Anyone know when they switched to ContiSilent tires?

mooooo

Buick Ownership
tourx
2/16 Michelin Primacy MXM

By the way, Car and Driver tested these sort of sound-cushioned tires and found they are quieter than regular tires by only 1 db.
Which is about 20% reduction in sound power, and clearly noticeable by most people with normal hearing, but not enough to really matter, given the low noise level to begin with.

The Tesla fanbois were saying 3 db, which is 50%, when Tesla made the change on the model S. That was also a change in tire, so the baseline tire noise could have gone down as well.

fng

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
I'd imagine the ContiSilent tires are impossible to fix using the kit provided, therefore only the cars equipped with backup tire will have them...
I've got a Sportback Essence with the Sights and Sounds package. It has a sub-woofer rather than a spare and came with a compressor and can of tire sealant. It has the ContiSilent tires
It was widely publicized that, due to a shortage of ContiSilent tires, FWD cars would get the ContiSilents and AWD cars wouldn't until supplies increased. I have no idea when the AWD vehicles got the ContiSilents.
Also, the ContiSilent logo on the sidewall is so small (and not located close to the ContiProContact logo), it's likely that some people have missed it.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Which is about 20% reduction in sound power, and clearly noticeable by most people with normal hearing, but not enough to really matter, given the low noise level to begin with.

The Tesla fanbois were saying 3 db, which is 50%, when Tesla made the change on the model S. That was also a change in tire, so the baseline tire noise could have gone down as well.
1 dB change in a sound equates to about a 26% difference in sound energy (remember that a 3 dB difference is a doubling of energy levels). In terms of subjective loudness, a 1 dB change yields just over a 7% change.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.