• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

ASS went away?

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
I thought I saw something on this in this Forum, searched for it to no avail, so starting a new thread.

The Auto Start Stop (ASS) on our 2019 TourX Essence - has had a few times when it wouldn't ASS, I thought that was due to the car having been unused a few days, cold weather, electronic steering wheel heat on. After driving 60 mi or so, turning off other electric loads, ASS worked as usual again (boo, but that's how it's supposed to work, I thought).

Last couple days we've put about 250 miles on, but still no ASS. Yes, it's cold here in the northeast this week, but do you think the battery is going, or something else going on? Instrument panel shows battery at 14.4 volts, (have seen it as high as14.9), not really ever below 14.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
I thought I saw something on this in this Forum, searched for it to no avail, so starting a new thread.

The Auto Start Stop (ASS) on our 2019 TourX Essence - has had a few times when it wouldn't ASS, I thought that was due to the car having been unused a few days, cold weather, electronic steering wheel heat on. After driving 60 mi or so, turning off other electric loads, ASS worked as usual again (boo, but that's how it's supposed to work, I thought).

Last couple days we've put about 250 miles on, but still no ASS. Yes, it's cold here in the northeast this week, but do you think the battery is going, or something else going on? Instrument panel shows battery at 14.4 volts, (have seen it as high as14.9), not really ever below 14.
If you see those readings with the engine running that is the alternator output not the battery charge.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
At what temperature does ASS turn off on the Regals? On our Chevy Cruze it won't activate under 40F. I know it's definitely lower than 40 for the Regal.

Rk54Strat

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
TourX
I had the same issues. Dealer changed the battery (under warranty) and the ever annoying ASS no works flawlessly.

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
If the ASS went away with a new battery, you simply had a case of the GONE ASS.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Since your car is a 2018, and it’s cold, like others said, it’s probably your battery. My ASS still works, but I’ve got other weird symptoms like steering jerk when ASS wakes up and rear guidelines disappearing while backing up. i need to take a trip to the dealership to have that and my Bluetooth and squealing brakes looked at.

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
Thanks all - sounds like a trip to the Dealer is in order. We've been up in the Adirondacks last few days, and it (2019 TourX) sat in 10 degree weather the other night, it's snowing nicely now, low 30's. Started fine after the 10-degree sit. I don't have a trickle-charger up here, have been wondering if I should put the portable jump-start charger on it at all - thoughts?

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
One of the bulletted items in the TourX manual says ASS will operate when:

"The outside temperature is not in the required operating range."

But, no wonder I don't know - what is that range? That manual is not too helpful. Anybody know?

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
Back to the original topic of the OPs ass going away, I’m sure after all the Thanksgiving feasting, the ASS will come back :)
these days it seems to go to the wrong place

Reno and Plumas County CA
Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
My ASS has gone away too, the car is less than 2 years old (since delivery that is.) If the battery needs to be replaced could this possibly be covered under warranty?
My car languished on the lot in Salt Lake nearly 2 years before I bought her, probably had a lot rot battery to begin with.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
My ASS has gone away too, the car is less than 2 years old (since delivery that is.) If the battery needs to be replaced could this possibly be covered under warranty?
My car languished on the lot in Salt Lake nearly 2 years before I bought her, probably had a lot rot battery to begin with.
Should be 4 years bumper to bumper, check with the dealer.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence

Absolutely. I'm on my 3rd battery - all covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. I brought mine to AutoZone first for a free battery test and they confirmed it was bad.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Absolutely. I'm on my 3rd battery - all covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. I brought mine to AutoZone first for a free battery test and they confirmed it was bad.
I have never been to AutoZone to test the battery.
Do they use something like this where I can also test at home?
62bc7f78-aa64-482c-8846-5ecbd7f08d97_1.eb09dc53ba866690f089479d20851a64.jpeg

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I have never been to AutoZone to test the battery.
Do they use something like this where I can also test at home?
62bc7f78-aa64-482c-8846-5ecbd7f08d97_1.eb09dc53ba866690f089479d20851a64.jpeg
When I worked in auto parts we used a load tester to test batteries. It needs to put a load on the battery, not just check voltage. This looks like a more modern version of what I used to use.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
When I worked in auto parts we used a load tester to test batteries. It needs to put a load on the battery, not just check voltage. This looks like a more modern version of what I used to use.
Great. Found one on sale for under $30.
Thank you for the info. :thumpsup:

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners