Anyone Use Carvana, Carmax etc to Sell?

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo (totalled 9/19)
While I love my Regal Turbo - and it's manual transmission - I am going to moving on after nearly 10 years and 94K miles. The car has been relatively problem free. I am either going to sell the car myself or use one of the services like Carmax, Carvana, Vroom.

To test pricing, all the services above came well well under trade value or sale value. I understand they need to pick up the car, service it for resale, market it, etc. - and then make some money. However, the difference was really significant and a bit of a surprise. I suppose a factor could be that they don't want to sit on a car with a manual transmission? I am not sure.

Has anyone had experience in working with these companies? Good? Bad? I likely will put the car up for sale for a couple weeks to see if I can sell it myself first. If no traction in a couple weeks, then I will look to one of the services. For the manual enthusiast, it could be a cool car. However, I know that audience is limited.

I appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:

fastNYsix

upstate NY
Buick Ownership
1985 Regal Limited 6.0, 1987 GN, 2011 Regal T
I've tried carmax a few times and their offer was too low. A friend of mine sold a truck to carmax however and he did pretty good. How much will you be asking for it?

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
On a private party sale, I would think $5-6K - which actually is on the lower side of KBB estimate range. From the services, I had quotes as low as $1700 (Vroom). Others in the range 0f $3200 to $4000 IIRC.

When I look at market prices from sellers online (AutoTrader, Car Gurus) I am seeing 2011-2013 Regals - most with higher mileage - posted at $7-8K. Given however, those are dealers so they have skin in the vehicles to clean, service and prep as would a Carmax, Vroom.

fastNYsix

upstate NY
Buick Ownership
1700 wow!, that's an insult. Can you post some pics. Were timing chains ever done?

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
here is a pic from May. Timing chains have never been done. Don't believe that to be a maintenance item thus far, correct? Regal May 2020.jpg

fastNYsix

upstate NY
Buick Ownership
Nice,
Is that carbon black or dark blue? Is there a tune or any aftermarket parts on it? Hard to say when is a good time to do the chains. I've done them after it was too late on cars from 85-150k.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
I'm curious what you're moving on to next; I remember the video you posted after your Verano was totaled and they hauled it away on a flatbed. I'm angling for an off-lease CT4-V as my next car in 2022 or so.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
Well, after pretty much driving manuals my whole life (except for a couple company cars - not offered in MT) it is darn near impossible to find a current non-sports car with a manual. And sports cars too! So, I am skipping the AT to go to no tranny and a Tesla Model Y.

I am not an SUV person but my wife and I decided one of us should have one. So, I was looking at the RDX, Stelvio and Model Y. I decided to take the electric plunge as NJ has no sales tax on EVs currently, also offers a $5k rebate on EVs and $500 towards installation of home charging (coming soon). Too rich to pass up and want to take advantage of those incentives before they go away.

The CT5-V was on my lust-after list too.

rodslinger

Atlanta, GA
Buick Ownership
14 Regal GS
Sold mine a few weeks ago to a company out of NJ called ALGO (autolendersgo.com)

Here is the ad for it.

They gave me $13500 and picked it up at my house. It needed tires and had some curb rash on all four wheels. Otherwise the body, interior and mechanicals were perfect.

All the offers I had from Carvana, Carmax, Vroom or local dealers were between $9800 and $11000. Best offer I ever got trying to sell it locally was only $12500.

TurboLover

Central NJ
Buick Ownership
Sold mine a few weeks ago to a company out of NJ called ALGO (autolendersgo.com)

Here is the ad for it.

They gave me $13500 and picked it up at my house. It needed tires and had some curb rash on all four wheels. Otherwise the body, interior and mechanicals were perfect.

All the offers I had from Carvana, Carmax, Vroom or local dealers were between $9800 and $11000. Best offer I ever got trying to sell it locally was only $12500.

Thanks - will check them out.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
On used vehicles the used car dealers use what's referred to as black book value which is wholesale pricing. If looking at blue book or other online resources of vehicle value it's a retail guideline as much as the Antique Roadshow, but some vehicles makes/models are hot used market sellers that will influence the price higher and on the other hand some are dogs that have long lot times or will go straight to auction.

If looking at the used car online sites and checking what the going rate is across the country there is absolutely no logic on pricing as same option vehicles one that has higher mileage and 2 years older is more expensive than a 2 year newer with lower mileage.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!