• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Anyone has a timing chain problem?

IanMitch

Buick Ownership
1979 LeSabre, 2010 Enclave, 2018 TourX
Getting ready to take mine in. Full synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles by odometer, not by sticker. 90,060 miles. Codes are P0011, P0014, P0017 which are indicitive of the chain issue. At this mileage, there should not be an issue, especially with 5,000 mile intervals and full synthetic oil. Have contacted GM and have a case number started. Hoping for reduced labor cost, not necessarily a free repair.
my Ex had her 2010 chain replaced last year - quoted $3600. GM compromised and charged her $1000 citing that it wasn't under warranty but they know it was an issue. She had about 110K on it.

TJM

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Enclave, 2010 Buick Enclave
Hi, after some more research on the internet, it seems there're some people reporting timing chain on their 3.6L engines. This engine is shared by enclave, acadia and traverse. The most common reported problem is stretched timing chain. Does anyone here has this problem? It seems this problem develop after 40K miles. is this 3.6L engine an interference engine? If it's one of the interference engine, when the timing chain breaks the engine needs to be rebuilt and that will cost a lot of green bills. I've also heard that in order to replace the timing chain you have to lift the engine out of the car so it will cost a few thousand bucks.
Thanks for any info on that.
I have had three problems with 1 traverse (2009) and 2 enclaves. one 2009 and one 2010. the 2009 were fixed by extended warranty, the 2010, tough luck. I am surprised no one has filed a class action suit on these. My last buicks are in my garage right now. I am real disappointed with GM.

ioklady

Buick Ownership
2009 Buick Enclave
I believe we have timing chain issue as well on our newly purchased (less than 30 days) 2009 Buick Enclave. I am curious as to the first indications folks have that there is an issue. In other words, what symptoms occur that lead to the deduction that it could be or is the stretched timing chain? We are experiencing vibration and rough acceleration at 3-4 and 4-5 gear. Seems to me that would be transmission related?

TJM

Buick Ownership
Usually code warning comes on. the 2009 had an extended warranty on timung chains.

TJM

Buick Ownership
yes, check engine light will come on. Auto parts store will check codes for free. I owned a 2009 Enclave that was repaired under extended warranty. Both a wave plate repair and a timing chain chain. Good Luck both are very expensive.

TJM

Buick Ownership
yes, check engine light will come on. Auto parts store will check codes for free. I owned a 2009 Enclave that was repaired under extended warranty. Both a wave plate repair and a timing chain chain. Good Luck both are very expensive.
take to a reputable dealer

G-305366

I have a 2010 lacrosse after reading all these comments there is a problem with these engines.the timing chain was replaced in 04/2015 now the BUICK DEALERSHIP is telling me it needs to be replaced again.The check engine light is on and blinking their is in now blow back coming from the engine and they are telling me I need a new engine,at 129.120 mil.their is definitey a problem and GM should step up and do something, all the people with the same problems COME ON......

G-529091

I just discovered a timing belt issue on my 2012 LaCrosse. It has 108,000 miles. I am hoping a new belt/chain will fix the problem. I am not happy having to part with $1700, but probably much better than going to the dealership. The people at O'Reilly told me of the timing belt issue on LaCrosses, Enclaves, and Traverses.

Holly21

Buick Ownership
2009 Buick Enclave
Getting ready to take mine in. Full synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles by odometer, not by sticker. 90,060 miles. Codes are P0011, P0014, P0017 which are indicitive of the chain issue. At this mileage, there should not be an issue, especially with 5,000 mile intervals and full synthetic oil. Have contacted GM and have a case number started. Hoping for reduced labor cost, not necessarily a free repair.
Were you able to get this repair covered? If so, what phone number or email do I use to contact GM?

dmush

Buick Ownership
2010 Enclave CXL AWD
Any issues after all the repairs? I am faceing the time belt issues in my 2010 not going to be on warrenty for sure wondering if this is gonna be worth the fix?? Thanks

dlp750

Buick Ownership
2014 Enclave
It's not so much that the chain breaks, but there were some defectively built ones that stretched abnormally under use and will then cause odd issues.

These are covered by GM warranty, and haven't seemed to happen for a while now.
I just had mine replaced under warranty in a 2014 enclave with 39000 miles dealer said they do about 100 a year. No codes just a rattle when starting after sitting overnight ran fine used no oil always changed with AC Delco Dexos oil

Last edited:

G-151166

This is stupid . as GM has tricked people by first not recalling the SUV's and then not replacing the chains with the same freaking malfunctioning chain.
Horrible business practices..this should have made national headlines ..yet when I scan used car websites there are tons of these things for sale.

G-643781

I have a 2010 with 106,000 miles. Check engine light came on and Buick Dealer verified the timing chain "jumped a tooth". Estimated cost is $2300-$3000. I am not happy with the Buick and GM did not correct the problem from 2009 model year. I will be calling GM tomorrow. My situation is a lost cause, but I am hoping enough people will report this problem that GM will consider a recall/extended warranty. Nice, comfortable ride, but quality is very poor on this vehicle. For the record, AC quit working at 90,000 miles.
I am have the same exact problem on my 2014 Regal after replacing my fuel pump last month, I will never buy GM again.

Pedal Commander