram 1500 with 5.7 liters, so, easy on the gas, and double, if not triple your stopping distance.

1600 lb doesn't mean 1600 lbs on the tongue. You'll only "feel" the weight on acceleration and stopping.

amharney

Buick Ownership
Buick
That's good info Dave- thanks! I looked up the Mokka specs again and realized it's two numbers and on a grade : braked and unbraked 2600lbs/1100lbs on a 12% grade. Good grief - I bet they need a full length runway to stop under those conditions.
Obviously I'm not renting a braked trailer from Uhaul - so I'll keep it towards the 1100 lbs low end and just be careful to give myself plenty of braking distance as that apparently is the main limitation. Now I feel better about doing this- thanks all!!
I've towed with mine. Curt hitch with wiring.

1600 pounds and flat with highway? I say........... no trouble at all.

It's not a Ram 1500 with 5.7 liters, so, easy on the gas, and double, if not triple your stopping distance.

1600 lb doesn't mean 1600 lbs on the tongue. You'll only "feel" the weight on acceleration and stopping.

LazerBlue

Tampa, FL
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal Turbo Premium 1
You might want to check with uhaul to set I'd they Errol even rent you a trailer. A lot of times if their computer days a vehicle is not rated for towing, they won't rent a trailer because of a liability issue. I had trouble with that about 11 years ago.

G-656569

I installed a tow hitch on my 2013 Encore so I could use a hitch mounted bike rack. Ill be moving soon and thought about renting a small u-haul trailer. The entire drive is relatively flat - no mountains involved. I was wondering if anyone has experience towing a small trailer like a 4x8 u-haul (1600lbs limit)?

Joester

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
We just got our 2016 Encore (literally) and I intend to install a tow hitch.

I need to look, but it's entirely possible the "no towing" is in reference to towing the Encore, not towing WITH the Encore. Many vehicle include that as a precaution. Manufacturers run the transmission pump on the engine side of the transmission. That means if you tow the vehicle, the oil pump is not moving oil within the clutches and the result will be a dead transmission. You can install aftermarket pumps to allow towing, but that's a pretty vehicle specific list and I'm not sure (yet) if such a pump is available for the Encore. Being an RV owner, we will lilkely need to take the Ecnore with us when we travel. Of course the other option is to get a trailer and use that instead of flat towing with a tow bar.

But as far as towing with the Encore, the above information looks like good advice. I think mine was available with a towing package from Buick so I'm not too concerned for the light loads we would likely load ours with. I do know a guy who has a Suzuki SX4 that's about the same size as the Encore and he tows one of those tear drop style travel trailers with no issues. I would suggest adding extra oil and transmission coolers if your loads were to exceed 1500 pounds on a frequent or long term towing excursion. Also pay very close attention to the hitch manufacturers specifications.

-joester

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
The answer to this is simple, page 197 of the owners manual "General Towing Information The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer. "

As far as being towed, it can't be towed as a dinghy. Nor can the AWD model be towed on a dolly.

adamcar

Buick Ownership
Buick
Why the hell would anybody buy an Encore and expect to tow something with it? These are commuter run-about vehicles built to carry groceries and luggage.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Why the hell would anybody buy an Encore and expect to tow something with it? These are commuter run-about vehicles built to carry groceries and luggage.
Maybe they bought it never expecting to tow anything but life happens and now they do....

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
Maybe they bought it never expecting to tow anything but life happens and now they do....
The trouble is that engine, even with the 158 hp version, is only adequate for moving the vehicle. I can't imagine adding another 1200# plus cargo. Personally I'd avoid the stress on the car and rent a small truck.

G-449403

My trailer and solo skiff weigh a total of 500 lbs. That is why i would consider buying an encore. Common sense is needed when you tow with any vehicle.

G-985687

I tow a 2200 lb pop up camper with my 2.0litre 4 cylinder turbo Buick encore 2013 model

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
Mine has a turbo and I have had no issues and it's an ecotec

What does the turbo or being an Ecotec have to do with it? The 1.4 in the Encore has a turbo also, and all GM 4 cyl engines are Ecotecs. If you think you have a 2.0 someone took you for a ride. And if you want to tow a 2200# pop-up with your Encore that's your choice. Encores aren't recommended to tow with. The cooling system isn't designed for it, and neither is the suspension. Not to mention you could be cooking your transmission and not even know it. You say no issues, but what are the long term prospects of towing that much weight? Not good.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
I had another thought on this, even with the 153 HP version which we have, it's just adequate enough to get on the freeway. I can't image this thing trying to tow a 2200# trailer.

X E Ryder

Norcal
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore Essence, 1997 Buick Regal GS modded
If you insist on towing, check out page 22 of this brochure - it's about the best guidance I can offer other than just not doing it! This is the sister car's towing specs from the manufacturer.

https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/vauxhall/Home/brochure-library/cars/mokka-x/price-guide.pdf

Honestly, I'd be very concerned about stripping the hitch off the unibody in a hard stop, jack knifing, or wasting the transmission in a long hill climb. But if you took it real easy in flatter terrain, maybe.

Pedal Commander