Anyone know when they switched to ContiSilent tires?

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
2018 TourX with 12/17 build date so I am thinking it might not have the ContiSilent tires as the early builds didn’t. Anyone know a way to figure out if it does?

Last edited:

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
‘Conti-Silent’ is printed right on the sidewall.
Well, you learn something every day. 😄

Now I just have to wait for the car to come back from the dealer to confirm.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I never knew about these tires until three days ago. Service Director told me that Continental only supplies these tires to new GM cars. Not yet available at tire dealers. Said they have some kind of interior foam coating to suppress noise. Learn something every day.

Banto

Buick Ownership
Not yet available at tire dealers. Said they have some kind of interior foam coating to suppress noise. Learn something every day.
You can get them from Tire Rack. I might need to depending on whether I ended up getting them or not and how big the sound difference is.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ProContact+TX&partnum=35VR8PCTXCOSI&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Buick&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Regal TourX AWD&autoModClar=

FavaBean

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
For those who are interested, here's some pics of the inside of a conti-silent tire.

Oddly, mine don't seem to say conti-silent,
Mine don't either. So when I had to replace mine with 300 miles of wear due to a sidewall screw, I ordered from Tire Rack the version without foam... thinking it would match the rest of my tires. It didn't.

The non-foam tire is now on my driver's rear position and I don't notice any additional noise from the non-foam tire.

The foam is about 1 inch thick on the original. One picture shows that Continental didn't use a long enough piece of foam to fill the inner circumference of the tire. (I am also not sure why some foam has been ripped out and don't know if it was from the factory that way or if it happened at the local Firestone when they swapped out the tire.)

IMG_20190224_105910.jpg
IMG_20190224_105658.jpg
IMG_20190224_105623.jpg

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The ProContact TX has poor ratings. I put Continental Extreme DWS 06 on my wife's Regal and they are rated so much higher. Plus they are an Ultra high performance tire which is what a turbo Regal needs. Just looking at the tread design of both tires tells me the ProContact won't do well in the snow compared to the tread design of the Extreme Contact DWS.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
If I had those tires on my car I would put them up for sale in a heartbeat and buy some good tires. The procedure for repairing a puncture in the tire looks like a total hassle. Plus tires heat up when they are driven on, so the adhesive holding the foam could come loose and cause an out of balance condition. What the heck were the tire designers at Continental thinking?????

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
My Brother-in-law and sister buy a new Chevy Equanox every two years. They get Beaucoup Bucks off between Chevy incentives, dealer incentives and GM Credit Card incentives. He buys EVERYTHING with his GM credit card and that adds up to big discounts.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
They will probably last a year so get 2 sets since they are so cheap. The scary thing is there's no treadwear specs or any other info about the tire.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
They will probably last a year so get 2 sets since they are so cheap. The scary thing is there's no treadwear specs or any other info about the tire.
Nothing scary at all. When you pay $60 for a tyre, you don't (or shouldn't) care about the treadwear specs, or durability, or safety. Heck I'd be happy if they don't come off on the highway and give a 4 star review.

The scary thing would be those $60 tyres are properly spec'ed, follow all standards, longlasting, quieter, grippier, and comfier than the Michelins. THAT would be really scary. :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.