• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Anyone has a timing chain problem?

bulkwarrior

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi, after some more research on the internet, it seems there're some people reporting timing chain on their 3.6L engines. This engine is shared by enclave, acadia and traverse. The most common reported problem is stretched timing chain. Does anyone here has this problem? It seems this problem develop after 40K miles. is this 3.6L engine an interference engine? If it's one of the interference engine, when the timing chain breaks the engine needs to be rebuilt and that will cost a lot of green bills. I've also heard that in order to replace the timing chain you have to lift the engine out of the car so it will cost a few thousand bucks.
Thanks for any info on that.

caddycruiser

It's not so much that the chain breaks, but there were some defectively built ones that stretched abnormally under use and will then cause odd issues.

These are covered by GM warranty, and haven't seemed to happen for a while now.

Flashnc

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I just got the dreaded P0008 code along with the P0017 code. Both involve the timing belt. I have a 2009 enclave with 79k miles. Is the timing belt repair covered under the power train warranty?

Detroit, USA
Flashnc,

I believe that the timing chain is typically covered under the Powertrain Warranty under normal circumstances. You would need to have the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealer in order to be sure that your concerns would be covered. Keep me posted and let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you.

Tricia, Buick Customer Service.

concernedbuickowner

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi

I just received the "Check Engine Light" with code P0017 on my 2010 Buick Lacrosse CX 3.0 V6. Unfortunately my power-train warranty is no longer valid. Is this a common problem with Buick engines? Do timing belts normally only last 70-80k miles before stretching?

txbarney

Central Texas
Buick Ownership
Buick
I don't have a problem but was told by one mechanic that it was a "common" problem. After some research it does not seem to be a "common" problem but if you do need to have it done, GM (and maybe others) sell as a kit the timing chain and all the sprockets at a retail price of around $900 plus labor.
Not sure that the 3.0 V6 in the Lacrosse is the same engine.
The 3.6 GM V6 has had some design changes since it first arrived around 2005 and it is used in all GM products.

chwjr09

Buick Newbie
Atlanta, GA
Buick Ownership
2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS
I have just received the dreaded P0008 Check Engine Light code. My 2010 Lacrosse CXS has 116k on it so it's out of warranty. How much is this to fix?

txbarney

Central Texas
Buick Ownership
Buick
I do not think this is a major problem, just something you never worried about if you had a Buick with the 3800 V6.
The engine first went into GM cars in 2004 so if there was a "teething" problem GM should have it fixed on new cars with the 3.6 V6
One mechanic claimed it happened more on cars that did not get regular oil changes. My 2011 Enclave is approaching 70K hope to get one or two more years out of it.

cottontoptexan

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
We just had the same thing happen, ours is a 2009 Buick Enclave, they will replace the timing chain and tensioners under an extended warranty program from Buick. In our case the same code came up as your experienced and with 3000 mile oil changes at Buick and attention to every detail our Buick is really hitting our pocket book. The cylinder head has to be replaced because the end to end play is to much for them to shim the camshaft which is giving us the cam sensor position fault. Our share of all of this after they pay for the stretched timing chain is 2800.00 We are paying for the new camshaft positon sensor and new oxygen sensor , cylinder head etc. No metal in engine, but learned yesterday they had to re-design the head on later models. We love the vehicle and have had zero problems in 7 years with the care and only 68,000 miles on it. The whole engine and transmission along with the front axles have to be dropped to replace the cam chain. The SUV is torn down now at Buick waiting on the cylinder head.

- - - Updated - - -

Read my posting below. Ok

- - - Updated - - -

I just got the dreaded P0008 code along with the P0017 code. Both involve the timing belt. I have a 2009 enclave with 79k miles. Is the timing belt repair covered under the power train warranty?
Timing chain, not a belt, very expensive, read my posting below. Can be other issues not just the timing chain , can be a bad cylinder head as well which mine is with excessive end play , which calls for a head replacement if out of spec for a shim kit.

