• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Anyone mess with OBD2AA?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I just started messing with this today but I am having minimal luck. Update speeds of the PIDs is slow and sometimes they just fail to show up at all. I hope I can get it working since it would be nice to have some values from Torque displayed on the main screen.

Attachments

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Choose less pids to scan.
Have you used it? I can have that many in Torque with no issues. The first time I tried it 4 out of 6 were updating about every second or so. The second time only one showed up at all. About to dig through the thread but it is over 300 pages.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Have you used it? I can have that many in Torque with no issues. The first time I tried it 4 out of 6 were updating about every second or so. The second time only one showed up at all. About to dig through the thread but it is over 300 pages.
No, but looks cool! Especially monitoring knock retardation.

Using HPTuners software and datlogging over the years the pids the faster the refresh rate.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Well I tried a single PID and it was slightly better but I really don't think this works very well. Still trying to figure out if it is my phone, OBD2 device, car or the app itself. Leaning towards the app since there are a few funky things going on and force closes that happen on occasion, but I have seen hardware cause that too.

Attachments

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
I saw a post about this on the FB TourX group, and I was looking into it last week. It would be neat to do, but seems like a fair bit of effort, and I don't think the developer is still updating. My concerns were that even if I can get it to work, it's one Android update (Or Torque app update) away from not working anymore.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
There was an update on September 11th or November 9th of last year, so it seems like he is still somewhat active with it. But you are right, it could lose support easily. Set up isn't hard, just a bit strange. My biggest gripe right now is the update speed of the PID(s). If I can get that right I will spend more time tweaking how it looks.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
I may have to give it a shot myself, then.

Is your OBD adapter connected to your phone via Bluetooth or WiFi?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Bluetooth. This morning I tried forgetting the BT of the car so it only connected to OBD2 dongle thinking maybe the speed issue was due to running simultaneous BT connections. I didn't see much if any difference. I have a few more BT dongles to try, perhaps this one is slow. It is a low profile one but I haven't had issues before. If that doesn't help I may try a different android device.

But beyond update speeds i still think there are bugs in the app. If I select 15 PIDs it will often allow me to pick what these are but will never display them all. Then sometimes if you go back anything over 5 is gone??? Probably something covered in the thread but I just haven't had the time to poke through it all to find a solution.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I may have to give it a shot myself, then.

Is your OBD adapter connected to your phone via Bluetooth or WiFi?
Is your phone rooted? If so i would look to do one of the other options that would completely mirror your phone and allow you to use all your apps. I have a locked boot loader so I can't and thought this might be a good option for me, but I am still on the fence about getting a phone to root.

Wag0n

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence | 2019 Envision Essence
Bluetooth. This morning I tried forgetting the BT of the car so it only connected to OBD2 dongle thinking maybe the speed issue was due to running simultaneous BT connections. I didn't see much if any difference. I have a few more BT dongles to try, perhaps this one is slow. It is a low profile one but I haven't had issues before. If that doesn't help I may try a different android device.

But beyond update speeds i still think there are bugs in the app. If I select 15 PIDs it will often allow me to pick what these are but will never display them all. Then sometimes if you go back anything over 5 is gone??? Probably something covered in the thread but I just haven't had the time to poke through it all to find a solution.
Just out of curiosity, what is Torque reporting your boost level in psi is under acceleration? How much vacuum are you pulling while at idle?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Ha ha...I think it was your sig pic I stole for a background. Honestly I am not sure, there were two PID's OBD2AA had that I was looking at but neither gave numbers that made any sense. One was Intake manifold pressure and the other was vacuum/boost I believe. The first one provided numbers under boost that seemed somewhat reasonable (high teens) but at idle wouldn't go below 2. On the flip side the vac/boost would show more realistic readings of -20's for vac at idle but I don't think I saw it go over 4. One thing I don't like about this app is I don't see a way to have it capture min or max values like you can in Torque. There it will leave a little red mark to indicate max value, so when you stomp on it you don't have to watch the gauge, you can keep your eyes on the road. Today I am driving my A4 so no chance to check it but next time I am in the TourX I will see what Torque reports directly.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
Is your phone rooted? If so i would look to do one of the other options that would completely mirror your phone and allow you to use all your apps. I have a locked boot loader so I can't and thought this might be a good option for me, but I am still on the fence about getting a phone to root.
My main phone is not rooted, but I do have an older Nexus 6 that I previously rooted and could easily do so again if desired. I'd still prefer to not bother with that option, though.
I'd like to keep this simple, considering I can relatively easily install my cell phone mount for the few times I'd bother driving around with my OBDII reader plugged in.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
Honestly I am not sure, there were two PID's OBD2AA had that I was looking at but neither gave numbers that made any sense. One was Intake manifold pressure and the other was vacuum/boost I believe. The first one provided numbers under boost that seemed somewhat reasonable (high teens) but at idle wouldn't go below 2. On the flip side the vac/boost would show more realistic readings of -20's for vac at idle but I don't think I saw it go over 4.
I still haven't figured out the proper reading either. I suspect that the Intake Manifold Pressure indicator reading is an already-adjusted boost pressure (gauge vs absolute) because mine doesn't go negative either. I didn't get any reading at all when I tried the Turbo option in TorquePro.

Turbo Buick Badge