Anyone have experience with GM Tech 2 scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS, '64 Karmann Ghia, '06 Elise
After reading about some of the things people have been able to do to our cars (mod so that the DRL LEDs staying on with headlights, adding boost gauge to DIC, etc.), I've been looking at the GM Tech 2. Online, there are versions for $1500, $3000, $4500, and $5400. What's the difference??

$1500 is acceptable if I can manipulate settings, but the others are just too much to justify.

What do you need to make changes to the DIC, or to have the car save settings on exit (eg. enable GS or Sport mode suspension every time you turn the car on)?

GTPprix

Metro Detroit, MI
Buick Ownership
Lacrosse CXS
Tech 2 doesnt even work on these cars (or any other Global A vehicle) and nothing commercially available is going to let you change anything. Both of the examples you listed are custom programming I developed personally.

Last edited:

gtkansan

Buick Ownership
Buick
Custom programmed how? Anyway someone like us could get this stuff on our gs?

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
Tech 2 doesnt even work on these cars (or any other Global A vehicle) and nothing commercially available is going to let you change anything. Both of the examples you listed are custom programming I developed personally.

Interesting... custom programmed with what... a laptop or particular software? Or do you work in the industry?

I am a programmer by profession, though it's for audiovisual technology.

Last edited:

nhflyer

Chris, so is it the newer GM MDI that you use to reprogram the modules? I've looked into it briefly... Pretty neat tool, runs wirelessly on batteries. But getting one is expensive, and it needs a subscription to get access to any of the GM database.

In any case, I'd really like to put some of the customizations you've done onto my GS, like the DRL mod and the performance menu. What other hidden features have you been able to find?

j_siegel

Buick Ownership
Buick
NH - I may buy an MDI and I'm in Boston.. Maybe we can work out a way to share it, since we're only about 45 minutes away.

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
I've been looking at buying one too. $1500 doesn't seem bad for something this capable, it's the $995 per year subscription that gets me.

j_siegel

Buick Ownership
Buick
Well, you can get 3 days at a time for $55. There's also GlobalTIS for Opel/Vauxhall that MIGHT work, but I'm unsure of the pricing on that.

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
Why the big secret, just let them know what tools you are using?

+1. :confused:

So Chris, how do we inquire about your services? Where can you tell us what your custom development is capable of... can we pick features off a list, or can we make custom requests? Or is it just the boxed $199 package that's on the Sellers' site? Or are you not interested at all?

Sorry for the trouble.

88 E5PR1T

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
Well, you can get 3 days at a time for $55. There's also GlobalTIS for Opel/Vauxhall that MIGHT work, but I'm unsure of the pricing on that.

I saw that too. I'm wondering if you only need the subscription for the few times you want to play with it? I've been googling and looking thru some other forums for info. Is like to find out what it's capable of before biting the bullet.

GTPprix

Metro Detroit, MI
Buick Ownership
Lacrosse CXS
+1. :confused:

So Chris, how do we inquire about your services? Where can you tell us what your custom development is capable of... can we pick features off a list, or can we make custom requests? Or is it just the boxed $199 package that's on the Sellers' site? Or are you not interested at all?

Sorry for the trouble.

Sorry you'll have to forgive me, my wife and I just had our first child so my time is unfortunately very limited right now. There are other things that can be done however the $199 is the current package. If you are looking for other stuff you can PM me or I'm not too hard to find :) I can do pretty much anything as long as its reasonable but I'd hate to see someone buy an MDI and TIS only to find out that all it does it 100% stone stock factory programming which would be 110% useless for anything like this.

GTPprix

Metro Detroit, MI
Buick Ownership
Lacrosse CXS
Thanks, this is why I'm scattered or may give short answers typically I'm posting from my phone LOL

j_siegel

Buick Ownership
Buick
Congrats Chris, and thanks for the reply! I still may get an MDI just because I found a dealer going out of business and he's selling it for peanuts.

As a curiosity, though, wouldn't the MDI be able to flash a modified hex file to the car - something from TIS that's been "hacked"? Or does it need to pass some sort of checksum verification? I guess I'm still not grasping why I couldn't grab the file for the Insignia OPC and upload it using SPS.

If you really can't, and now I'm just thinking out loud, the modules you reprogram (the IPC and the BCM) are addressable by SWCAN through the OBD port.. I haven't seen a cluster with the back plastic off, but there might also be an ISP or JTAG header on it. Then you would need to read the software (which is probably write protected - so you really would need TIS or some other inside access to the raw code to modify, unless it's just changing some register), make the changes, and upload it that way.

Sorry if I'm getting too close or stepping on toes, but I really don't like mysteries in my cars. Feel free not to answer me :)

edit: Well, for the IPC, I found a few white papers on reading the EEPROM on speedometers and flipping bits in HEX as I hypothesized in my other post. It looks like the speedometer is made by VDO, and at least for VW and Audi, the center LCD was reprogrammable by downloading the software, toggling a settling, and reuploading the software. From the VDO website, it says the FlexCluster is reprogrammable over KWP2000 on CAN. That cluster looks an awful lot like Global-A clusters..

edit2: Maybe, just maybe, we can't use the MDI because the code is stored to the flash RAM and the settings are stored in the EEPROM. The MDI is designed to not touch the EEPROM so as not to be able to adjust the mileage.

Last edited:

richmusch

Buick Ownership
Buick
J_sigel,

The Trifecta tune is modifying settings for boost and other parameters. How that is done, I'm not sure but Vince may help you out with this if you ask.

j_siegel

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks (Rich?), that post I linked to was more about modifying the BCM to add other features like auto windows-up and windows-down. The Trifecta tune is done using the J2534 protocol for ECU reprogramming, and Vince plays with the fuel maps (there are different maps based on fuel type, atmospheric pressure, etc). The hard part is not doing it, the hard part is doing it right. I'll leave my tuning to Vince, when the time comes :)

richmusch

Buick Ownership
Buick
If you can do it, more power to you. I am a software development manager and these kinds of things intrigue me. What would be nice is if you could figure out something like the windows up and down and be able to make it a file that can be emailed and uploaded via the OBD port. Again, good luck... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get your turbo buick badge right here!