donaldbj

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
My wife's 2008 Enclave with 80,000 miles started showing codes and slowed down so she took it in and they said her timing chain had stretched and the engine was full of sludge. It cost over $3,000 to replace the chain and we were told they also put in half ATF to help clean the engine. Less than 100m miles later the codes and slow down happened again. She took it back in and they replaced the oil filter and oil. Two weeks and about 500 miles it happened again and now we are being told they have to replace the engine at over $8,000. The trade in value in good condition is only $1,200 more. Anyone want to buy it for parts? It's unfortunate as she loves the vehicle and until this happened it worked great and she took care of it with 3,000 mile oil changes and all. If this was a known issue with 208 and 2009 Enclaves which it appears from all the blog postings and articles on the net, why didn't Buick issue a recall or a notice to replace the chain at 40,000?

txbarney

Central Texas
Buick Ownership
Buick
The car makers are not going to recall vehicles for issues that are safety items.....even if the engine sized it is unlikely that would be considered a safety item. They handle the ones in warranty....quietly and hope a problem does not get broadcast and affect the cars reputation.
Like most everyone here, it would be nice to have 100% coverage for lets say...100,000 miles.......but that would probably cause more people to keep their cars longer and that could also affect new car sales (why buy a new on when the old one has a 100K warranty) The car makers walk a tightrope....they don't intentionally build bad cars (too many people watching) but they don't want them to last forever.
Just this week I noticed a crack in the plastic trim around the drivers seat......pulled it off to fix it before it was really bad......turns out it was really bad, there are 3 mounting points with those metal spring clips, 2 mounts were broken off and that is probably why the part started to crack......the root problem is when you get in and out of the car, the seat bolster/side pushes out on that trim and that pressure is more than the plastic trim can take.

wme1212

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Interesting. My enclave in shop right now and dealer saying the engine will need to be rebuilt (and not covered by warranty bc car is 7 yrs old). Our mileage is under 100k though. Yes, it is $7k for the engine to be re-built plus an additional $1k to do the diagnostic. Sounds like design flaw. Unfortunately Buick not standing behind it. We were told too bad.

DanComu

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2010 Buick Lacrosse that has a great maintenance record yet at 89,000 miles, a stretched timing chain repair of $3000+. I also heard from our mechanic that he sees this in Buick’s.

pruner

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2010 with 106,000 miles. Check engine light came on and Buick Dealer verified the timing chain "jumped a tooth". Estimated cost is $2300-$3000. I am not happy with the Buick and GM did not correct the problem from 2009 model year. I will be calling GM tomorrow. My situation is a lost cause, but I am hoping enough people will report this problem that GM will consider a recall/extended warranty. Nice, comfortable ride, but quality is very poor on this vehicle. For the record, AC quit working at 90,000 miles.

Last edited:

txbarney

Central Texas
Buick Ownership
Buick
I just traded a 2011 with 78K on a new 2017. That was my second 3.6 V6. Had no problems with the engine in either. I do watch the oil and changes. Have been using 100% synthetic in all my cars just for the added protection.
Change the filters every 3K but go either 10K or 1 year to actually change the oil. This past year was a lower mileage year on the 2011, only put about 7,500 on it but changed the oil anyway.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
I have a 2010 Buick Lacrosse that has a great maintenance record yet at 89,000 miles, a stretched timing chain repair of $3000+. I also heard from our mechanic that he sees this in Buick’s.
This problem is not just a buick problem. It was a Early 3.6 DI engine problem. GM started with a synthetic blend oil that people were not changing at the correct intervals and because of the design of the DI motor the oil was not able to lube the timing chain. Creating the heating and stretching of the chain. Eventually GM went to Dexos oil witch is full synthetic. I had an 09 Traverse that was in the range of this common problem. I am a firm believer in Mobil 1 that i have been using in all of my car since 1984. I traded my Traverse with 77000 miles and never had a problem. So this DI motor with the right motor oil and changes with in 7000 miles should not have a problem.

stalo07

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
We paid $5000 to get the timing chain fixed on our 2010 Enclave when it was only 5 years old:(. It wasn't covered by warranty.

g_547643

Getting ready to take mine in. Full synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles by odometer, not by sticker. 90,060 miles. Codes are P0011, P0014, P0017 which are indicitive of the chain issue. At this mileage, there should not be an issue, especially with 5,000 mile intervals and full synthetic oil. Have contacted GM and have a case number started. Hoping for reduced labor cost, not necessarily a free repair.