Anyone know when they switched to ContiSilent tires?

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
Has anyone seen any "independently obtained" objective evidence/data that supports the claim that the foam inserts actually reduce noise?

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
The Lexani tires get excellent reviews, most people are very pleased with them, and $63 low price delivered to your house or your local Walmart.

The only question I have is the OEMs on my Regal are Michelin Grand Touring V-rated, and these are High Performance W-rated. Will that give as smooth a ride, or should I stay with Grand Touring tires.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Cheap tires, Roll the Dice.

I put a set of cheap Firestone dedicated winter tires on my 2014 Forester.
They were fine in snow, with an aggressive thread, better than the all seasons, but the Subaru did not have much problem going in snow to start with.
Those damn Firestone's were deadly scary on slush, hard pack or ice however. They would let you down when you needed them most.
They wore too well, not like the Bridgestone Blizzak, that grips ice but wears out in two season. The Firestone's were hockey pucks.
I'm now running Michelin LTX tires now all year and they are not Michelin IceX's but these LTX all seasons are way safer on icy stuff than cheap "Snow" tires.
The Firestone's were winter rated. Now on 3 sets of LTX tires on our cars/truck, They do everything amazingly well as an all around tire, but have poor rolling resistance and suck more gas as their only downside.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Driving on about 1-2" of mixed loose and packed snow/marbles on the New York State Thruway around Buffalo, I can unequivocally tell you that these brand new Conti silent tires on my TourX suck!

The all season Nokians on my FWD Aztek brake and turn without me feeling like I'm going to slide forever in who knows what direction. And they are half the price.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Driving on about 1-2" of mixed loose and packed snow/marbles on the New York State Thruway around Buffalo, I can unequivocally tell you that these brand new Conti silent tires on my TourX suck!

The all season Nokians on my FWD Aztek brake and turn without me feeling like I'm going to slide forever in who knows what direction. And they are half the price.
Plan on registering our TourX Friday after sitting in my garage for 5 weeks. Sunday I was planing to go up to Canadian border with wife for first long ride, but that info makes me nervous.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Wow, these inexpensive tires get rave reviews. 1/4 the cost of the expensive Michelin OEM, I am going to pick some up this week.

Take this for what it's worth ... I was at a Michelin sponsored event last year. To demonstrate the shittiness of off-brand tires, they put brand new "Doral" all seasons on a BMW 3-series and had us run around a wet track. Then we got in a Chrysler minivan with standard OE-fitted Michelin all-seasons. The minivan easily out-handled the BMW and was far quicker around the track.

Now personally I'm not a fan of Michelin tires, but I can appreciate how much more quality is put into their tires compared to no name junk. You just need to decide if that's worth the extra dollars to you.

Banto

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence - Dark Moon Blue, 2018 Regal TourX Essence - Rioja Red, 2009 Enclave CXL
For those checkin later, the 12/17 build date does not have the Contisilent feature.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The Lexani tires get excellent reviews, most people are very pleased with them, and $63 low price delivered to your house or your local Walmart.

The only question I have is the OEMs on my Regal are Michelin Grand Touring V-rated, and these are High Performance W-rated. Will that give as smooth a ride, or should I stay with Grand Touring tires.
The OEM tires on my car were Michelin Primacy and they are Grand Touring All-Season tires. They were smooth and quiet with decent dry traction, but wet traction wasn't that good. I replaced them with Cooper Zeon RS3-G1's and they are just as quiet as the Michelins but the dry and wet traction is so much better. They are good on snow covered roads, but like you I have all wheel drive so they work well for me. They were $123 a piece at Walmart but now the price has gone up to $135 a tire which is still great price for an 18" ultra high performance tire.

Cmoneymillz

Buick Ownership
TourX
4/18 build date. Slightly disappointed they do NOT have the “silent” feature, just normal Conti procontact TX, which have mediocre reviews.

Typically, I am a fan of anything Michelin or General. Had conti DW tires (highly rated, at the time) on my STI and they were SO LOUD at 20k I ended up getting Michelin PSS. General Altimax Winters = amazing for the price.

Not anticipating these oem tires to be great. Likely will keep them on for a few summers and buy some dedicated winter tires next season.

Cmoneymillz

Buick Ownership
TourX
Of note, a 12/17 build date vehicle I looked at DID have the conti silent tires. Maybe the dealer replaced them later on? I prefer the updated UI anyways so I am happy w that for the longterm.

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
4/18 build date. Slightly disappointed they do NOT have the “silent” feature, just normal Conti procontact TX, which have mediocre reviews.
I wouldn't be disappointed. Basically the same carcass without the foam, and I've been unable to find any reliable data to prove that they provide a significant improvement in noise reduction. Did see some you tube videos on the topic but the test methods/protocols were a bit unscientific.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
The OEM tires on my car were Michelin Primacy and they are Grand Touring All-Season tires. They were smooth and quiet with decent dry traction, but wet traction wasn't that good. I replaced them with Cooper Zeon RS3-G1's and they are just as quiet as the Michelins but the dry and wet traction is so much better. They are good on snow covered roads, but like you I have all wheel drive so they work well for me. They were $123 a piece at Walmart but now the price has gone up to $135 a tire which is still great price for an 18" ultra high performance tire.
Do UHP tires give you a harsher or rougher ride than Grand Touring A/S tires? I live in Florida, should I put on Summer tires instead? Those don't seem to last very long.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I'd imagine the ContiSilent tires are impossible to fix using the kit provided, therefore only the cars equipped with backup tire will have them.

But anyways I'm probably switching to Michelin after I eat through the Conti.

mooooo

Buick Ownership
tourx
Of note, a 12/17 build date vehicle I looked at DID have the conti silent tires. Maybe the dealer replaced them later on? I prefer the updated UI anyways so I am happy w that for the longterm.
my understanding the problem was conti wasn't supplying enough tires. In general, when things like that happen, they take as many as they can get and use them. When they can't get them, they subsititute. I would not be surprised to learn that there's a car that has a mix of silents and not.

I'd imagine the ContiSilent tires are impossible to fix using the kit provided, therefore only the cars equipped with backup tire will have them.
I have contisilent tires, and the flat repair kit. No spare. If air can get out of the tire, the goop should find the leak.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.